FlashBurn

Are balance druids (boomkins) good in raiding

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

I don't really like my class changes to my mains. I've decided that I am going to do a last minute re roll as a caster / rdps and get into the raiding scene in Legion. I initially thought about a hunter or a mage, but there are already a million of those out there, which means it may be harder to get into a guild as a hunter or a mage because most guilds likely already have a few on there raid teams. After a little bit of reading about Legion class changes and looking at a few different class/spec rotations on Icy Veins, the balance druid started to peak my interest. Which brings me to my question: Are balance druids (boomkins) good in raiding? Are they sought after (are guilds always recruiting them)? Or are there a million of them so there will never be openings for that class in most guilds. Basically are they a viable raiding spec. What is their role in a raid? Are they a pretty simple class to learn or is there a high learning curve? 

Anyone who has raided around balance/boomkin druids or even has or does raid as one, could you please give me some info. Thank you!

There is a lot of points in your original post that I want to go into...

You say that you don't wan to go to either Mage or Hunter because there are already raiding guilds that have these already. the honest answer any guild leader will tell you is: a good mage/hunter/shaman/druid/anyotherclass is better then the one you currently have. If you can play insert random spec here to the maximum potential then you will be picked up by a guild. I'd rather have a 15th Balance Druid if they can produce an amazing result every time. 

Balance Druids have been amazing on some fights due to the use of Starfall although it has been changed for Leigion to no longer offer you the same gimic that was used on blackhand. That being said it is very rare to see no boomkin in a raid.

You seem to be looking for that class/spec that is wanted by a every guild..... that's something called Flavor of the month. Something that I'd highly recommend steering  away from.  

If you want to be something extremely sort after then do pay attention to Realm Pop (https://realmpop.com/eu.html). This website tracks the Armory data for characters. It can't show you who has what alt but it does give for some amazing reading. For example 11.3% of all max characters in the EU are druids. (note: Not players). This means that there are a lot of druids out there. The only one that beats it is the Hunters.

If you want to play something sought after prehapse think'; hey there are currently monks as the least played class. Prehapse I should play one of those.

My main advice for someone wanting to become a druid? You should never consider being just one spec. With the change of no longer having just dual spec you should consider joining druids for the fact that you can become anything. 

• Need more melee? Kitty!
  • Need a tank? Bear!
  • Need a healer? TREE!

If you honestly want to be a DPSer and never tank or heal; Cosider a Warlock, Mage, Rouge or Hunter. Not something that can be 4 different specs during one raid.

Balance has been viable at essentially all times since TLK (they had handicaps that kept them from being an optimal DPS class in TBC). It can deal with multiple mobs that are either spread out or stacked together, unlike say, Fire Mage. It has amazing mobility and survivability. It has a cooldown that benefits healers, a battle raise, and the flexibility to be able to change spec to suit encounters.

But Balance off-healing got essentially done away with, now that we are forced to choose between the 10% damage reduction and the Ysera's Gift passive - plus the entire tier that included Nature's Vigil and DoC has been replaced. We are definitely not to be considered healer hybrids any longer. Also, other casters, Elemental Shamans in particular, bring utility abilities to the raid that we simply can't hold a candle to. But are we going to be viable for raiding? Hell yeah. There is nothing to be concerned about there.

• Like 2

I'll just add to what Flickle said - you should pick a class that suits you most. I've played mage at some point, and was good at it, but felt like I was missing something. And I found that in druid. As Flickle said - druid is not one spec, since WoTLK (don't know about TBC/Vanilla) it has been 4 specs in one class. Cant speak about legion, but MoP/WoD druid was very flexible class. Back in MoP I've saved my raid quite a few times as offhealer if our healers messed up. Back in Spoils of Pandaria encounter I even finished half of the fight as boomkin healer for other side (fight required group to split into two, so we had 2x5 man groups). And I really liked it. Yeah, it was a shame I couldn't blow up meters, but I saved the raid, we got the kill - it was nice :) Druid is love, druid is life :D

