FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
DanikaZombie

WoW keeps crashing my computer.

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting here, sorry if this isn't the place to ask this question any help were to post it would be greatly appreciated.

WoW keeps crashing my computer...I've tried unistalling and reinstalling it and I've tried the repair tool twice now and still nothing. My computer has never had a problem running WoW before. Now everytime I play after about 20-30 minutes it'll freeze and my computer will blue screen.

Sorry again if this isn't the place to post this, if you could direct me in the right direction I'll be on my way. But any info would be greatly appreciated.

There have been issues with wow and dc'ing since the new patch last week. I have crashes all the time, mainly coming out of bg's, or lfr. However, the blue screen of death could be a virus or a trojan. I found one using malwarebytes the other day that I didn't know was on my computer. It doesn't mean your virus scan is broken, just hackers come up with a new one every day.

My friend was having similar issues so he talked to a gm about it, he said there are stability issues with the 64 bit client so try using the other and see if that helps

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting here, sorry if this isn't the place to ask this question any help were to post it would be greatly appreciated.

WoW keeps crashing my computer...I've tried unistalling and reinstalling it and I've tried the repair tool twice now and still nothing. My computer has never had a problem running WoW before. Now everytime I play after about 20-30 minutes it'll freeze and my computer will blue screen.

Sorry again if this isn't the place to post this, if you could direct me in the right direction I'll be on my way. But any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Posted Image

wow is NOT causing your computer to crash, I can guarantee you that. WoW doesn't even need to be "installed" for it to work, you can drag the wow folder to a computer and simply run it.

What you probably have is driver, video card, hardware (Overclocking misconfigured memory) problem or configuration that the WoW client (or any game will exploit)

Reinstallig WoW will not make it better most likely.

What you need to do is:

Get cccleaner, run to completely clean registry and startup (that you don't need) from your windows start to make your computer as clean as possible, then reboot. Download cccleaner from the manufacturer piriform.com

update your video card driver bios firmware AFTER you clean your registry. That will kill any game, if your video card is out of date. don't run beta video drivers either (just a suggestion)

Reset your BIOS to DEFAULT, make note of the CURRENT settings before you do this to ensure you can change them back if default doesn't work.

I have been playing wow for over 8 years, countless beta versions, and PTR the *ONLY* times it crashes is when any or all of the above is ignored.

In my opinion everyone should get and install a good registry cleaner, defrag, and run malware bytes at LEAST once a week, maybe even once a day (like me) to ensure your computer is clean. And before you run any game you should reboot... to clean all that driver, vendor, and resident program information.

Also just to comment the 64-bit is MORE stable than 32-bit.. it's more efficient, that isn't the problem. The client either runs or it doesn't The problem is NOT the version or the client itself.. it's with Windows as I described.

You don't have to listen to me, I have only been a Systems Engineer Windows certified support for 15 years... so ignore me if you want to, but I just might know something....

Edited by rjparker1

To RJParker.

Thanks for the advice. I did all that you recommended...and for a couple of days it helped..but now the crashes have resumed. I downloaded cccleaner and cleaned my registry, then updated by BIOS with the help of a technician from the store I bought the computer from. I have a MSI motherboard and used their Live update 5 software to update the BIOS, which was simple enough. Once the BIOS was updated, however, to get Windows to boot up, I had to change some setting (as recommended by the technician):

1. Settings > Advanced >Integrated peripherals >SATA mode (change from IDE to AHCI)

2. Overclocking > extreme memory profile (XMP) (change from disabled to enabled) - this was to make my memory run at its native 1600 MHz instead of being restricted to 1333MHz.

3. Settings > Advanced >Hardware monitor> CPU Smartfan target (change from disabled to 55C) - this was to lower the fan speed and reduce noise

I bought a new video card only last month (GeForce GTX 660 Ti) and the drivers are updated. My rig is an Intel ® Core i7 - 2600 CPU @ 3.40 GHz. Memory is 16 Gb RAM, and I run Windows 7 professional 64-bit.

