FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Elinor

Ask Mr. Robot pushing mastery over everything else?

Hi all-

Created an account to ask about this... I'm not exactly a top-notch healer, but I do OK for my guild's raiding needs (we did normal progression in WoD).  I typically follow the Icy Veins general advice and also check with Ask Mr. Robot on specific upgrades/sidegrades when it's not immediately obvious.  I'm finding, however, that Mr. Robot is overwhelmingly suggesting mastery enchants and gems for me when I would think I should be pushing haste (I do understand that the neck enchant is a special case, but it's not just that).  Is there a divergence in the two schools of thought in Legion, any explanation for this?

Here's my Armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/suramar/Elinor/advanced

At the moment I'm happy with 5-man heroics, looking to do LFR once it's released, and eventually mythic 5-mans and normal EN.  I've got some things that I can swap in to increase both haste and mastery (esp. trinkets, which are currently bursting with crit, damn them) with a slight ilvl reduction, but the whole haste/mastery thing between I-V and AMR is confusing me and I wanted to sort it out first.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

~Eli

Mastery definitely rises in value when in a very tight, close environment, but I wouldn't say it goes past Haste. I would say our M+ build is as far as I would rate Mastery.

As I answer more and more threads, it seems everyone is asking:

"Why is Ask Mr Robot telling me weird things?"

I don't know why, but I can't see a justification for their choice.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Was wondering if I was missing a case where (in Icy-Veins logic) mastery would be helpful in those amounts, sounds like no.  Really appreciate the reply.

On 9/22/2016 at 0:34 PM, Blainie said:

Mastery definitely rises in value when in a very tight, close environment, but I wouldn't say it goes past Haste. I would say our M+ build is as far as I would rate Mastery.

As I answer more and more threads, it seems everyone is asking:

"Why is Ask Mr Robot telling me weird things?"

I don't know why, but I can't see a justification for their choice.

Blainie that is exactly what made me originally come here asking for help AMR is really pushing Mastery hard and I knew that couldn't be the case for what I was looking for at the time (raiding stats piority). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Aztecia said:

Blainie that is exactly what made me originally come here asking for help AMR is really pushing Mastery hard and I knew that couldn't be the case for what I was looking for at the time (raiding stats piority). 

It sucks, because people will quote it against our stats. It means we essentially have to re-sim things to prove to people that it's correct, despite there being no proof of things being wrong. 

Oh well! If it brings more wonderful users to our site, then I'm OK with it :)

• Like 1

Their stat weights are generated using their "Gearing Strategy" sim. This uses a 20 man group size to simulate raid healing. According to them, it's a lot more accurate than simc as it is doing significantly more calculations to arrive at results. Is it true? Who knows.

what I can say is I did a "gearing strategy" sim for my 844 resto Druid and came out with interesting results. I gave the weights a try in our raids and certainly didn't notice any problems. When simming, the stat weights they provided did edge out the ones here but it was a very small margin (a few k HPS).

Take that how you will. I personally will not be turning my back on AMR or Icy Veins.

Edit: Here's a quote from their discord since someone was asking about a different class:

so it's in the ballpark of a few million iterations

SimC looks at your current gear and gets 2 data points for each stat right next to your current gear. This is why you see them change wildly based on the gear you have. It's good for 1 or 2 upgrades, but not for overall gear planning. AMR looks at your item level and then looks at 1000s of data points over a range of iLevels to get you weights that don't flip-flop all the time and is good for ranking the next 20 upgrades, or so. It's really good for gear planning.

It's a new method we've released that is really great at ranking gear. And we have even more features to add to it, to make gear ranking even better.

Edited by Tree
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tree said:

Take that how you will. I personally will not be turning my back on AMR or Icy Veins.

I think that's fair enough. People are allowed to use what they wish and it's not my place to tell them otherwise. I only have problems with AMR users when they quote something from AMR, have no reason to back it up and then tell me everything we have is wrong. :(

• Like 1

Wow, thanks for all the additional info!

Are there stat weights you would recommend for a resto druid doing mostly mythic 5-mans and LFR (but heading into normal EN soon enough, with probably only ~10 people)?  I don't really understand how to sim to get my own, and even whether it's really all that necessary.  Mr. Robot uses mastery at 11.38 with no cap, and haste at 10.31.  I suppose I could just swap those around, but if there's a number someone's come up with that would be more intelligent that would be awesome.  Googling doesn't seem to provide any current info, ditto for these forums (I see some stuff for WoD but not Legion, maybe I'm not searching for the right things?).

Thank you again!

Edited to add: I'm looking to use their interface for judging upgrade/sidegrades.

Edited by Elinor

Ack.  Just found your reply in the resto trinkets thread, Blainie.  Trying to figure out how Weak Auras works and how I can get weights out of that thing...  :)

Sorry I couldn't get to you faster!

I'm happy you found the other thread though. Did you get it working in the end?