FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
kainito

Heroic Ji-Kun

I was going over my logs from normal, my group will start our attempts on Ji-Kun this week, and I saw this regarding infected talons

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/276l0iug4ovmwh5x/spell/140092/?s=1578&e=2013

Basically, I took very very little damage from infected talons. Is this due to my blood shield absorbing the damage, or preventing stacks while BS is up?

It's nature damage, so BS won't do anything for it.

I think WoL only counts a "hit" on the first application of the debuff. which means that basically your stacks are dropping more often than the druid. This can be caused by 3 things.

1.) The druid is tanking the boss more often and just happens to be getting more stacks

2.) You had better RNG at dodging/parrying Caw, which would cause you to not get a stack of the debuff, and also lead to it dropping before the next caw

3.) You were using AMS when caw hit, which stopped the application of infected talons, and lead to your stacks dropping.

4?) I just thought of another but it's a long shot. It's also possible that if your bloodshield fully absorbs the hit from caw, it could also be preventing the debuff from stacking. If we get Megera down tonight I'll do some testing on this one.

Edited by Storm

Ok, so going over logs over the past weeks on normal Ji-Kun and every fight, I take incredibly less damage from infected talons than my fellow tank, a big stinky bear. http://www.worldoflo.../guilds/220961/ I am in the group that raids Thursday and Sunday. Now, we switch at 2 stacks all the time blah blah, so I couldn't be tankin him too much less than the other tank, so there has to be something that prevents infected talons, any info on that? I usually save my AMS for soaking feed pools, not while I'm on boss. Could it be a wonderful string of RNG and stacks falling off every time? Wasn't able to test last night cause of a wonderful 15 minute storm (storm is a bit strong, more like 15 minute of showers) knocked out cable, and on the day we are suppose to start H Ji-Kun. God hates my raid group I think. Thanks for advice.

Edited by kainito

Ok, so going over logs over the past weeks on normal Ji-Kun and every fight, I take incredibly less damage from infected talons than my fellow tank, a big stinky bear. http://www.worldoflo.../guilds/220961/ I am in the group that raids Thursday and Sunday. Now, we switch at 2 stacks all the time blah blah, so I couldn't be tankin him too much less than the other tank, so there has to be something that prevents infected talons, any info on that? I usually save my AMS for soaking feed pools, not while I'm on boss. Could it be a wonderful string of RNG and stacks falling off every time? Wasn't able to test last night cause of a wonderful 15 minute storm (storm is a bit strong, more like 15 minute of showers) knocked out cable, and on the day we are suppose to start H Ji-Kun. God hates my raid group I think. Thanks for advice.

Rewriting since I was looking at the wrong log -

On Ji-Kun I always keep Savage Defense up religiously since Infected Talons is applied by melee attacks. Your druid was spending all of his rage on Maul, which does reduce the melee damage but still allows Infected Talons to be applied, so it's not a good way to spend Rage on this fight.

If you look at what Bitemee was doing in your Thursday log, he also had very low uptime on Savage Defense, but he healed himself 115 times with Frenzied Regeneration. So he made up for the increased damage intake by healing it back, which is a better approach. I still think that keeping Savage Defense up is best, though, because it minimizes Infected Talons damage which makes the spikes from Talon Rake easier to handle. By letting SD fall off when she's casting Quills/Feed Young/Downdraft, you can make sure you always have a charge available when she is meleeing.

Log from our last kill:

http://www.worldoflo.../?s=1898&e=2279

My damage intake in terms of DPS was half as much as your druid, and about a quarter as much from Infected Talons - and I have less gear than him (523 to his 527).

Edited by Tarazet

Slightly off the original topic, but here goes.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for DK Tanks to get back in melee range for Talon Rake after a Down Draft?

I've been trying switching to Unholy Presence and popping Death's Advance for the Draft, but still I sometimes fall short on getting to range for it.

Sometimes I use my Ghouls to take the Talon Rakes after a Draft, but I cant have that all the time with the 2mins cooldown.

I try to start running against the Draft from right under the boss to minimise the range I need to run also.

So, are there ways to improve my movement up from what im already doing? (Without external help such as Angelic Feather or Stampeding Roar)

Death's Advance under the boss should let you stay in his range during entire down draft. Look out for green pools. Y

ou dont want external help but if you have lock make him pop a portal from edge to under the boss so when its <1sec on Down Draft you can just teleport into him.

The warlock portal is indeed very nice. Sadly we do not have a warlock who'd have 100% attendance so it isnt always possible.

Alright, i'll try to work on my starting position a bit more carefully. Thanks. :)

Death's Advance under the boss should let you stay in his range during entire down draft. Look out for green pools. Y

ou dont want external help but if you have lock make him pop a portal from edge to under the boss so when its <1sec on Down Draft you can just teleport into him.

It drops aggro, but in this case, as long as you're the closest one to the bird that should work.

Avoid using any kind of pet to soak talon rake after a downdraft, Ji-kun tends to go into a quills right after killing the pet with talon rake if there is no one else in melee range, which can lead to getting quills twice in a row, which will lead to your healers hating your guts.

Avoid using any kind of pet to soak talon rake after a downdraft, Ji-kun tends to go into a quills right after killing the pet with talon rake if there is no one else in melee range, which can lead to getting quills twice in a row, which will lead to your healers hating your guts.

I've seen her rake totems. That's helpful, though it really sucked for that shaman who had his earth elemental disappear.

Careful with warlock portals as a tank. They drop all your threat when you use it and cannot generate more while you have the debuff.

• Like 1

When I'm out of range I death grip the boss in the middle of the talon rake cast and I would say 50% of the time Ji-kun drops target and Talon rake doesn't hit anyone.

It doesn't work with dark command, only death grip which I believe is because deathgrip specifically locks the target on to you for 3 seconds. It's most likely considered a glitch/exploit and now that I'm posting it to a place like Icy-Veins it will probably be fixed if others start to reproduce the same results I've had. Ji-kun is a face roll for us now though so I'm willing to share even if it inevitably gets it fixed.

Edited by Storm

Both Death Grip and Dark Command lock the target to you for a certain time (3 and 4 seconds respectively), so i imagine DC not working is due to something else. I would not use lock portals because of the threat drop. Do you not have any druids for stampeding roar?

Yes, we do have an active Feral Druid, but due to spot rotation he's not there every time. And one Resto who's activity and connection are questionable, so Stampede also isn't a reliable possibility.

I might try to have me and the other tank switch with starting and see if his half gets less Draft+Rake combos.

Ok, back to original topic... hijackers =P

http://worldoflogs.c...s=10311&e=10822

ok, so 7 million less damage from talon rake for me compared to my fellow tank, good bit less i'd say

only thing i can think of is BS absorbing a full melee hit and the debuff not being applied

You mean 7 million less from Infected Talons. And yes, that would be my guess as well. The Druid still wasn't mitigating enough of the bird's melee damage (more uptime on Nature's Vigil than Savage Defense?), but if he wants to be a Vengeance hog, he should at least use the Capacitive gem instead of Indom..