Since the crashes resumed, I've been running cccleaner before I start WOW but it doesn't seem to make a difference anymore. Needless to say I've tried all the earlier recommendations from different forums and from Blizzard (i.e., reinstall wow, remove cache, gtf, addon folders and such, change divx11 to 9, etc etc...all to no avail). I still believe the problem lies in the areas you mentioned in your mail but I've run out of ideas. I have a memory from one of the very first forum discussions on this issue about maybe the problem lies in overclocking, while others mention overheating. I'm wondering if the changes I made to my BIOS (overclocking and lowering the fan speed) might be the problem, even though these were the original settings on my computer and it ran wow without problems before Patch 5.2. Not being a computer expert myself, I was hoping you might have some extra advice for me. Cheers,

I'm sorry I'm so late on this topic. I tend to be helpful enough on this type of issues.

It is important to understand that, as rjparker1 said, WoW is very unlikely to cause your computer to crash. Now, running WoW might trigger a sort of chain reaction that eventually causes the computer to crash, but the root of the issue is elsewhere. Finding this root can be a long process, but let's start with the basic checks.

First of all, could you post a detailed list of your hardware with the exact models for each component? If you have an invoice that lists all that, you can just share it with us. There are a few things I want to check; namely that the PSU is powerful enough and that the RAM is certified for your motherboard.

Next, you are going to have to test the RAM, the CPU, and the graphic card.

For the RAM, you will need to run memtest: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso If you need more info to run the tool, feel free to ask, but there is plenty of documentation on the internet. Let it run for a few hours and if errors are detected, you can return the RAM.

For the CPU, I advise Prime95. You can get it from http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/ Simply run it on Windows. It will stress your CPU like never and will barely use anything else. Let it run overnight and if the computer is crashed when you wake up, then you'll have your culprit.

For the graphic card, I advise FurMark. You can get it from http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ Install it and let it run for like 30 minutes. If you start seeing weird things on the screen or if your computer crashes, then your graphic card may be having some issues.

Debugging the problem you are having may take time, but there is always a cause and it can always be found Posted Image

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I checked my invoice but unfortunately it doesn't provide any detailed information about the various components. I could probably call the computer store however and ask for these details.

I followed the link for memtest but wasn't sure which file to download.There were many different versions to choose from.

Instead I downloaded Prime95 to test the CPU and started running it. After only 15 min, the computer just suddenly restarted. I was internet browsing on Firefox at the time, since I didn't expect anything to happen so soon, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference to the test. Sudden restarts is not the most common crash I get when playing wow (that being total lockups with screen freezes and buzzing sounds) but it does happen. Not sure if I should run FurMark now since it seems my problem could be the CPU....and I fear solving this is going to be expensive :-(

A restart like this can indicate that your PSU (power supply unit) cannot handle your components. What model is it?

I've just received the information about the power supply - a Cosair CX500W. The store claims they have never had a problem with these PSU in my model computer, but that doesn't mean that the unit is not now faulty. They claim the problem is more likely with the processor or memory/motherboard, but don't offer any solution or way of confirming exactly which one. Think this means I will have to take the computer in for a complete service, which is frustrating since it only just passed its warranty period.

I have to say maybe wow isn't causing the computer crash but it is the trigger for my computer, same as above happens about every 20 to 30 mins while playing the beta, and only happens when playing the beta no other time.

I being a computer software engineer for 20 plus years decided to look into the logs to see what was happening, guess what the trigger is every time. Thats right an error caused by wow that causes the chain reaction.  So anyone who knows anything about Windows 7 software knows that when the C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll goes down so does your system.  So please tell me why the following error is not the cause of the computer crash.... since the computer crash immediately follows this with no other warnings or critical error previous to this on each crash.

Directly from my application log.

Faulting application name: WowB-64.exe, version: 6.0.1.18716, time stamp: 0x53e717ab
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000004e4e4
Faulting process id: 0xeb8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cfbb3a59e28459
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft Beta\WowB-64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: a55fb32b-272d-11e4-8cf5-74d435b79210

based on this I have a faulty C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll or there is something in the programming that calls to this incorrectly.  Knowing that this is only happening when running the beta I tend to believe there is something wrong with the program not the ntdll.dll file.

