FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Freak

New to healing - need help

OK lets see where do i start? i'm new to healing but not new to the shaman class i played enhance up till this expansion when i decided to go resto after our first 2 raids i've started to worry as my healing seems so low for what my ilvl is and compared to our other shaman...one of my problems seems to be riptide usage which i am currently working on any help anyone can give me will be appreciated armory and log links inc

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Freak/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wvhzTdpGFj1bDrgt#type=healing&fight=10

EDIT: link to all logs https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/159268

Edited by Freak

Hi,

I have made a quick look to your logs and what I can se, is that you are using Healing stream totem a bit less, then you should.

My second advice is closely tighted to your talents. I saw, that you has been using in few fights Cloudburst totem. Try to get maximum from that, you it can be awesome bursty healing spell, if you tight it with some nice spells like Gift of the queen, Ancestral Guidance or Ascendance. If you swap to Echo of the elements, then you must have doubled number of Riptides and HSTs.

On the end, one question from me. Dont you have at late fight mana issues? On nearly all fights, your primary healing spell is Healing surge, which is quite expensive spell. Even if I compare it to your raid collegue, he is using HS maybe one half less then you, instead using healing wave.

You have too much versatility. You need to make sure to use healing stream totem as you have 2 charges and you should almost always have one up. Your healing rain heal is low compared to the other guy. Watch where he places healing rain to learn good placement. 

Thanks both of you for contributing to help out!

I'm not that well versed in the art of Resto Shaman, so it's nice to see people coming out and helping. 

Tagging @Freak to see the replies.

6 hours ago, Gyresa said:

On nearly all fights, your primary healing spell is Healing surge

still new to healing so i guess i go into a panic mode and just start spamming healing surge. anyways thank you guys for the replies and i will start working on stuff that was pointed out

On 9/24/2016 at 3:04 AM, Freak said:

OK lets see where do i start? i'm new to healing but not new to the shaman class i played enhance up till this expansion when i decided to go resto after our first 2 raids i've started to worry as my healing seems so low for what my ilvl is and compared to our other shaman...one of my problems seems to be riptide usage which i am currently working on any help anyone can give me will be appreciated armory and log links inc

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Freak/simple

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wvhzTdpGFj1bDrgt#type=healing&fight=10

EDIT: link to all logs https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/159268

Hello,

As it was already mentioned, you have way too much Versatility and extremely low Haste. Actually if you'd swap the numbers on these stats, it would be just perfect.:)

Were you stacking Versatility for some reason (it's the lowest prio in our stats) or just unlucky with drops?

Now the logs:

You are specced into CBT but don't use it - only one cast on Nythendra. On my HC Nythendra kill which is 40 sec. shorter than yours, I used CBT 10 times and it did 9% of my Total healing (almost 8M vs your 700K).

You used HTT only once, could easily use it twice in a 6:30 fight, so it's at least 4M of healing lost.

HST usage is very low - 5 casts are not even a half of the possible (12-13 possible for a 6:30 fight). So add another 3M healing lost.

I wouldn't advice you to use Deluge, CBT+AG is a huge gain and both these spells are smart and do almost no overhealing, while Deluge is seriously gated by additional conditions. So if your raid (or at least half of it) is not stacked in your Healing Rain most of time while needing a constant CH spamming, I wouldn't take Deluge.

If you want to see my logs for the same fight you linked (Nythendra HC), here they are. 

Talents used: Torrent, Graceful Spirit, LST, AG, AV, CBT, HT.

You said that you are new to the healing, in this case I would suggest you to use some WA to keep track of your HST and CBT usage at least.

One  more suggestion regarding spamming Healing Surge when going panic mode :)

I had this habit of using HS solely (just a habit because I like fast casts) that became irrelevant in Legion, so to get rid of it, I assigned HW to a much easier button than HS ^^. HW cast is on a mouse scroll down while HS cast is a Shift+Right Click. It helped!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pandacho said:

Were you stacking Versatility for some reason (it's the lowest prio in our stats) or just unlucky with drops?

just unlucky with drops...i've replaced/switched around a few items and have gotten my versatility down and my haste up went from 7% versatility and 6% haste to 4% versatility and 9% haste

Hello Pandacho, 

I have a query. Torrent seems to be the recommended choice for raiding. Would Unleash Life ever be competitive with Torrent? For example, if we are able to use UL to empower Chain Heal every time? Is unleash life avoided by raiders because it feels clunky to use? Thank you! 

