FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lockish

Mythic dungeons

I hear that affliction is viable in mythic dungeons I'm just curious how.  I read the class guide but am unsure about the talents exactly and what kills on the boss.

• Like 1

Hello,

I`d be curious too tbh because trying some sort of aoe spec like you see in the guide for example is viable as long as enough mobs are pulled and being kept close to each other which not that many tanks can do.

Then comes the boss encounter where having the same aoe spec is gonna suck mostly or let`s say in at least 50% of the cases up to 75% of all boss encounters.

There is also the possibility of always carrying the tomes of tranuil mind with you which can help you respec in dungeons but then again if you are a pug ... how many will give you a minue to redo your shit ... FeelsBadMan

Unfortunatelly havent tried much Demo nor do I have the artifact for it ...

Curious about what other think / do at this point.

Cheers o/

If you get the first gold trait on the left on your scythe for Aff (Soul Flame), your AoE goes insane. If you can live without Siphon Life (the fourth dot, talent at level 60), pair that with the Sow the Seeds talent (SoC hits up to 4 targets when a shard is consumed) and you'll be surprised how much AoE you can do with Affliction.

As for other talents, if you're more concerned about bosses, take the middle talent at the level 15 tier (doubles Agony's stack limit) and Soul Effigy at level 100 (gives you an extra target to dot, adding 35% potential damage). When you get a decent size pull, hit one or two targets that will last with corruption and agony, then layer Seeds on everything (you can have multiple seeds on each target, it doesn't act like your other DoTs) and watch the fireworks. Soul Flame for Affliction is a HUGE boon to dungeoning because of how much damage it does. It causes a small nova of shadow damage when a target dies. This damage is ALWAYS enough to trigger any nearby Seeds, and if you have enough seeds stacked, it's a gigantic bomb and I've legitimately hit 500k DPS on some trash pulls between the seeds and this proc. And this is at heroic dungeon gear levels and lower, I've switched back to Demonology as my primary focus.

Edited by Smacktard

@Smacktard can you maybe help me out for getting an affliction AoE build, im not good with changing builds. It seems you know what your talking about and in the guide there is nothing specific about AoE build rotation?

@kakascii You literally just take Sow the Seeds. If you don't want to deal with Soul Effigy, Soul Conduit is always a viable option (not necessarily the best, but never bad). Or if you want to go full AoE, you go 32x2x32 for talents (numbered left to right on your tree. Here's my take on the build (keep in mind that this is a PURE AOE build - your single target damage will feel insignificant, you'll likely need to take tomes to spec out of this for bosses):

Level 15: Writhe in Agony is useless on stuff that dies as quickly as heroic dungeon trash, so take Drain Soul for the extra shard generation.

Level 30: Mana Tap is kinda crappy, Contagion only affects one target at a time and consumes shards that could be generating extra seeds. Take Absolute Corruption to save GCDs since Corruption, SoC, and Soul Flare will end up being the bulk of your damage.

Level 45: Irrelevant to damage output.

Level 60: Sow the Seeds.

Level 75: Irrelevant to damage.

Level 90: Grimoire of Sacrifice and Grimoire of Supremacy is a bit of a toss-up here. The Infernal's AoE is pretty strong if you're continuously doing area damage, but you lose the Felhound with either option, so I guess this is personal preference. 

Level 100: The choice here for pure AoE is between Soul Conduit and Phantom Singularity. SC was the go-to in the prepatch, but PS seems to have scaled well enough at level 110 to be viable in heavy AoE situations. Mostly depends on whether or not you want an extra button, but I think PS is the winner now.

As an aside, remember that your relics will start to become a pretty significant increase to your effectiveness, especially once you finish the Class Hall campaign and unlock the third slot. I'm still missing one shadow relic for my Ulthalesh, mostly because I've put most of my effort into my Demonology spec.

Edited by Smacktard
  • Like 1

Phantom singularity is really the only talent to make sense for strongest AoE. The problem though is that it is the new barrage. It's got a 50 yd diameter which means you are over pulling too often. I will say though while in a normal dungeon at like not even 110 I hit 4.3 mil dps because of sow the seeds, the artifact major explosive death trait and gosac. Absolutely insane dos when at 4+ mobs. Add some low health guys and its roflstomp city.