Also most anyone who has had to debug a program knows that Faulting process id: 0xeb8 is commonly caused by a bug in software not operating as expected.

any thoughts?

I have to say maybe wow isn't causing the computer crash but it is the trigger for my computer, same as above happens about every 20 to 30 mins while playing the beta, and only happens when playing the beta no other time.

I being a computer software engineer for 20 plus years decided to look into the logs to see what was happening, guess what the trigger is every time. Thats right an error caused by wow that causes the chain reaction.  So anyone who knows anything about Windows 7 software knows that when the C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll goes down so does your system.  So please tell me why the following error is not the cause of the computer crash.... since the computer crash immediately follows this with no other warnings or critical error previous to this on each crash.

Directly from my application log.

Faulting application name: WowB-64.exe, version: 6.0.1.18716, time stamp: 0x53e717ab

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000004e4e4

Faulting process id: 0xeb8

Faulting application start time: 0x01cfbb3a59e28459

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft Beta\WowB-64.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: a55fb32b-272d-11e4-8cf5-74d435b79210

based on this I have a faulty C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll or there is something in the programming that calls to this incorrectly.  Knowing that this is only happening when running the beta I tend to believe there is something wrong with the program not the ntdll.dll file.

Also most anyone who has had to debug a program knows that Faulting process id: 0xeb8 is commonly caused by a bug in software not operating as expected.

any thoughts?

I'd be willing to analyse a memory dump for you if you were to provide me with one smile.png

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/34940-generating-memory-dump-crashing-process.html

Unfortunately, NTDLL crashing means nothing. It's a core component of Windows, so it could be anything from integrated graphics (if your computer has switchable graphics, an AMD A2/4/6/8/10 processor, or a Core i3/5/7 2xxx+ processor), to memory issues (bad RAM, poorly reserved RAM), to harddrive issues (bad sectors, platter malignment).

My money is on the integrated graphics, because the beta isn't properly flagged for switchable graphics, and made my I7 4970k crazy until I manually flagged it.

If you can make a Pastebin with the info Damien is looking for, we may be able to analyse the crash further. Alternatively, you could try other software, such as WhoCrashed, to better get an idea of the drivers involved beyond NTDLL.

Do you have problems with any other games? I'm not sure if the login background is rendered or if it's a video loop, but the character selection screen is definitely rendered. It could be a video card problem, or it could be a corrupt model. If you aren't having problems with any other games then it's probably a problem with the WoW game files.

If you are having problems in other games then it's most likely your video card, although other hardware is a possibility also. I've had a bad power supply cause video problems when it couldn't supply enough power to the video card.

I'd start with repairing your game files, and then if that doesn't work I'd use the b.net launcher to see if you can get into the graphics settings for wow and turn everything down. If the game doesn't crash on lower settings you can turn everything back up until you figure out which setting is causing the game to crash.

My pc keeps crashing when i get to character selection/creation

http://pastebin.com/9D6Zm1k4

I made an account just to inform you people. I was having crashes only in WoW for past year. Lately they got more frequent. Over the time I practicaly tried everything to fix it. Nothing worked. I would list the things I did, but it would take almost for ever biggrin.png

Lately the graphic card would freeze almost always at character screen. If it got recovered then I could quickly click play to be able to play for like an hour before it crashed again.

Then I set in the launcher settings to run the 32 bit client of WoW. Now it doesn't crash anymore. But it is a bit slower though.

Now lately even the hearthstone started to crash. but weirdly enough only in start of arena match. Always. Unless I set it to lowest windowed resolution. Any higher than the lowest crash it after a few seconds. (random color on screen then restart).

No other test programs find any problems, PSU has stable 12.07V on the card during the restart. Reinstalled all possible bioses/drivers, programs, windows..... Nothing helps. Even clean install with only internet explorer, windows, drivers and hearthstone/WoW doesn't fix it. But if I change the graphic card to an old ATI one it works. I got GTX 570. And it never crashes elsewere for the last year and a half. Always in blizzard games.

Edited by MaDrung