FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mmkay

Hunter Rotation

Hello,

I've read the Hunter guide, and it is very useful. However, I am a bit confused about Barrage and Windburst. When they run off CD, should I wait and pool enough focus to cast then and then continue with the aimed/marked shot spam?

Any answere is extremely appreciated.

If playing in an optimal way, you should not have to wait to cast things like Barrage when they come off CD. You should be minding your Focus management and not blindly spamming Aimed Shot. You'll do more DPS by not casting an Aimed Shot that would otherwise bring your Focus down too much to not be able to cast Barrage that is about to come off CD. 

Mmkay, kinda retarded of me to not think of Barrage > Aimed DPS wise.  I assume Barrage does more dmg even with 150 % dmg buff up?

Also, one last question. Since hunters dont have the Windburst trait yet, atleast if you follow Aze's guide, is that spell rendered useless in the rotation for now? Since it does less dmg than Aimed.

1 hour ago, mmkay said:

Mmkay, kinda retarded of me to not think of Barrage > Aimed DPS wise.  I assume Barrage does more dmg even with 150 % dmg buff up?

Also, one last question. Since hunters dont have the Windburst trait yet, atleast if you follow Aze's guide, is that spell rendered useless in the rotation for now? Since it does less dmg than Aimed.

The trait to make Windburst apply Vulnerability is unlocked fairly quickly if you follow the suggested artifact path, before you even hit 110 if you gather the treasures. 

It does more damage than Aimed / Marked without Vulnerability boost, so you can still use Windburst if target doesn't have Vulnerability.

Barrage does way more damage than Aimed / Marked. about twice as much depending on AP / Weapon ilvl. 

Great topic, thanks to all contributors.

My question is, how important is vulnerability and aimed shot?  From the guide, it seems MM is based around vuln windows.

So, say I open up with windburst...do I get as many aimed shots in as I can before going to barrage and hopefully having marking target proc by then?

Also, say I had a marking target proc up.  Then I sidewinder and marked shot comes up.  Do I use up all the vuln on aimed shot and just use marked shot at the last second to refresh the vuln debuff?

I might be overcomplicating things but if vuln uptime is paramount, do I delay the usage of marked shot procs to fit in more aimed shots?

@Liastraza

I think you open up with a precast of Windburst since it does more direct dmg than an aimed (without Vulnerability). So its just to min max dmg output.

@Iridar So in the current trait, no Legacy of the Windrunner, Windburst is just a Vulnerability filler? If sidewinders doesnt proc or is near 2 stacks.

Edited by mmkay

Thanks,

I guess my question is more like....if I have a vuln window, do I use it on aimed shot as a priority?  Or should i also use big hitting things first and let vuln window be wasted.

Ex: Have a like 3-4 seconds on vuln, barrage comes off cooldown...should I barrage first and forget the aimed shot?

"So, say I open up with windburst...do I get as many aimed shots in as I can before going to barrage and hopefully having marking target proc by then?"

Open with windburst like you do, but barrage then sidewinders immediately. Under Trueshot, every SW applies mark and vulnerable, so you don't have to worry if marking targets is up at all during that time and delaying it means sitting on 2 charges which means lost marked shot casts.

And yea you want Barrage in place of an aimed if it's up. Trying to game it to where you only use it when vulnerable is down would just be impractical.

4 hours ago, mmkay said:

So in the current trait, no Legacy of the Windrunner, Windburst is just a Vulnerability filler? If sidewinders doesnt proc or is near 2 stacks.

Pretty much. Windburst is less useful with Sidewinders, since they always apply Vulnerable. 

If you play with Piercing Shot or Trickshot, you can only apply Vulnerable with Marked Shot, which isn't guaranteed to be available, so your rotation and ability to dump focus efficiently depends solely on Marking Targets' RNG. 

Windburst helps to smoothen out rotation, and apply Vulnerable before you cast Marked Shot or Aimed Shot.

I haven't played with Sidewinders, but I imagine Windburst is cast a bit more rarely, and more like a filler while Vulnerable is not present and you're not casting Sidewinders just yet.