FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Acrylics

Professions?

I've read the guides and know that engineering/Tailoring are probably my best bets for professions. My mage is actually my alt and my main is a assass rogue in which I raid with. I do plan on raiding with my mage as well, but I really need a gatherer. My rogue has mining but I want a toon with mining/herbalism. So I was thinking about maxing out mining/herb on my mage and dropping it on my rogue for BS or JC, My question is, are professions really going to be gamebreaking on my mage? Am I going to absolutely screw myself over if I have two gathering profs on my mage? Any help would be appreciated!

No, it'll be fine. Professions and races make slight differences. If you are in a Heroic progression group going for realm or world 1st's, then yes you need to eek out every bit of advantage. For the other 99% of the player base it doesn't amount to a significant difference.

Giving up 640 of your main stat is quite a bit and does make a real difference in raiding environments. If you want to have an herber/miner, roll a Druid as an alt. They're easy to level up by tanking dungeons and Flight Form makes gathering a breeze.

That's what I figured. I don't play for a bigger epeen so I guess I'll just go ahead and max it out on my mage. Sucks because I had this mage back in tbc and already had max mining from then and I dropped it for tailoring. FML.

I have no interest in leveling a druid or a character to max just to be a gatherer lol. Sounds like a big waste of time to me.

Appreciate the responses from both of you though! (:

I have a really quick question if you don't mind.. I have t14 2piece on my mage but I just got an LFR helm that is higher ilvl.. Should I drop the t14 helm and lose the 2p for higher ilvl/stats or should I wait until I get 2piece t15 then replace the helm?

Giving up 640 of your main stat is quite a bit and does make a real difference in raiding environments. If you want to have an herber/miner, roll a Druid as an alt. They're easy to level up by tanking dungeons and Flight Form makes gathering a breeze.

Yeah it's equivalent to .89% of your dps in full Normal BiS gear. If that's game breaking for you, you've got other problems.

I have a really quick question if you don't mind.. I have t14 2piece on my mage but I just got an LFR helm that is higher ilvl.. Should I drop the t14 helm and lose the 2p for higher ilvl/stats or should I wait until I get 2piece t15 then replace the helm?

I'm assuming you're frost?? If not, you should be Posted Image and in which case no don't break 2p t14 bonus unless maybe you are going to a 522 item. Post your armory and list your item options if you want an optimized set

Yeah it's equivalent to .89% of your dps in full Normal BiS gear. If that's game breaking for you, you've got other problems.

"Game breaking" was the OP's term, not mine. It won't break your game. But it does make a difference, particularly for someone who isn't close to full BiS yet, and leveling up a gathering alt doesn't take that long anymore.

Folks wouldn't be spending the money on Sha-Touched gems or weapon sockets if extra stats didn't matter.

It may not take that long anymore, I just don't have any interest in wanting a toon to max level just to be a gatherer. None of my toons are min/maxers. I generally make my toons to what I think I'll like looking at when I play the game. My mage used to be a male draenie and I hated playing that toon because of how awful it looked. I tried playing a female orc rogue and couldn't do it because I couldn't stand the look of my rogue and it was all for what? 1-2k extra dps? I was just wondering about professions because if it was going to make a huge difference then I would probably keep tailoring/engin but if it's really not that big of a deal on the charts then it's not that big of a deal to me. I already pull anywhere from 70-90k dps depending on the fight and that's without maxed professions. Now if the professions were going to bump up my dps by 10k or so I would defintely keep the professions.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostwolf/Chupagobra/simple

It may not take that long anymore, I just don't have any interest in wanting a toon to max level just to be a gatherer. None of my toons are min/maxers. I generally make my toons to what I think I'll like looking at when I play the game. My mage used to be a male draenie and I hated playing that toon because of how awful it looked. I tried playing a female orc rogue and couldn't do it because I couldn't stand the look of my rogue and it was all for what? 1-2k extra dps? I was just wondering about professions because if it was going to make a huge difference then I would probably keep tailoring/engin but if it's really not that big of a deal on the charts then it's not that big of a deal to me. I already pull anywhere from 70-90k dps depending on the fight and that's without maxed professions. Now if the professions were going to bump up my dps by 10k or so I would defintely keep the professions.

http://us.battle.net...upagobra/simple

Then I suggest to take up Mining and use what you mine to max out Engineering. Synapse Springs is amazing for Fire in particular, and the profession has some nice quality of life boosts. It is a bit of a money sink though. Mining will give you extra Stamina. On the one hand, it won't help your DPS, but on the other, if Stamina wasn't important, it wouldn't be on your gear..

And keep Herbalism on your Rogue. It would not be my choice of a profession to try and level again..

Then I suggest to take up Mining and use what you mine to max out Engineering. Synapse Springs is amazing for Fire in particular, and the profession has some nice quality of life boosts. It is a bit of a money sink though. Mining will give you extra Stamina. On the one hand, it won't help your DPS, but on the other, if Stamina wasn't important, it wouldn't be on your gear..

And keep Herbalism on your Rogue. It would not be my choice of a profession to try and level again..

Oh, I know -___- I spent a good 6-7k on my rogue to max out my engineering. Idk.. I'll make my decision soon. I have a level 80 warrior that I'm going to be leveling on my off time from raiding and lfrs on my mage. I may just do mining and herb on my warrior. Although, I really like the way melee plays so I might end up babying my warrior more than my mage. And if I end up maxing herb/mining on my war then this was all a waste of our time Posted Image

And completely off topic, but one of the best geared warriors in the world is a female belf. So I think I'll be fine with whatever decision I make. I do appreciate all the help with this, even though it's been making me change my mind about my profs every 2 minutes and driving me nuts. Posted Image

Editx2 I'm an idiot... I completely forgot that I have a level 86 monk that I can hit level cap in 2 days if I wanted too and I can just make her a gatherer. Lulz........... I'm really sorry for wasting both of your guy's time.. I just hadn't played my monk in awhile and forgot she's been gathering rested xp for about 2 months now.

Edited by Acrylics
  • Like 1

Why did no one mention that herbalism provides haste (2800-something for a period of time, right?), and haste is great for a frost mage?

With NT/LB being very dependant on haste and AT to increase the lenght of effect for an extra 6 seconds, it's quite a viable option. Have not done actual math, just a quick glance.

Am I missing something?

It will not extend the effect.

int from other professions will always be better than haste.

Yet again, if it is not about serious raiding, it is completely fine to choose these 2 gathering professions.

However, most of the serious raiding guild's will not accept any applications with these profs.

I have actually seen them as a requirement/rule in most guilds.

Have fun leveling your monk! :D

• Like 1