FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Blizzard's Going Away Gift for Chris Metzen

i2M98jD.jpg

After his announced retirement this week, Blizzard held a ceremony commemorating Chris Metzen's last day at the company yesterday. At this event they also presented him with a mockup for a statue they'd be making in his honor (presumably a big one for the Blizzard campus and a smaller, trophy sized one for him).

The statue, surprisingly, isn't Warcraft themed, but shows him with baby Winston from Overwatch, as that was the final game he worked on and whose universe he almost single-handedly shaped. Also he's wearing an Alliance shirt! Blasphemy!

954.jpg

Obviously it's inspired by the one of Walt Disney holding Mickey's hand at DIsneyland, but the coolest about it are all of the game logos he's helped create at the base of it.

4697933152_f4430ec5b7_b.jpg

For a really great tribute and in-depth explanation of what exactly he meant for Blizzard and all of us playing his games, check out Blizzard Watches "Know Your Lore" entry on the man.

And here is one last picture from the event, with Metzen and CEO Mike Morhaime admiring the image:

956.jpg

• Like 3

The letter Chris wrote hit me right in the feels... "Taking the last gryphon out of Stormwind"

I hope to some day shake that mans hand!

FOR THE ALLIANCE!

4 hours ago, Valhalen said:

As a mod you should be neutral regarding WoW factions. =P

See that's JUST what an Alliance player would say :D

But I was referring more to the fact that's he's god damn Thrall!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starym said:

See that's JUST what an Alliance player would say :D

But I was referring more to the fact that's he's god damn Thrall!

I'm not necessarily sure the horde should be proud of that XD. I mean through wotlk maybe but ya know that whole garrosh thing was basically thralls fault. Even then once the legion attacks he basically said "nah man, im going home".

1 hour ago, demonardvark said:

I'm not necessarily sure the horde should be proud of that XD. I mean through wotlk maybe but ya know that whole garrosh thing was basically thralls fault. Even then once the legion attacks he basically said "nah man, im going home".

Hey, hey, hey ,hey. That whole Garrosh thing was shitty writers fault :D Don't think I've ever hater a videogame char more, and not in the way Blizz wanted either.

1 hour ago, Starym said:

Hey, hey, hey ,hey. That whole Garrosh thing was shitty writers fault :D Don't think I've ever hater a videogame char more, and not in the way Blizz wanted either.

hahaha, i think a lot of things (COUGH WOD COUGH) were due to questionable writing choices XD. Albeit Garroshes character as a whole was one of my favorites. There is a well done youtube video entitled "garrosh did nothing wrong" that explains it. He as honestly a rather complex character. Of course everyone will have their favorite and least favorites :D

granted i think everyone loves millhouse manastorm (why is he not a hearthstone mage hero yet?)

I know he will never see this but I feel that A thank you is not enough.  WoW has and will always be a big part of my life even when the last light on the last server goes out.  The world of Azaroth is viberant and living.  Its lore makes it feel like a real place that I have the priviledge to be apart of.  I have enjoyed every moment of every expansion with gusto.  And what keeps me coming back?  the story.  The characters.  the great plot.  I cannot say enough about it.  The same goes for Diablo, starcraft and especially Overwatch.  What a game to go out on!  Metzen, I have no words to describe how much I am in awe of your writing over the years.  Your presence will sorely be missed not just at Blizzard but in the community as a whole.  Thank you for every drop of insperation you have given to each of these great games.

2 hours ago, demonardvark said:

hahaha, i think a lot of things (COUGH WOD COUGH) were due to questionable writing choices XD. Albeit Garroshes character as a whole was one of my favorites. There is a well done youtube video entitled "garrosh did nothing wrong" that explains it. He as honestly a rather complex character. Of course everyone will have their favorite and least favorites :D

granted i think everyone loves millhouse manastorm (why is he not a hearthstone mage hero yet?)

Even in that video though, at the very end he says "You can make anyone look good by just telling certain bits." That was him basically saying, sure, he had good intent on certain things, but all in all, he was completely bad.

19 hours ago, Valhalen said:

As a mod you should be neutral regarding WoW factions. =P

What if I like both but I like Alliance more :(

• Like 1

not many people remember that he plays alliance (though im guessing like most long time players he has toons on both sides) i think the statue is a lovely idea and im sure he will cry when the real thing is showen off, also isn't he the first real person to get made into a statue at blizz?

