FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
HydroPyro

Holy Priest Haste Question

Hey all, returning WoW player from WotLK days. I've been reading around and all the sources just tell me stat priority. Nothing regarding on how much I should have into that certain stat. If i missed something somewhere on this site could I please be directed to that post/page? If not is there a a certain % on haste I should be aiming for as Holy Priest heals for PvE? 

22 hours ago, HydroPyro said:

Hey all, returning WoW player from WotLK days. I've been reading around and all the sources just tell me stat priority. Nothing regarding on how much I should have into that certain stat. If i missed something somewhere on this site could I please be directed to that post/page? If not is there a a certain % on haste I should be aiming for as Holy Priest heals for PvE? 

Currently, if our stat pages do not explicitly state a % to aim for, you just get as much as possible. So for you as a Holy Priest, you want to be grabbing as much Mastery as possible.

1 hour ago, Blainie said:

Currently, if our stat pages do not explicitly state a % to aim for, you just get as much as possible. So for you as a Holy Priest, you want to be grabbing as much Mastery as possible.

I figured that with the Mastery, but my question and the post is about Haste. It's 3rd in my stat priority (not including INT) and figure I don't want zero Haste. Maybe if i take a look around at Priest BiS gears it can give me a rough idea of how much Haste a Holy Priest should be looking for? Thanks for taking the time to answer my post regardless.

Edited by HydroPyro
typo <3

3 hours ago, HydroPyro said:

I figured that with the Mastery, but my question and the post is about Haste. It's 3rd in my stat priority (not including INT) and figure I don't want zero Haste. Maybe if i take a look around at Priest BiS gears it can give me a rough idea of how much Haste a Holy Priest should be looking for? Thanks for taking the time to answer my post regardless.

Perhaps, since I'm not a Priest player, I might be wrong in this, but I see nothing wrong with 0 haste. You won't have that anyway, since the BiS pieces currently will have haste on them to ensure that you have Mastery on the piece. 

You simply get as much Mastery as possible and you'll get a bit of Haste on the way. There's no reason to prioritise any kind of % amount for it.

Like Blainie said i believe that haste is something that you might find on gear pieces with mastery. its not something you should be looking for. I'm playing holy as my offspec, eventhough my itemlevel as holy is higher than my shadow gear (rip)  i go straight for mastery/Crit if i see that. there is really no need for haste imo. especially not a surtain % of haste. ive healed all the different mythics including court of stars and Arcway without any issues, obviously we wont know until raids if this is the way to go but i dont see it being much different there.

I would like to know the answer to your question as well, but i've been thinking about haste outside of numbers craft. If you think of haste outside of this numbers bubble it has an interesting use, mobility. Particularly Renew, Renew is important because it's the only heal you can cast while moving that's not locked behind a cooldown. Haste increases your renew spells effectiveness, where mastery is pretty weak when it comes to renew because mastery doesn't scale off renews HoT effect just the base heal, which is very weak. So if you want to maximize renew as a spell then you'll want haste instead of mastery, not only to increase the HoT effect, but also the GCD. 

Which leads me to the point that you already mentioned, serendipity. Increasing haste will lower the cooldown on your serenity and sanctify spells, which are also spells you can cast while moving. So haste offers priests a way to itemize for more mobility.

With that said the BIS list in the holy guide on this site has 11.5% haste. 20% is an interesting number, because it brings the 2.5second heal down to 2 seconds, which feels right imo. 20% also reaches GCD cap when bloodlust is active. I'll be experimenting with haste to see if it has a more practical use.

The other obvious benefits are all the small things that come with shorter cast times.

My main is a Priest (Shadow/Holy spec) and for Holy is relevant to use the stat is much harder to anybody kills you, because you're not DPS, you need to be save for others.  The Versatility/Mastery stats helps very well for that.  For me as a Holy Priest, the Mastery/Versatility and Haste is the most importants stats to survey and fast as much as possible heals all raid party members.  Depends too on how you use your rotation.  If you have 0% haste, your spellcasting is really slow.  I used haste/mastery/critical strike/vesatility gear, inclusive, multistrikes enchants, as primary stats after Intellect (main stat) to test all possibilities with my custom spell rotation.  Nothing of Icy Veins, nothing of Noxxic, only mine.  Versatility/Mastery>Haste works better for me as Holy Priest.

It looks like this is coming down to preference. Some prefer having the faster heals, some prefer mobility. If you want either of these, I guess a bit of Haste won't hurt.

In my opinion, from what I have seen in dungeons so far, mobility really isn't an issue.