5 hours ago, Karanir said:

Hello Pandacho, 

I have a query. Torrent seems to be the recommended choice for raiding. Would Unleash Life ever be competitive with Torrent? For example, if we are able to use UL to empower Chain Heal every time? Is unleash life avoided by raiders because it feels clunky to use? Thank you! 

Hello :)

Torrent is better for raiding because of 2 reasons:

first, it's a build-in addition to a spell you use on CD already. It makes Riptide stronger without complicating the healing by adding more spells or taking a GCD. 

Second, Unleash Life can't empower CH every time because of its 15 sec. CD. UL is not a bad talent but the great value of CH in raid fights is a possibility to spam it in 'Oh, shit' situations. You can't get a serious output of UL in these situations because of its CD. CH could be spammed, so let's say you can cast 7 CH in 15 sec window but only on of them will be empowered by UL.

• Like 2

Hello Pandacho, 

Thank you for sharing your insights with me. I'm a new shaman healer so forgive me if I am asking a silly question. I'm trying to learn how to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the talent so that I know how to adapt my spec to the situation when needed. 

I use Chain Heal to top people off if it gets full benefit with little to no overhealing. For many of the boss fights, the damage is rather predicable (example: boss AOE every xyz seconds), so the chain heal usage is spaced out in time throughout the entire fight. As a result, it seems possible to use UL to power chain heal very often. For example, for the log you linked above, many of the chain heals you casted were 15s apart. 

Would it be viable to use UL as a mana saving tool and to improve healing throughput in this case? An UL chain heal with High Tide is very mana-efficient. And overall, it provides more healing throughput if I am able to use UL on chain heal regularly every 15s or so. Is there anything that I am missing here? 

Thanks so much for contributing so much to the Shaman community! Appreciate it, mate! 

1 hour ago, Karanir said:

Hello Pandacho, 

Thank you for sharing your insights with me. I'm a new shaman healer so forgive me if I am asking a silly question. I'm trying to learn how to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the talent so that I know how to adapt my spec to the situation when needed. 

I use Chain Heal to top people off if it gets full benefit with little to no overhealing. For many of the boss fights, the damage is rather predicable (example: boss AOE every xyz seconds), so the chain heal usage is spaced out in time throughout the entire fight. As a result, it seems possible to use UL to power chain heal very often. For example, for the log you linked above, many of the chain heals you casted were 15s apart. 

Would it be viable to use UL as a mana saving tool and to improve healing throughput in this case? An UL chain heal with High Tide is very mana-efficient. And overall, it provides more healing throughput if I am able to use UL on chain heal regularly every 15s or so. Is there anything that I am missing here? 

Thanks so much for contributing so much to the Shaman community! Appreciate it, mate! 

Heyas,

your questions are not silly and don't be shy asking :)

I would try to explain how I use CH in raids and how it makes the UL talent less benefitial than Torrent.

CH is normally used in 2 situations: as a standard AoE heal when injured people are too spread for HR and their number is enough to make CH faster and more efficient than a single target healing. This is a regular situation that occurs here and there through the fight and in this case you would be able to buff almost every CH with UL.

But the thing is that CH with HT talent is much more valuable for a high damage situations when all the raid drops low and you can't use a raid CD for some reason. Here you would be spamming CH making the most usage of it but you actually wouldn't be able to buff any of them with UL apart of the first one (I can't recall any CH spam for more than 15 sec which is the UL cooldown). 

This is the reason of UL talent lower value in raids - you have almost zero usage of it during high damage and when the damage is regular you can happily stick to HW for a single target healing and HR for the stacked groups.

Torrent though doesn't have any restrictions - it's a flat passive buff to a heal that you anyway use on CD no matter what kind of damage you are healing.

Except of above, adding another CD (UL) complicates your healing and makes it somehow unnecessary bumpy.

I can't remember any of legion shaman theorycrafters doing UL+CH math after the talent buff, but if you'll look  into any resto shaman logs on any Nightmare boss, you'll find no usage for UL talent. I just did it and it was between 0 and 4 people for every 200 shamans on a page. 

I compared some personal logs with and without UL too and frankly, found almost no difference in a CH average hit most of times (941K without UL vs 967K with UL).

You can though try it by yourself in a bunch of fights and share the logs with us :)

• Like 1

Hello, 

This is a great answer that explains a lot of the decision making behind the scenes in choosing talents. I've learnt a lot from this. Thanks Pandacho! 

PS: You've convinced me to continue to stick to Torrent for raids.