As for the balance raiding specifically - I got into it at MoP SoO raid. I really loved the playstyle of balance, it was really awesome. It took me lots of time to master, but the knowing that I still have ton of room for improvement was driving me forward. And then WoD hit. After playing two years as WoD Boomkin main I can say that WoD Boomkin was a joke. If we could cast while running we would be worse than hunters (no offense). It required almost no skill, just following moving bar and casting according to it... it was stupid. BRF tier has given a bit of "something" for balance and.... HFC took it to RNG and pasives again. Despite of that - I still loved my boomie, got used to my toolkit, helped a bit with pasive healing, roaring and such. Even though my rotation was crap, I still enjoyed being a druid. I even got a Guardian OS as my group needed it at one time. And needless to say - after a while I started enjoying playing that as well. 

Looking forward Legion raiding - balance seems to be back somewhere to MoP level of interest again. I've tried out it in HFC myth and it's requiring all of my atention and planning and such - I like it already. We will see what lvl 110 + artifact gives us, but I feel that balance will be great (again). And by saying "great" I mean gameplay, not numbers. Back in MoP as a dps I felt inferior to "pure dps" classes, I could not pull even close numbers to warlocks (he he) but I liked it more than WoD where in most fights I top the meters, but feel like doing nothing fantastic rattion-wise.

As for "how hard balance druid is" - MoP for me it was easy to learn, hard to master. WoD it was a bit harder to learn, and like nothing to master. Can't tell about Legion. It all depends on what you are used to. 

So all in all - play what you like, learn, master - be the best you can with it, and you will be desired for raiding. Numbers change every month or so, sometimes even faster, so find what suits you and stick to it :) 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Starym

We're getting two more days of testing on Antorus bosses, this time mostly focused on Raid Finder, with Wednesday being all about the Forbidden Descent part of the raid and Hope's End coming on Friday and will remain open over the weekend.
      October 18-24 (source)
      Wednesday, October 18th - Friday, October 20th
      Forbidden Descent - Raid Finder Antorus, the Burning Throne
      13:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Friday, October 20th
      Varimathras - Mythic Antorus, the Burning Throne
      13:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Aggramar - Mythic Antorus, the Burning Throne
      14:00 PDT (17:00 EDT, 23:00 CEST)
      Hope's End - Raid Finder Antorus, the Burning Throne
      15:00 PDT (16:00 EDT, 22:00 CEST)
      Hope's End Raid Finder will remain open over the weekend.
      As always, this testing schedule is very fluid and subject to the realities of a PTR environment. We might have to change the time of a testing session, change the bosses being tested, or cancel a test entirely, due to bugs, server hardware issues, etc. Keep an eye on this forum for the latest information, and thank you in advance for testing and providing feedback.
      Q: How do I get into the raid zone?
      A: In Dalaran, Orgrimmar, or Stormwind, you may speak to Nexus-Lord Donjon Rade Sr. in order to teleport into the raid zone while it is open for testing. (The option to teleport into a zone will not be available when the zone is not open for testing.)
      Q: What character should I use to test the raid?
      A: Whichever you prefer. We will be scaling players' effective level to 110 for raid testing, and their item level to an appropriate threshold for the encounter(s) being tested.
      Q: How long does testing last?
      A: The primary purpose of testing is to give us the information we need to balance the encounters, evaluate how mechanics are playing out in practice, and identify bugs. Once we're satisfied that we've received that information for a given boss, we'll be shutting down testing. Usually this takes anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours, but there are no guarantees.
    • By Stan

