FlashBurn

Are balance druids (boomkins) good in raiding

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

I don't really like my class changes to my mains. I've decided that I am going to do a last minute re roll as a caster / rdps and get into the raiding scene in Legion. I initially thought about a hunter or a mage, but there are already a million of those out there, which means it may be harder to get into a guild as a hunter or a mage because most guilds likely already have a few on there raid teams. After a little bit of reading about Legion class changes and looking at a few different class/spec rotations on Icy Veins, the balance druid started to peak my interest. Which brings me to my question: Are balance druids (boomkins) good in raiding? Are they sought after (are guilds always recruiting them)? Or are there a million of them so there will never be openings for that class in most guilds. Basically are they a viable raiding spec. What is their role in a raid? Are they a pretty simple class to learn or is there a high learning curve? 

Anyone who has raided around balance/boomkin druids or even has or does raid as one, could you please give me some info. Thank you!

There is a lot of points in your original post that I want to go into...

You say that you don't wan to go to either Mage or Hunter because there are already raiding guilds that have these already. the honest answer any guild leader will tell you is: a good mage/hunter/shaman/druid/anyotherclass is better then the one you currently have. If you can play insert random spec here to the maximum potential then you will be picked up by a guild. I'd rather have a 15th Balance Druid if they can produce an amazing result every time. 

Balance Druids have been amazing on some fights due to the use of Starfall although it has been changed for Leigion to no longer offer you the same gimic that was used on blackhand. That being said it is very rare to see no boomkin in a raid.

You seem to be looking for that class/spec that is wanted by a every guild..... that's something called Flavor of the month. Something that I'd highly recommend steering  away from.  

If you want to be something extremely sort after then do pay attention to Realm Pop (https://realmpop.com/eu.html). This website tracks the Armory data for characters. It can't show you who has what alt but it does give for some amazing reading. For example 11.3% of all max characters in the EU are druids. (note: Not players). This means that there are a lot of druids out there. The only one that beats it is the Hunters.

If you want to play something sought after prehapse think'; hey there are currently monks as the least played class. Prehapse I should play one of those.

My main advice for someone wanting to become a druid? You should never consider being just one spec. With the change of no longer having just dual spec you should consider joining druids for the fact that you can become anything. 

• Need more melee? Kitty!
  • Need a tank? Bear!
  • Need a healer? TREE!

If you honestly want to be a DPSer and never tank or heal; Cosider a Warlock, Mage, Rouge or Hunter. Not something that can be 4 different specs during one raid.

Balance has been viable at essentially all times since TLK (they had handicaps that kept them from being an optimal DPS class in TBC). It can deal with multiple mobs that are either spread out or stacked together, unlike say, Fire Mage. It has amazing mobility and survivability. It has a cooldown that benefits healers, a battle raise, and the flexibility to be able to change spec to suit encounters.

But Balance off-healing got essentially done away with, now that we are forced to choose between the 10% damage reduction and the Ysera's Gift passive - plus the entire tier that included Nature's Vigil and DoC has been replaced. We are definitely not to be considered healer hybrids any longer. Also, other casters, Elemental Shamans in particular, bring utility abilities to the raid that we simply can't hold a candle to. But are we going to be viable for raiding? Hell yeah. There is nothing to be concerned about there.

• Like 2

I'll just add to what Flickle said - you should pick a class that suits you most. I've played mage at some point, and was good at it, but felt like I was missing something. And I found that in druid. As Flickle said - druid is not one spec, since WoTLK (don't know about TBC/Vanilla) it has been 4 specs in one class. Cant speak about legion, but MoP/WoD druid was very flexible class. Back in MoP I've saved my raid quite a few times as offhealer if our healers messed up. Back in Spoils of Pandaria encounter I even finished half of the fight as boomkin healer for other side (fight required group to split into two, so we had 2x5 man groups). And I really liked it. Yeah, it was a shame I couldn't blow up meters, but I saved the raid, we got the kill - it was nice :) Druid is love, druid is life :D

As for the balance raiding specifically - I got into it at MoP SoO raid. I really loved the playstyle of balance, it was really awesome. It took me lots of time to master, but the knowing that I still have ton of room for improvement was driving me forward. And then WoD hit. After playing two years as WoD Boomkin main I can say that WoD Boomkin was a joke. If we could cast while running we would be worse than hunters (no offense). It required almost no skill, just following moving bar and casting according to it... it was stupid. BRF tier has given a bit of "something" for balance and.... HFC took it to RNG and pasives again. Despite of that - I still loved my boomie, got used to my toolkit, helped a bit with pasive healing, roaring and such. Even though my rotation was crap, I still enjoyed being a druid. I even got a Guardian OS as my group needed it at one time. And needless to say - after a while I started enjoying playing that as well. 

