Ilduros

From Vengeance(5 man content) to Havoc (raid content) transition

Sign in to follow this  

8 posts in this topic

Hello my fellow Demon Hunters,

I have a small problem/situation that I have to overcome / solve during the first weeks of Legion. I think that there are a couple of people who also have the same problem, so I hope that someone has an answer for me.

So here's my situation: Me and 4 other friends are going to run heroic + mythic dungeons in the first couple of weeks in Legion together. We are all in the same guild/raid. In this dungeon farming period I am going to tank (V-DH). My plan was to tank in raid content aswell, but unfortunately the raid lead is in no need of tanks and therefore their only offer was a DPS slot in the raid. This was a no brainer to me: Either I'll play solo as a tank in another raid, or I'll play DPS together with my friends in the raid. So now I am studying everything there is about H-DH aswell. One thing which bothers me, and where I haven't found a specific plan for, was how to balance my gear choices so we as a 5 man group can advance in heroics + mythics quickly with me as a tank, without being handicapped (or at least minimize my handicap) as a DPS when the raids start. Please keep in mind that the raid isn't a hardcore progression guild, but plans to do mythic raids early on.

So my question is: How should I farm my gear? Should I run 50% of the time with Havoc Loot turned on (even when I am tanking) and the other 50%? What am I going to do with my artifact weapon? Get both at 13 first, then focussing on my Havoc Artifact weapons? Or just focus on them, since an unskilled Vengeance Artifact weapon might be enough? My goal is to minimize my handicap, have enough gear for my Vengeance spec in order to run all mythic dungeons and at the same time being prepared for the raids as a havoc. Is this even possible?

Kind regards

Edited by Ilduros

It depends on how much work you want to put into this whole thing. If your plan is to play 2-3 hours a day between launch and raid, then you're not going to be very effective in either role and need to pick one and stick with it. If you plan on spending 6-9 hours a day average then making what you want to work is totally doable (I think it will take less time - something like 5-7 a day, but I'm not sure.)

Personally I'm doing basically the same thing as you, Vengance for groups with friends and then Havoc for raid. I'm going to be doing my Veng weapon first and spending only enough points to get my Charred Warblades trait. This only costs 14 traits and should give you enough AP (as long as you do ALL of your dailies/random heroic/order hall stuff/mythics each week) to ALSO get 20 traits in your havoc weapon before raid is released, 20 is exactly what you need for your first two gold traits.

Gearing I'm going to be loot-spec'd as Havoc for 99% of my heroics/mythics. The only time I'll be changing is when the boss has a tanking trinket. If you get gear that is more survivability based for Vengeance then use it, otherwise your normal havoc priority gear will do good enough for Veng.

Again though, double check loot for bosses before you kill it. If the boss doesn't have anything you need for Havoc but does have something solid for Veng, loot-spec for veng. This is, IMO, better then fishing for WF/sockets that you will most likely not get.

• Like 1

Very solid advice. 

Gear should be interchangeable between the two apart from trinkets and maybe one or two other items.  Suss out what raid bosses your planning to kill each week and have a note which drops which for yourself to allow for smooth switching of loot spec's. 

I am going to play 7-8 hours a day on average, so this should be doable. Regarding the trinket: Are you aiming to get the tanking trinket BEFORE the havoc trinket? And then when you have the tanking trinket, you just try to get the havoc trinket?

Ye, very solid advice, I really appreciate it. And I think that a couple of demon hunters will face this situation (and even other classes / speccs ofc).

If your raid slot is for dps, then get the dps trinket first.  (it wont be bad for tanking, just not optimal)

If boss X drops a tank trinket and doesn't drop a decent dps upgrade for you, loot spec for tanking and cross your fingers.

If boss  Y drops both trinkets, loot spec for dps and fingers crossed. 

Good luck with it

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this