Argus the Unmaker drops interesting trinkets with secondary on-equip effects and Blizzard explained how they work in more detail.
      Path of the Titans Trinkets
      The final boss of the upcoming raid drops trinkets that have two on-equip effects. While the primary effect functions just like any other trinket, the secondary on-equip effect only activates under certain conditions.
      Aggramar's Conviction - Mark of Aggramar Aman'Thul's Vision - Mark of Aman'thul Eonar's Compassion - Mark of Eonar Golganneth's Vitality - Mark of Golganneth Khaz'goroth's Courage - Mark of Khaz'goroth Norgannon's Prowess - Mark of Norgannon Clarifications
      The secondary "When empowered by the Pantheon..." proc on the trinkets will only activate within Antorus the Burning Throne raid. Only four unique buffs are needed to trigger the secondary proc (down from 6). Aman'Thul's Vision ignores the rule as a "wild card" and the item does not count toward the Legion Legendary cap, so you can have 3 Legendary items equipped at the same time. Pantheon's Blessing is used to upgrade Pantheon trinkets up to item level 1,000. Blizzard (Source)
      Hey guys,

A slightly different discussion here, but just popping in with a note that the secondary Equip effect on the Antorus trinkets that note "When empowered by the Pantheon...", such as 'Aman'Thul's Grandeur' on Aman'Thul's Vision or 'Khaz'goroth's Shaping' on Khaz'goroth's Courage will only function within the Antorus raid once it is live.

Currently on the PTR this effect works outside of the raid, but its worthwhile to offer some clarification so there's no confusion once the raid itself is live.

If you have any questions on this, let me know!
      While it won't function in Mythic+ we did change the six requirement so you only need four unique buffs to trigger the Pantheon secondary proc inside Antorus. You can have any possible combination of the unique five to activate this additional proc. Aman'Thul's Vision ignores the rule as a "wildcard" filling any gap that you might be missing from the other five.

So for example you can have two Aman'Thul's and two of the other uniques and it will trigger the Pantheon proc.

Keep in mind we're still tweaking and making changes to the trinkets so please keep voicing your feedback about it :)
      Currently all of the trinkets on PTR behave like Aman'Thul's Vision does in the Pantheon proc but will be changed to be unique before it goes live, other than Aman'Thul's which will stay as a wild card. 

Still as always subject to change but that's the current plan.
      All trinkets have received updates in the latest Patch 7.3.2 PTR build:
      Aggramar's Conviction
      Mark of Aggramar - Taking damage has a chance to increase your Armor Versatility by 1,197 2,697 for 15 14 sec. When empowered by the Pantheon, your maximum health is increased by 652,038 459,366 for 15 sec, and you are healed to full health. Approximately 2.2 1.4 procs per minute. Aman'Thul's Vision
      Mark of Aman'thul - Your spells and abilities have a chance to grant you 741 1,089 Speed, Avoidance, and Leech for 12 sec. When empowered by the Pantheon, your Intellect is increased by 1.414 1,087 for 15 sec. Approximately 2.5 1.4 procs per minute. Eonar's Compassion
      Mark of Eonar - Your healing effects have a chance to grow an Emerald Blossom nearby, which heals a random injured ally for 23,392 36,100 every 2 sec. Lasts 14 12 sec. When empowered by the Pantheon, your next 4 direct healing spells grant the target a shield that prevents 65,204 71,132 damage for 30 sec. Approximately 2 1.2 procs per minute. Golganneth's Vitality
      Mark of Golganneth - Your damaging abilities have a chance to create a Ravaging Storm at your target's location, inflicting 63,728 148,698 Nature damage split among all enemies within 6 yds over 8 6 sec. When empowered by the Pantheon, your autoattacks cause an explosion of lightning dealing [ 870,400% 1,357,400% of Mainhand Weapon Speed ] Nature damage to all enemies within 8 yds of the target. Lasts 15 sec. Approximately 4 1.8 procs per minute. Khaz'goroth's Courage
      Mark of Khaz'goroth - Your damaging attacks have a chance to make your weapon glow hot with the fire of Khaz'goroth's forge, causing your autoattacks to do [ 929,400% 1,327,700% of Mainhand Weapon Speed ] additional Fire damage for 12 sec. When empowered by the Pantheon, your Critical Strike, Haste, Mastery, or Versatility is increased by 1.413 2,614 for 15 sec. Khaz'goroth always empowers your highest stat. Approximately 2 1.4 procs per minute. Norgannon's Prowess
      Mark of Norgannon - Your damaging spells have a chance to increase your Intellect by 1,303 3,257 for 12 sec. When empowered by the Pantheon, you gain 6 charges of Norgannon's Command for 15 sec. Your damaging spells expend a charge to inflict an additional 34,321 45,760 damage to the target, from a random school of magic. Approximately 3 1.4 procs per minute.
    • By Narii625