Looking forward Legion raiding - balance seems to be back somewhere to MoP level of interest again. I've tried out it in HFC myth and it's requiring all of my atention and planning and such - I like it already. We will see what lvl 110 + artifact gives us, but I feel that balance will be great (again). And by saying "great" I mean gameplay, not numbers. Back in MoP as a dps I felt inferior to "pure dps" classes, I could not pull even close numbers to warlocks (he he) but I liked it more than WoD where in most fights I top the meters, but feel like doing nothing fantastic rattion-wise.

As for "how hard balance druid is" - MoP for me it was easy to learn, hard to master. WoD it was a bit harder to learn, and like nothing to master. Can't tell about Legion. It all depends on what you are used to. 

So all in all - play what you like, learn, master - be the best you can with it, and you will be desired for raiding. Numbers change every month or so, sometimes even faster, so find what suits you and stick to it :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Patch 7.3 adds entirely new crafted items for professions and a new obliterum to increase their item level up to a max of 935. We datamined all new recipes that were added in Build 24473. Most of them are tied to new Profession quests.
      Instead of bumping crafted items that existed since Legion launch, Blizzard decided to add an entirely new tier of items, available on Argus (no-fly zone).
      Professions
      Crafed gear can be upgraded through Primal Obliterum by +5 ilvls (up to a maximum level of 935). Requires 1 Primal Sargerite and the target item must be soulbound New Items
      Astral Glory - new Argus herb Empyrium - new Argus ore Fiendish Leather - new Argus leather Lightweave Cloth - new Argus cloth Primal Sargerite - new reagent from Transmuting (requires 25 Bloods of Sargeras) New Gems Argulite Chemirine Labradorite Lightsphene Alchemy
      Lightblood Elixir - Use: Increases damage by 100,000 against demons. Only usable outdoors on Argus and the Broken Isles. Lasts 30 min.
      Lightblood Elixir (Rank 1) Lightblood Elixir (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Lightblood Elixir (Rank 3) - chance to create multiple elixirs Astral Alchemist Stone - new ilvl 885 trinket
      Astral Alchemist Stone (Rank 1) Astral Alchemist Stone (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Astral Alchemist Stone (Rank 3) - chance to create multiple stones Tears of the Naaru - Use: Shows the location of all nearby demons on the minimap for 30 min.
      Tears of the Naaru (Rank 1) Tears of the Naaru (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Tears of the Naaru (Rank 3) - chance to create multiple Tears of the Naaru New Transmutation - Transmute: Primal Sargerite > Primal Sargerite
      Blacksmithing
      Empyrial Breastplate - new ilvl 885 Plate Chest
      Empyrial Rivets are needed to craft the Chest Empyrial Breastplate (Rank 1) Empyrial Breastplate (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Empyrial Breastplate (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft Felslate Anchor (Felslate Anchor) - Use: Attach an anchor to your legs which sends you plummeting towards the ocean floor. Only usable in water.
      Cooking
      Feast of the Fishes (Recipe: Feast of the Fishes) - Use: Set out a Feast of the Fishes to feed up to 50 people in your raid or party! Restores 2,400,000 health and 1,200,000 mana over 20 sec. Must remain seated while eating. If you spend at least 10 seconds eating you will obtain all of the powers of a fish.
      Fishing Artifact
      Underlight Emerald (Deep Green) new green appearance for Underlight Angler Herbalism
      Astral Glory - Restores 1% health every 5 sec for 15 min
      Astral Glory - Gather Astral Glory more effectively Astral Glory - Find rare materials when gathering Astral Glory Astral Glory - Receive a chance to gain a small heal over time when gathering Astral Glory Engineering