1 hour ago, permeus said:

not many people remember that he plays alliance (though im guessing like most long time players he has toons on both sides) i think the statue is a lovely idea and im sure he will cry when the real thing is showen off, also isn't he the first real person to get made into a statue at blizz?

I believe he is, yeah. Rightly so in my opinion.

On 18 de setembro de 2016 at 7:18 AM, Blainie said:

What if I like both but I like Alliance more :(

So do I! Actually the only thing I like about Horde is Thrall and the Taurens (I'd roll one if we could play as Highmountain Tauren).

Chris,

Thanks, for all the hard work you've, put into the company and game or games. You, will be missed by many people at the company and in game. That's a great statue of you and winston. I don't have him. But, he's cute. I'll get him one day. Enjoy time with the family. 

Thank you

On 9/20/2016 at 0:14 PM, Valhalen said:

So do I! Actually the only thing I like about Horde is Thrall and the Taurens (I'd roll one if we could play as Highmountain Tauren).

I'm with you on the Tauren front. Would totally play a Highmountain, any day of the week!

I had a chance to meet and briefly speak with Chris at Blizzcon a couple years ago. he's a really cool, down to earth guy. He really epitomizes the oldschool developer mentality of loving games, and creating the sort of games you'd want to play. 

26 minutes ago, Storm said:

I had a chance to meet and briefly speak with Chris at Blizzcon a couple years ago. he's a really cool, down to earth guy. He really epitomizes the oldschool developer mentality of loving games, and creating the sort of games you'd want to play. 

He always just seemed like he genuinely loved what he was doing and creating. So sad to see him go.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Ny'alotha, the Waking City is the raid where we deal with N'Zoth and his forces and the armor is obviously heavily-inspired by the Old Gods. Today, we're looking at Cloth sets from the new raid.
      Cloth Sets from Ny'alotha, the Waking City
      Raid Finder

Normal Difficulty

Heroic Difficulty

Mythic Difficulty

Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes New Forsaken Leadership in Patch 8.3 (Spoilers) Azshara's Bargain and the Key to Defeating N'Zoth (Spoilers) I'lgynoth's Whispers in Patch 8.3 (Analysis) Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpent Mount in Patch 8.3 Aqir Flying Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 17th & 18th  
    • By Stan
      Il'gynoth returns as a boss in Ny'alotha, the Patch 8.3 raid, and with it comes another round of whispers full of prophecies. What do they entail? This article contains spoilers.
      We fought Il'gynoth back in the Emeral Nightmare and if you played in Legion, chances are you know that his prophecies have manifested themselves later on in Battle for Azeroth. He gave us hints on how Magni would become a pawn, which happened in Rise of Azshara, and much more. Now, he's back in Ny'alotha and his Voice Overs are full of riddles.
      Il'gynoth VO
      We've analyzed all whispers below.
      This refers to Mueh'zala who is also referred to as the Father of Sleep based on WoWWiki. Mueh'zala is the loa of death worshipped by the Sandury Tribe, and likely, Bwonsamdi's boss, whose identity has not been unveiled yet.
      The "Golden One" is Calia Menethil. Although the game did not contain information on how Sylvanas killed her and Calia got raised, 8.3 sound files hint at Calia becoming the new leader of the Forsaken and her plans to reclaim Lordaeron.
      Il'gynoth claims Calia will bring only darkness. This may refer to the events of Patch 9.0 and beyond. Remember, that we faced Il'gynoth as a boss at the beginning of Legion and his prophecies came true just recently in Patch 8.2 Rise of Azshara.
      The Val'kyr have some sort of pact with Sylvanas and it appears they are eager to fulfill her every wish. What that entails remains to be seen.
      "The Vessel of Life" probably refers to the Green Dragonflight. It foreshadows a traitor amidst their ranks. Merithra, the Daughter of Ysera, has seen some screen time in Battle for Azeroth and what the future brings is uncertain as for now.
      The Dragon Aspects have lost their powers after defeating Deathwing and in Battle for Azeroth, they're back helping us against N'Zoth. 
      Patch 8.3 Voice Overs suggest that Sylvanas, who's now wielding Xal'atath, wants to use it against N'Zoth to defeat him. Her deal with Queen Azshara was to bring the champions of the Alliance and the Horde to Nazjatar, and in Visions of N'Zoth, Azshara provides us with valuable information on how to defeat the God of the Deep.
      In World of Warcraft there are six planes (realms of existence). We are the "cunning ones" and it seems we only serve one master, which is death.

