Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Starym

wow Blizzard's Going Away Gift for Chris Metzen

21 posts in this topic

i2M98jD.jpg

After his announced retirement this week, Blizzard held a ceremony commemorating Chris Metzen's last day at the company yesterday. At this event they also presented him with a mockup for a statue they'd be making in his honor (presumably a big one for the Blizzard campus and a smaller, trophy sized one for him).

The statue, surprisingly, isn't Warcraft themed, but shows him with baby Winston from Overwatch, as that was the final game he worked on and whose universe he almost single-handedly shaped. Also he's wearing an Alliance shirt! Blasphemy!

954.jpg

Obviously it's inspired by the one of Walt Disney holding Mickey's hand at DIsneyland, but the coolest about it are all of the game logos he's helped create at the base of it.

4697933152_f4430ec5b7_b.jpg

For a really great tribute and in-depth explanation of what exactly he meant for Blizzard and all of us playing his games, check out Blizzard Watches "Know Your Lore" entry on the man.

And here is one last picture from the event, with Metzen and CEO Mike Morhaime admiring the image:

956.jpg

3 people like this

As a mod you should be neutral regarding WoW factions. =P

By the way, "For The Alliance!"

The letter Chris wrote hit me right in the feels... "Taking the last gryphon out of Stormwind"

I hope to some day shake that mans hand!

FOR THE ALLIANCE!

4 hours ago, Valhalen said:

See that's JUST what an Alliance player would say :D

But I was referring more to the fact that's he's god damn Thrall!

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Starym said:

See that's JUST what an Alliance player would say :D

But I was referring more to the fact that's he's god damn Thrall!

I'm not necessarily sure the horde should be proud of that XD. I mean through wotlk maybe but ya know that whole garrosh thing was basically thralls fault. Even then once the legion attacks he basically said "nah man, im going home".

1 hour ago, demonardvark said:

I'm not necessarily sure the horde should be proud of that XD. I mean through wotlk maybe but ya know that whole garrosh thing was basically thralls fault. Even then once the legion attacks he basically said "nah man, im going home".

Hey, hey, hey ,hey. That whole Garrosh thing was shitty writers fault :D Don't think I've ever hater a videogame char more, and not in the way Blizz wanted either.

1 hour ago, Starym said:

Hey, hey, hey ,hey. That whole Garrosh thing was shitty writers fault :D Don't think I've ever hater a videogame char more, and not in the way Blizz wanted either.

hahaha, i think a lot of things (COUGH WOD COUGH) were due to questionable writing choices XD. Albeit Garroshes character as a whole was one of my favorites. There is a well done youtube video entitled "garrosh did nothing wrong" that explains it. He as honestly a rather complex character. Of course everyone will have their favorite and least favorites :D

granted i think everyone loves millhouse manastorm (why is he not a hearthstone mage hero yet?)

I know he will never see this but I feel that A thank you is not enough.  WoW has and will always be a big part of my life even when the last light on the last server goes out.  The world of Azaroth is viberant and living.  Its lore makes it feel like a real place that I have the priviledge to be apart of.  I have enjoyed every moment of every expansion with gusto.  And what keeps me coming back?  the story.  The characters.  the great plot.  I cannot say enough about it.  The same goes for Diablo, starcraft and especially Overwatch.  What a game to go out on!  Metzen, I have no words to describe how much I am in awe of your writing over the years.  Your presence will sorely be missed not just at Blizzard but in the community as a whole.  Thank you for every drop of insperation you have given to each of these great games.

2 hours ago, demonardvark said:

hahaha, i think a lot of things (COUGH WOD COUGH) were due to questionable writing choices XD. Albeit Garroshes character as a whole was one of my favorites. There is a well done youtube video entitled "garrosh did nothing wrong" that explains it. He as honestly a rather complex character. Of course everyone will have their favorite and least favorites :D

granted i think everyone loves millhouse manastorm (why is he not a hearthstone mage hero yet?)

Even in that video though, at the very end he says "You can make anyone look good by just telling certain bits." That was him basically saying, sure, he had good intent on certain things, but all in all, he was completely bad.

19 hours ago, Valhalen said:

What if I like both but I like Alliance more :(

1 person likes this

not many people remember that he plays alliance (though im guessing like most long time players he has toons on both sides) i think the statue is a lovely idea and im sure he will cry when the real thing is showen off, also isn't he the first real person to get made into a statue at blizz?

1 hour ago, permeus said:

not many people remember that he plays alliance (though im guessing like most long time players he has toons on both sides) i think the statue is a lovely idea and im sure he will cry when the real thing is showen off, also isn't he the first real person to get made into a statue at blizz?

I believe he is, yeah. Rightly so in my opinion.

On 18 de setembro de 2016 at 7:18 AM, Blainie said:

What if I like both but I like Alliance more :(

So do I! Actually the only thing I like about Horde is Thrall and the Taurens (I'd roll one if we could play as Highmountain Tauren).

Chris,

Thanks, for all the hard work you've, put into the company and game or games. You, will be missed by many people at the company and in game. That's a great statue of you and winston. I don't have him. But, he's cute. I'll get him one day. Enjoy time with the family. 

Thank you

On 9/20/2016 at 0:14 PM, Valhalen said:

So do I! Actually the only thing I like about Horde is Thrall and the Taurens (I'd roll one if we could play as Highmountain Tauren).

I'm with you on the Tauren front. Would totally play a Highmountain, any day of the week!

I had a chance to meet and briefly speak with Chris at Blizzcon a couple years ago. he's a really cool, down to earth guy. He really epitomizes the oldschool developer mentality of loving games, and creating the sort of games you'd want to play. 

26 minutes ago, Storm said:

I had a chance to meet and briefly speak with Chris at Blizzcon a couple years ago. he's a really cool, down to earth guy. He really epitomizes the oldschool developer mentality of loving games, and creating the sort of games you'd want to play. 

He always just seemed like he genuinely loved what he was doing and creating. So sad to see him go.