      Gravitational Reduction Slippers (Schematic: Gravitational Reduction Slippers) - Use: Affix the Gravitational Reduction Slippers to your current footwear allowing you to jump higher and fall farther. Wormhole Generator: Argus (Schematic: Wormhole Generator: Argus) - Use: Teleports the player to a random location on Argus. Inscription
      Mass Mill Astral Glory - Mill multiple Astral Glory at once Jewelcrafting
      Design List: Argus Crowns - Jewelcrafters can now craft ilvl 885 crowns
      Empyrial Crown of the Cosmos - new ilvl 885 Cloth Helm
      Empyrial Crown of the Cosmos (Rank 1) Empyrial Crown of the Cosmos (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Empyrial Crown of the Cosmos (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft Empyrial Crown of the Depths - new ilvl 885 Leather Helm
      Empyrial Crown of the Depths (Rank 1) Empyrial Crown of the Depths (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Empyrial Crown of the Depths (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft Empyrial Crown of the Elements - new ilvl 885 Mail Helm
      Empyrial Crown of the Elements (Rank 1) Empyrial Crown of the Elements (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Empyrial Crown of the Elements (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft Empyrial Crown of the Titans - new ilvl 885 Plate Helm
      Empyrial Crown of the Titans (Rank 1) Empyrial Crown of the Titans (Rank 2) Empyrial Crown of the Titans (Rank 3) Design List: Argus Gemcutting - epic Gems have been added to the game
      Deadly Deep Chemirine - +250 Primary Stat and +188 Critical Strike Masterful Argulite - +250 Primary Stat and +188 Mastery Quick Lightsphene - +250 Primary Stat and +188 Haste Versatile Labradorite - +250 Primary Stat and +188 Versatility Mass Prospect Empyrium - Prospect multiple batches of Empyrium at once
      Leatherworking
      Fiendish Shoulderguards - new ilvl 885 Leather Shoulders
      Fiendish Shoulderguards (Rank 1) Fiendish Shoulderguards (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Fiendish Shoulderguards (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft Fiendish Spaulders - new ilvl 885 Mail Shoulders
      Fiendish Spaulders (Rank 1) Fiendish Spaulders (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Fiendish Spaulders (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft Mining
      New Mining Techniques have been added to the game
      Empyrium Deposit (Rank 1) - Increase the amount of material found in Empyrium Deposits Empyrium Deposit (Rank 2) - Chance to find rare materials in Empyrium Deposits Empyrium Deposit (Rank 3) - Increase the amount of material found in Empyrium Deposits Empyrium Seam (Rank 1) - Increase the amount of material found in Empyrium Seams Empyrium Seam (Rank 2) - Chance to find rare materials in Empyrium Seams Empyrium Seam (Rank 3) - Increase the amount of material found in Empyrium Seams Skinning
      New Skinning Techniques have been added to the game
      Fiendish Leather (Skinning Technique: Fiendish Leather (Rank 1)) - Gather Fiendish Leather more effectively Fiendish Leather (Skinning Technique: Fiendish Leather (Rank 2)) - Find rare metarials when gathering Fiendish Leather Fiendish Leather (Skinning Technique: Fiendish Leather (Rank 3)) - Gather Fiendish Leather more effectively Tailoring
      Lightweave Breeches - new ilvl 885 Cloth Legs (Design: Lightweave Breeches (Rank 1))
      Lightweave Breeches (Rank 1) Lightweave Breeches (Rank 2) - more efficient craft Lightweave Breeches (Rank 3) - even more efficient craft
    • By Stan

Primal Obliterum can only upgrade new Patch 7.3 crafted items to item level 935. Pre-7.3 items can only be upgraded to 900 with Obliterum.
      To upgrade Obliterum into Primal Obliterum, you will need 1 Obliterum & 1 Primal Sargerite. Another Primal Sargerite will be consumed when you upgrade an item with Primal Obliterum by 5 ilvls.

