FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

[Tennis] French Open

The French Open started on Sunday. As always, I will be rooting for Roger Federer, who should be able to reach the final. Rafael Nadal and Novac Djokovic should meet in the semi-finals, if all goes well for them.

You can find today's program me here: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/schedule/index.html

There are two matches I will be watching today, Djokovic is entering the competition against David Goffin from Belgium, and Benoit Paire, the future star of French tennis, is playing Marco Baghdatis. There are a few other seeded players who will enter the competition today as well, such as Stanislas Wawrinka or Tommy Haas.

I'm not really into female tennis, but Victoria Azarenka, the 3rd seeded player, is playing her first match.

After Rafa's first round match/scare, I do believe it will be a Djokovic-Federer final, if Roger can get past Tsonga. I would be happy with either winning, but I think it will be Novak. Roger hasn't looked that great this year, and while he has the easier path to the final, I don't think he'll be able to finish off whoever he meets in the final.

On the women's side, it'll be Serena Williams, no doubt, she has been steamrolling everyone, including Sharapova and Azarenka. There are no threats to her in her half of the draw, the only one that could possibly hinder her is Kuznetsova and I think that would be a stretch.

The bottom half of the women's draw is where all the excitement is: Na Li, Sharapova, Azarenka, Stosur, Kvitova, Shvedova (a serious clay court threat), and Kanepi who is on a great comeback. Whoever comes out of this half will be so drained that they won't be much challenge for Serena in the final.

But as we know anything can and will happen at the grand slams! I wish this rain would stop so play can begin!

Djokovic's match against Goffin wasn't that good, I'm not certain he can beat Nadal. I guess we will see. And, I agree that Serena is the clear favorite, she's been so dominant in the past few months (especially in clay) and she has such an easy draw.

Tomorrow, Federer is playing his second match against an unknown Indian player, so there should be no surprise there :P

He is, but it's a bit sad to see him make so many faults in a single match. I hope he does better in Wimbledon.