The cosmic forces, realms and denizens of the universe (Taken from WoWWiki)
      Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes New Forsaken Leadership in Patch 8.3 (Spoilers) Azshara's Bargain and the Key to Defeating N'Zoth (Spoilers) Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpent Mount in Patch 8.3 Aqir Flying Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 17th & 18th Here's an analysis of Il'gynoth's whispers who returns as a boss in Patch 8.3.
    • By Stan
      Next, we're checking out the sound files for Queen Azshara and Sylvanas. They both had a bargain and in Patch 8.3, Azshara has the key to defeating N'Zoth. Spoiler alert!
      Earlier today, we looked at sound files of multiple characters, containing spoilers on the future of the Forsaken and their leadership.
      The sound files for Queen Azshara hint at the bargain she had with Sylvanas. Azshara would make both fleets crash to the ocean floor (Nazjatar) in exchange for Xal'atath. We know how that ended when Sylvanas claimed the blade for herself...
      In Patch 8.3, Queen Azshara is tortured by Xanesh in Ny'alotha, the Waking City raid. We defeat the boss, and ultimately, she sides with us and reveals the key to defeating N'Zoth. We learn  that he is the weakest of his kin and the blade can be used to defeat him once and for all, which is how the raid is going to end.
      Queen Azshara
      Sylvanas
      Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes New Forsaken Leadership in Patch 8.3 (Spoilers) Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpent Mount in Patch 8.3 Aqir Flying Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 17th & 18th
    • By Stan
      Our preview of mounts added in World of Warcraft's forthcoming content update continues with the Aqir flying mount.
      Who are the Aqir?
      Aqir Flying Mount
      The source of the mount remains unknown for now. Do you think it will be drop from N'Zoth on Mythic Difficulty?

Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpent Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 17th & 18th
    • By Stan
      After the events of Patch 8.2.5, the Forsaken are looking for a new leader in Visions of N'Zoth. This article contains spoilers.
      In order to learn more about the future of the Forsaken, we've uploaded new VOs to our YouTube channel. Key characters include Jaina Proudmoore, Calia Menethil, Lilian Voss, and Derek Proudmoore.
      Apparently, there will be a meeting in Patch 8.3 between Jaina, Derek, Calia, and Voss. Calia tells Jaina that she decided to leave Kul Tiras for Lordaeron, because Voss asked her for help now that the Forsaken have no leader. Derek wants to join Calia as both have been raised from the dead and have something in common.
      Calia Menethil
      Derek Proudmoore
      Jaina Proudmoore
      Lilian Voss
      Il'gynoth Foreshadowing
      We've analyzed Il'gynoth's new whispers and one seems to have been tailored specifically for Calia Menethil.
      An article with a full analysis will be posted later today. In the meantime, you can check out Il'gynoth's VO below.
      Other Patch 8.3 Content:
      Visions of N'Zoth Class Changes Visions of N'Zoth Development Notes Allied Races & Pandaren Death Knight Textures Added on 8.3 PTR Official Mechagnomes & Vulpera Preview Vulpera Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnomes Heritage Armor Preview Mechagnome & Vulpera Dance Animations Corrupted Rings with Kiss/Curse Effects from Ny'alotha New Essences in Patch 8.3 Ny'alotha Plate Sets Preview Wrathion's Legendary Cloak Preview Alpaca Mounts in Patch 8.3 N'Zoth Serpent Mount in Patch 8.3 Aqir Flying Mount in Patch 8.3 Assaults in Patch 8.3 Vulpera Tidbits: Racial Mount, Shaman Totems, Hunter Pet N'Zoth's Model in Patch 8.3 Mechagnomes & Vulpera Unlock Requirements Ny'alotha Raid Boss Names & Descriptions Goblin & Worgen Heritage Armor Sets Preview Visions of N'Zoth Content Update Preview Ny'alotha Raid Testing: October 17th & 18th