FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Euko

Top ST DPS spec due to legendaries?

So I'm trying to decide between demonology and destruction for my main raiding spec. I am not 100% which pulls better numbers yet as I am able to do pretty similar numbers with both on ST. The thing I think will make the largest difference is how well they will scale off of their legendaries. For destruction Feretory of SoulsFeretory of Souls and player's choice on the second legendary (my choice would likely be Norgannon's ForesightNorgannon's Foresight for ST or Odr, Shawl of the YmirjarOdr, Shawl of the Ymirjar for cleave).  With demonology I personally believe that Sin'dorei SpiteSin'dorei Spite and Wilfred's Sigil of Superior SummoningWilfred's Sigil of Superior Summoning are the obvious choice. When you look at this it seems to suggest that demonology scales much higher with legendaries than destruction, and that is making me lean towards that spec a lot more, especially when I have heard/read a few times from multiple sources that demonology is top before the legendaries.

As a side note... whatever the case may be, I would also really like to use the one I don't choose as a full aoe spec for clearing trash quicker in mythic+. I would like to do it this way since it would be much quicker to just switch my spec rather than use a tome and change talents around often. Perhaps eventually I would be able to get it down to a quick science though. However if the top ST spec can do it well even when spec'd for ST, then that might be okay. Demonology with Hand of DoomHand of Doom seems to hold it's own somewhat (300-400k dps or so? It's no 600k-1.5m that other classes can do!) on trash that lasts 15-30s long, and that is primarily what I have been using seeing as my other weapons aren't that strong yet.

I think choosing your spec based on a legendary is a VERY bad idea, honestly. You might never see one of those legendaries you have listed, instead just getting the crappy neutral ones or the worse ones for each spec.

As for actually choosing, hopefully someone else can help since I'm not a Lock player!

• Like 1

I feel we will get the legendaries in a quick enough manner (within months if you stick to 1 spec) Most beta players report that there is some kind of fail safe mechanic and that you get 1 every 2 weeks and players are starting to see their first one in game now, about 2.5 weeks in. It of course could take much longer to get them, and especially longer to get the 2 you need. Either way, since I am pulling similar numbers with each spec, I am hoping by getting the legendaries eventually, demonology will be the clear winner.. 

What I came to the forum with this topic for was some cross conversation. You bring up a good point but since we'll probably be able to get at least half the legendaries (if you stick to 1 spec) by the time the tier is over I want to at least hope it will be possible to get the ones we need. I choose to be optimistic about that part at least haha. I must ask, does anyone perform better as one of the other specs? Do they think they will with the 7.1 changes? Do you think the lengedaries of one of the other specs can allow that build to outshine the others?

Edited by Euko

Demo is better on ST, but there aren't many ST fights and Destro probably has a stronger all around kit for raiding.

The Demo bracers are probably the best legendary, especially since they work for all specs.

And yes, it is crazy to base which spec you choose based on the assumption you will be getting a good legendary.  the assumption that you will get multiple legendaries just during the first tier is insane, especially after Blizzard just fixed the bug causing people to have too high a chance at getting a 2nd legendary after the first one.

Theyv haven't started number tuning in 7.1 so we can't make any decisions based on that.

Edited by Stunlocked

That is a great point. I never thought about how some of the legendaries can be shared across to other specs! Thanks for pointing that out. :) From what I've heard in the past, blizz does not plan to allow the legendaries to be upgradable, and will either cycle in new legendaries, or repeat the current ones in higher ilvl; these current ones are meant for this tier alone. Because of this, I have chosen to believe they will be obtainable, especially due to what people were experiencing in beta. I believe a lot of people will revolt against that and I personally have never seen an official quote, so take it with a grain of salt. I made those statements before reading about the fix to drop rates, though, so sadly I will have to withdraw most of what I have thought so far. Thanks for the info either way, all!

Edit- I just heard from the same guy that they even recently changed their minds and made it so legendaries are upgradable in the future. That furthers the thought that the drop rate will stay fairly low, but at least we know we will eventually get them and that when we do they can still be relevant.

Edited by Euko
Heard new information

It's also worth saying that Blizzard essentially balanced raids around SOME people having 1 legendary for the first tier and the next tier is balanced around people having 1 legendary, with some people having the right one.

RNG is RNG unfortunately, you still may get stuck with terrible ones.