FORUMS
Trackasaur

Going BM for Everything

Hi all,

Go easy on me, new here.

I've just been reading up on a few things mainly Azor's guide on Hunters. I want to play BM because I enjoy the spec more than MM, but Azor is saying that MM is the way to go in terms of Raiding, specifically The Emerald Nightmare.

I'm hoping someone would be able to provide me with some insight on how much of a disadvantage I would be at playing BM instead of MM in The Emerald Nightmare, and highlight some scenarios where the two would excel ahead of eachother in the raid.

I want to make sure I'm making a good choice from an enjoyment point of view, but still being viable for my raid group.

For example, If someone says "I consider the gap to be too far apart between MM and BM for raiding" I would consider playing something else that I enjoy. I took a look at the simulations, and although they are hard to trust at this point, BM is slightly ahead of MM in a Patchwerk base scenario, I can only assume this is due to BM's AOE capability during waves of adds.

Any info appreciated, I'm a seasoned player so don't be afraid to provide extreme detail if you feel the desire.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Trackasaur said:

Hi all,

Go easy on me, new here.

We're always friendly! Welcome to the site :)

3 hours ago, Trackasaur said:

I've just been reading up on a few things mainly Azor's guide on Hunters. I want to play BM because I enjoy the spec more than MM, but Azor is saying that MM is the way to go in terms of Raiding, specifically The Emerald Nightmare.

I'm hoping someone would be able to provide me with some insight on how much of a disadvantage I would be at playing BM instead of MM in The Emerald Nightmare, and highlight some scenarios where the two would excel ahead of eachother in the raid.

I want to make sure I'm making a good choice from an enjoyment point of view, but still being viable for my raid group.

For example, If someone says "I consider the gap to be too far apart between MM and BM for raiding" I would consider playing something else that I enjoy. I took a look at the simulations, and although they are hard to trust at this point, BM is slightly ahead of MM in a Patchwerk base scenario, I can only assume this is due to BM's AOE capability during waves of adds.

Any info appreciated, I'm a seasoned player so don't be afraid to provide extreme detail if you feel the desire.

Cheers

The general consensus seems to agree that BM will definitely be viable in certain situations, for example pulling ahead in M+ dungeons. As you said, the point at which BM excels is those strong AoE portions. It's the chosen spec for M+ because you spend the majority of your time clearing trash. 

I haven't raided as a Hunter in EN and so wouldn't know where one pulls ahead of the other, but it's certain that having BM as a spec is going to be incredibly useful anyway.

Hopefully someone can give you more insight into this since I'm not the most well versed, but at least know that for M+, play BM to your heart's desire.

I don't think many people know what the raids will look like, especially not first hand.

From what I've seen until now, the specs are close enough to each other that you can just play whatever you like at this point. In any case you are not likely to be a burden in your raid, and it's much more important to play something that gives you satisfaction.

In addition, BM is a simpler and more mobile spec, which gives you freedom of mind to focus on mechanics instead of pushing right buttons. 

Last couple of expansions blizzard has been getting better and better at making all specs viable in all situations. And DPS requirements of encounters were never high enough that pure DPS was more important than mechanics. 

I say play what you like and focus on being a better raider than a better DPS bot.

Edited by Iridar

5 hours ago, Iridar said:

In addition, BM is a simpler and more mobile spec, which gives you freedom of mind to focus on mechanics instead of pushing right buttons. 

This is actually overlooked more than people realise and is a good point to raise. If you have to spend the entire fight desperately trying to think ahead and ensure your DPS is the best it can possibly be due to unfamiliarity, you might find yourself standing in a mechanic slightly too long or not swapping onto an add fast enough.

A dead DPS does 0 DPS. Play what you're comfortable playing.

21 hours ago, Iridar said:

I don't think many people know what the raids will look like, especially not first hand.

From what I've seen until now, the specs are close enough to each other that you can just play whatever you like at this point. In any case you are not likely to be a burden in your raid, and it's much more important to play something that gives you satisfaction.

Last couple of expansions blizzard has been getting better and better at making all specs viable in all situations. And DPS requirements of encounters were never high enough that pure DPS was more important than mechanics. 

I say play what you like and focus on being a better raider than a better DPS bot.

Of course we know what the raids will look like, every encounter has been extensively beta tested on Mythic except for Xavius, which has been extensively beta tested on all other difficulties.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Azortharion said:

Of course we know what the raids will look like, every encounter has been extensively beta tested on Mythic except for Xavius, which has been extensively beta tested on all other difficulties.

I said "many people", meaning "majority" by it. Majority of raiders do not participate in beta tests, let alone extensive ones. 

You know how raids will look like - great, maybe you can help the OP then.

Edited by Iridar
  • Like 1