VISIT OUR WEBSITE!

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: Tomb of Sargeras [1/9M 9/9H], Nighthold [3/10M]
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/EPGP)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (915+)
      ALL DPS! ABOUT US
      We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. 
      We're always on Discord and we joke around a lot, some jokes aren't appropriate so keep that in mind. 
      Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required!)
      Fun Guild events happen monthly!

Battle.net ID: Narii#1891, Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Guild Recruitment Officer
      www.bootypirates.guildlaunch.com
    • By Nobbykinz
      Autumn Mist is a Mythic raiding guild/
      http://www.autumn-mist.net

We are looking for dedicated mythic raiders.
      We are a very active guild with events on most days:

Wed: TOS Mythic/Heroic
      Thurs: TOS Mythic
      Fri: Mythic + night/Chill  
      Sat: Chill
      Sun: TOS Mythic  
      Mon: Alt Runs  
      Tues: Transmog Tuesday

All starting at 8pm Server time other then the whole day events unless stated in the calender.
      Feel free to apply via the website, or add me on bnet if you want a chat, Nobbykinz#2994 all questions welcome.
    • By tanksta1
      [H] Salvation (est.2007) is a progression raiding guild on US-Cenarion Circle/Sisters of Elune.
      Objective
      Salvation is actively searching and recruiting players for current heroic content. What we look to do in the short-term is recruit players and gear them in our farm content. Mythic + will be run as well since it serves as another outlet to gearing up. By doing this we prepare them for our long-term goal, Mythic Mode Progression.
      Recruiting for Tomb of Sargeras
      Tanks- Blood DK x1 Melee- Rogue x1, Havoc Demon Hunter x1 Ranged- Mages x1, Hunter x2, Warlock x1, Balance Druid x1 Healers- Resto/Ele Shaman x1, Holy Paladin x1

***Exceptional applicants can feel free to sign up even if we aren't recruiting your class/spec. Outstanding applications will always be considered.
      We are also accepting players that engage in social aspects of the WoW community such as leveling, PvP, questing, dungeon finding, roleplaying and other challenging activites. We provide monthly guild events. For example, the Tournament of Tiny Champions. It’s a pet battle tournament where guildies compete with each other using 3-6 of their mightiest level 25 tiny champions. We are expanding this extremely fun side of Salvation so that everyone can join in on some action and prizes!
      Raiding Schedule
      Our schedule is as follows. We push content three times a week for 3 hours at a time starting at 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays. 
      Our Raiding Requirements
      You must be able to raid all three nights. Be on time for raid. Lateness will not be tolerated. Be able to play the optimal specialization for Legion raid encounters. (this requirement is more towards the pure dps classes and hybrid classes in some special cases) Come prepared with the knowledge of the Legion raid bosses and mechanics. Have Discord app installed and a working microphone to communicate. Discord browser and phone app is also acceptable. (Note: Some of these requirements will change as time goes on.)
      How to Join
      Please sign up on our guild website at:
      www.salvationcc.guildlaunch.com Want to reach me in game? On Discord? Questions or concerns? Hit me up at:
      Battletag: Zanngetsu#1255 Discord: Tankstâ2329