New 7.3 Crafted Gear
      Only the following items can be upgraded to 935. It doesn't matter if you craft older items after 7.3 goes live, they won't go beyond 900.
      Astral Alchemist Stone Empyrial Breastplate Design List: Argus Crowns Fiendish Shoulderguards Fiendish Spaulders Lightweave Breeches Placeholder for tweet 897964671298265088
    • By Stan

Obliterum has been a steady gold maker during Legion, but what's the future of crafted items in Patch 7.3?
      Patch 7.3 added the following strings to the game:
      "SPELL_FAILED_CUSTOM_ERROR_345","This item requires basic Obliterum to upgrade."
      "SPELL_FAILED_CUSTOM_ERROR_346","This item requires Primal Obliterum to upgrade."
      We did some testing on PTR and old crafted pre-7.3 gear (ilvl 835/850) can be upgraded with Obliterum up to ilvl 900. You can't use Obliterum to upgrade the new 7.3 crafted items. Instead, you will need to use Primal Obliterum that can upgrade it up to ilvl 935.
      Primal Obliterum is forged by combining a new Blood of Sargeras called Primal Sargerite and good old Obliterum. Primal Sargerite can be transmuted by Alchemists (Transmute: Primal Sargerite) at the cost of 25 Bloods of Sargeras. There are various sources of Primal Sargerite (world quests, shoulder enchant etc). The item's required for many new recipes, so a person would be forced to have Alchemy and that's not a design Blizzard would choose.
      The good news is Obliterum will still be profitable in 7.3 and if you plan to sell Primal Obliterum, you will need to combine Obliterum with Primal Sargerite.
    • By FoxShine
      Hello! This is Fox from Velocity. We're a not-so-hardcore morning Mythic raiding guild on Sargeras. Currently 1/9M, 9/9H ToS. Last tier we reached 7/10M NH in the two months leading up to ToS. Now we'll be focusing on Mythic ToS progression. A fun fact about us, since were a morning guild we actually got 2 realm 1st's on Heroic. Worldwide our H Goroth kill was 15th, and Demonic Inquisition was 8th (according to wowprogress). Were looking for good and reliable players for our roster, mainly DPS, who can learn the fights quickly and attend our early raid times. 
      [A] <Velocity> 1/9M 9/9H (7/10M) - MORNING raid LFM
      Raid Times: 10am-1pm CST | Tues/Wed/Thurs / Mon(Opt/Alt)[/quote]

Looking for:
      Currently Need
      Ranged - Mage, Ele Sham, Hunter, Warlock, Boomkin
      Melee - Rogue, Ret Pally, Warrior, Demon Hunter
      Healer - Disc Priest, Resto Sham, Holy Pal.
      Would consider

Tank - Flex Bear, Vengeance DH/ Havoc
        Requirements: 
      Item Lvl:  915+/-
      Exp:  9/9H (Pref), 8/9H ok

*Specific classes are listed above as preference. However, any class is welcomed! We will consider anyone who is willing to join and can commit to our raid times, we may also make exceptions if you are under the requirements.

Expectations:
      We’re not super hardcore, we like having fun, but we do have high standards; so we expect our raiders to play their class well, come prepared, FOLLOW MECHANICS, have a sense of humor (or not) and adapt quickly. Prior Mythic raiding experience is a plus, though not necessary if you're a fast learner. 
      Due to our morning raid times, we encourage everybody to communicate about attendance via Calendar invites, Discord channels, or through tells with an officer. It’s important to know who will be available week-by-week so we can make arrangements for raid days. This is necessary to avoid setbacks and keep up with progression! We are very understanding when someone needs to post-out. Schedules change, things come up and real life always comes first. All we ask is for a heads up!
        Perks: Feasts, Codex, Spirit Cauldrons, near-unlimited guild repairs, and the occasional gem or enchants. We run alt raids and Mythic+ 15s with each other each week. We're a tight-knit guild, who's always joking around and helping each other out. We also play other games together outside of WoW, like Overwatch, SC2, Heroes, Diablo, Dota2, LoL and whatever else.

Additional Info: The morning slot is kind of niche, so it’s important we find players who are dedicated and realistic with their schedules.
      Our Officers are veteran players who have experience raiding at high levels, as well as a majority of our core players. We want to uphold a certain level of standard, the point being that we can joke and have fun while getting stuff done.
      If we sound like a good fit, let us know! Leave a reply here, send us a tell on BNET or in game. Or be old school and send an in-game mail! Thanks for reading, and we hope to hear from you soon! =D

Fox#1713
      Peach#1423 
      Ezmaya#1410
    • By Stan

Last week, Bay sat down with wordup and talked about Enhancement Shamans in Legon. He's back with another very detailed videos for all Brewmaster Monk players.
      In the 152nd episode he's joined by BrewingScribe & Paoanii (Envy).