FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
demonardvark

Artifact Theory: Apocalypse

All unholy death knights!!! I come to you today not with a guide or any valuable information. I come instead with a theory I have developed. All it should do is add a little fun and a little bit more spice to the DK class. Again, this is a fun theory that changes nothing for the game. So, if you read on, its just for fun. Also be warned now, there are some spoilers below.

So, what is so special about the artifact weapon apocalypse? What did I noticed that no one else did? Well there is my theory, the weapon we are using, is actually, the sheathe for apocalypse. My evidence? Read on.

First. Look very carefully at the original Death Knight Blade associated with the class.

RUB-8424-C.jpg

You will notice a couple design choices. First, there are clearly six runes visible on both sides. We are to assume they are engraved all the way through. In addition, notice the skull where the hilt attaches and how there is that little gray triangle piece pointing to the runes. So, with that in mind, lets move on, to the current unholy artifact weapons.

ApocalypseModels.jpg

Now, the first thing you will be thinking is "man these look cool" and I agree. However, do note something that we discussed earlier, the runes. There are only 3 visible on the swords themselves. Then again, lets look at the swords. The default apocalypse model, doesn't have much blade. After the skull it looks almost like a casing, perhaps made of leather or metal. The only part that could actually cut is sort of the tip. It looks more decorative however, especially when you look at the awakened model (number 4). It almost looks like the blade itself could slide out and that the rest is the scabbard. 

An interesting theory so far, but rather weak. Especially the curved variants, it would be hard to sheathe them. My evidence is not over however. the very last model is the hidden form of apocalypse. As far as I know right now the community doesn't know how to unlock it. It's rather interesting however, it forms the base of my theory. You see the last form has a secret ability associated with it.

apocalypse one.jpg

Apocalyptic Deathblade. A deadly strike with the RUNEBLADE APOCALYPSE . Now that wording is interesting to me, as well as the effect. It basically can destroy a low health enemy. However, its a strike with the runeblade........ apocalypse. No where else, is the weapon called that, the word runeblade is absent. Even more interesting is the picture itself. Now its rather small but lets make it a bit more noticeable shall we?

apocalypse 2.jpg

Now, its hard to see. However, I count SIX RUNES visible on the blade. Notice the blade itself does not match ANY of the other apocalypse models in shape or color. Plus, its the only one to specifically have the runes we know we are using. We have 6 runes. Now, you can say on the apocalypse model there are 3 on each side, however, if that's the case, then originally we should have had access to 12 runes with the basic runeblade. Clearly we didn't. Even if we use the other name "apocalyptic deathblade". Where is this other named blade coming from? We aren't carrying any other swords so where is it coming from? Perhaps..... we are unsheathing it?

The entire time we are fighting we are fighting with the sheathe of apocalypse and channeling its abilities. Why don't we unsheathe it and use it at full power the entire time? The hidden effect says this, its too strong, it will kill everything around it, its the blade of apocalypse, the end of the world. So, its only in its ultimate hidden form, that we have enough mastery of it, to sometimes, unsheathe its full power. If you look at the image you can see the power radiating off of it. THAT is the true blade apocalypse, what we are customizing, is its container. Who is wielding it? Well you, the top deathknight, the dread lord, the savior of azeroth numerous times over. Who else would be trusted with such a weapon? Even then, where was it? Hidden from the world, not protected or revered, not lost and forgotten, but hidden. It was not meant to be found. It's too strong. 

If you are not yet convinced lets compare to our brother specs weapon, Frost.

488840.jpg

Guess what you can clearly see? SIX RUNES. How about Blood and the maw of the damned?

Maw-of-the-Damned-Blood-Death-Knight.png

This one is a little bit trickier since the first two models don't necessarily fully depict runes. However, the third and fifth blades clearly have multiple runes. Now, On the third I count more than six however, that doesn't matter. We clearly see the full set of usable runes.

For apocalypse in all its models we only see 3 save for the runeblade that we magically seem to unsheathe. The name of the weapon is changed for this ability and it has the proper amount of runes. From this, I submit, that when we are using apocalypse, it is simply the sheathe. The true sword apocalypse only comes out in its most powerful form, when we have the most mastery of it, and even then, rarely. We briefly draw the weapon to finish off an enemy and then reseal it. The blade, is hidden within those really cool hilts.

So, that is my little fun theory for all of you :D It changes nothing to the game, but adds a little spice to the unholy spec. It's based on candid observations and many holes can likely be found. However, I hope you had fun reading it, as I had fun researching and writing it (turns out there are curved sheaths out there so yay). In the mean time, thanks for reading, and I hope you are having fun with legion.

Again, this is just a fun little theory (probably better placed on reddit). So, bare that in mind before you comment, this was just for fun with the community :D

cheers

edit:

update, i've been asked about how are we cutting our enemies if its a sheathe? the answer is, we aren't, granted we may be bludgeoning them a bit. blizzard is fairly consistent with animations, and blood letting animations from a cut are typically red. Warriors red, ferals various bleeds, etc. All the animations for unholy show blue and green shadow damage there is no red. That's because our attacks are using the power within the blade not he blade itself. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fearless1333 said:

Good job on the theory, but the icon is actually recycled from the Wrath spell Runestrike, which was removed after cata launched. Sorry to kill your hopes and dreams.

You monster :(

Was a fun read anyway! Who knows, maybe Fearless is a Blizz employee trying to throw you off the truth!

Someone at Blizz will read this and go "Guys we missed an excellent opportunity here, quickly change some in game artwork"

:)

3 minutes ago, Shells said:

Someone at Blizz will read this and go "Guys we missed an excellent opportunity here, quickly change some in game artwork"

:)

I'll be watching those hotfixes like a hawk, just in case. Gonna log into my DK every day to check. :P

10 hours ago, fearless1333 said:

Good job on the theory, but the icon is actually recycled from the Wrath spell Runestrike, which was removed after cata launched. Sorry to kill your hopes and dreams.

I cried as I went to wowhead and found you were right XD.

I was even finding more things that were adding to my theory. When you use Death Gate to go to the new ebon hold you always get the same loading screen. It's a sword that looks a lot like apocalypse but with 6 runes and none of the metal gating stuff. It sort of resembles the old default dk weapons but the skull has the same narrow tip of apocalypse. Now, if you zoom in really close on the in game model of apocalypse you can see 3 engraved runes but they aren't lit up which struck me as very odd. So, while the tool tip does hurt my theory, the wording is still very curious to me. So, i'm going to hold on to hope that there is some fun lore stuff to come. Like when you do artifact research that little book fills up with stories about your weapon, i'm waiting to see where apocalypse was sealed :) My theory is hurt, but it still has some foot holds, however tenuous 

Edit: In fact if i look closely at this picture you can see it has the same little grey.... part extending down the hilt that apocalypse does. I can't help but feel maybe he's holding a prototypce apocalypse, or maybe that's its real form that is sealed with the hilt.

loadingscreen_deathknightorderhall_wide.