Peelyon

Gold Making: 3 Simple Steps to Increase your Gold

31 posts in this topic

Peelyon outlines a few key steps that can help you make more gold, regardless how much you have!

61Bi6pC.png

Introduction

I wanted to highlight a few very simple things that can help almost any player increase their overall gold, as sometimes you can lose sight of the basics when grinding.  This thread is meant to be light-hearted but the tips will actually work if you stick to them.

With the Legion launch there have been a great number of returning players.  If you have had similar experiences to me, prices for items have been pretty crazy so far and I'm finding more and more players asking the simple question "How do I make more gold?"

There are more gold making "methods" than ever before but rather than going into specifics that can sometimes can be complicated and time consuming, I'm going to go back to basics.

So whether you are a returning player, a player struggling to get to grips with gold making or a gold making veteran - I hope these three simple steps will at least get you focused for making some gold.  

The 3 Simple Steps

1. Don't Spend Gold!

Not to always be taken literally!  If you're raiding you still need to have gold to repair and buy potions and flasks etc, but don't spend gold on unnecessary items.  Some examples:  

• Buying a 20k mount when you probably won't use it more than 5 times.
  • Changing your transmog continuously (it costs more than you think - the same goes for changing your hairstyles).  
  • Paying premium prices for pets and toys that you probably won't use for a while (and you can buy at a later date when they are much cheaper).  

You get the point.  By making a concerted effort not to spend gold, as well as trying to make gold at the same time, your gold will steadily increase.  Craft what you can, use friends / guildies to make what you need for raids, gearing etc.  The less you spend the more gold in your bags!

2. Don't do anything you don't want to

There are so many gold makers that try and help players to make gold (myself included), but one of the points I make continuously on my stream is that you should never try a gold making method just because you were told to do it.  If it involves game play that you don't find enjoyable then you won't make much gold doing it.  Gold making is meant to be fun and completing tasks that tie in with the way you play the game will yield you more gold in the long run.  So combining gold making with your regular day to day activities that you like doing is better than going out farming herbs if you HATE farming herbs!

If you read / watch / learn about a gold making method but it doesn't appeal to you, find one that does.  You can make gold in almost any game play within World of Warcraft, from the basic farming materials, to crafting, even selling boosts to other players if you are a high end raider / PvPer etc.  If in doubt try a method that doesn't require much investment upfront and give it a try.  That way there is no risk to yourself and if you enjoy it you can carry on and if you don't, you try something else.

3. Motivation is key!

I have touched on this briefly in other articles but it is key to gold making - being demotivated can be the fastest way to spend your gold!  This does link in with point 2 above to some extent, so by keeping things fresh and enjoyable you will keep your motivation up and it will encourage you to make gold.

A great way to keep yourself motivated is to set yourself a gold challenge or a target.  I have set viewers simple challenges before and have found when players put their mind to it they see some great results.  Just make sure your targets are:

• Realistic

There is no point having 120k and reaching for 1million.  Keep the targets smaller and continually set new ones when you reach them so you don't get stuck hovering around the same amount.

• Have a set time period 

By setting a time limit it will keep your motivation up and help you grind out that gold faster.

• Have a reward (optional)

Although you don't want to spend all the gold you earn, having a reward at the end may motivate you as well. So if you struggle with point 1 (spending your gold on non essential items) then feed your addiction with your reward rather than spending the gold in the first place :P

Wrap Up

Remember, all of my gold articles I have written so far are available here.  So if you are looking for a new method check there first (just remember point 2!) 

If you would like some more 1 to 1 advice remember I stream regularly on Twitch and I'm happy to answer your own questions in more depth there.  You can find a link to my Twitch channel here.  

Lastly - if you would like me to set you a goal challenge or a target, post below with your current gold (feel free to add in extra info such as what you enjoy, your professions and a rough amount of time you play per week).

Good luck with gold making folks and keep an eye out for more articles in future!

• Like 1

Alright I have been trying to earn enough gold to buy Tokens through in game mechanics so that I no longer have to spend my real money on subscriptions. I am sitting around 27k right now, I earn most of my gold selling ore (I'm a blacksmith/mining Holy Pally). I generally play 25 hours or so a week, but I am also working towards raiding. Currently sitting at 840 ilvl I am close to being able to do it, but I still do my world quests every day for the chance at epic/mythic drops from boxes and utilizing the artifact power boosts too. I will admit that I am a bit of a mount junkie too, if I see a mount I really like I either go buy it or complete the achievements to attain it. I know that mounts can eat up a lot of my gold, so that's one thing I have been cutting back on since my sub is almost up and I would like to get a token within the next week. Do you think earning 45-50k a month is reasonable while still doing what I'm doing? That gives me about 9-16k to play with towards saving up for a mount in a few months.

• Like 1

So in my head I was being a cynic when I was reading this article, then i got to the transmog tip, I change my mog like 3 times a day XD I stopped and thought about it, if i settled on one i'd probably be able to buy a spider mount in a month XD

great tip :D

• Like 1

Great article! I really enjoyed it. I'm a Ret Pally sitting at around 35K gold right now. I play casually around 15 hours a week. I am a smith and miner, but running around with the sole purpose of mining is not really my gig. I do enjoy running legacy content. I usually run Firelands and ICC every week. I've been told I need to add in a few more to that like Dragon Soul. Is it worth it? Thanks again for the great article. Have an awesome day!

1 hour ago, Cmuny said:

Alright I have been trying to earn enough gold to buy Tokens through in game mechanics so that I no longer have to spend my real money on subscriptions. I am sitting around 27k right now, I earn most of my gold selling ore (I'm a blacksmith/mining Holy Pally). I generally play 25 hours or so a week, but I am also working towards raiding. Currently sitting at 840 ilvl I am close to being able to do it, but I still do my world quests every day for the chance at epic/mythic drops from boxes and utilizing the artifact power boosts too. I will admit that I am a bit of a mount junkie too, if I see a mount I really like I either go buy it or complete the achievements to attain it. I know that mounts can eat up a lot of my gold, so that's one thing I have been cutting back on since my sub is almost up and I would like to get a token within the next week. Do you think earning 45-50k a month is reasonable while still doing what I'm doing? That gives me about 9-16k to play with towards saving up for a mount in a few months.

With ore prices the way that they are (on most servers) that doesnt seem out of reach!  Keep checking the prices on the craftable blacksmith gear and make sure you have a good mix of selling the crafts and the actual raw ore at the same time.  The key to having your subscription paid through gold I feel is trying NOT to be hand to mouth every month.  The worst thing for a lot of token grinders is forever dropping back down to really low amounts of gold each and every months.  It demotivates you massively and it turns the gold making into a high pressured grind every single month, with your game time dwindling constantly.

If possible I try and tell people to only buy a token for subscription when they have 2-3 months of potential tokens left over.  That way it takes the pressure off if you have a bad month / prices drop in the markets you are in (so mining and BS) or if your game time suffers.

Go cold turkey for a little while on the mounts until you've built up that safety net first :D

58 minutes ago, demonardvark said:

So in my head I was being a cynic when I was reading this article, then i got to the transmog tip, I change my mog like 3 times a day XD I stopped and thought about it, if i settled on one i'd probably be able to buy a spider mount in a month XD

great tip :D

It's really surprising how much it costs :P I bet most people never see the amount of gold it takes and it just whittles away without you knowing!

5 minutes ago, DarthTido said:

Great article! I really enjoyed it. I'm a Ret Pally sitting at around 35K gold right now. I play casually around 15 hours a week. I am a smith and miner, but running around with the sole purpose of mining is not really my gig. I do enjoy running legacy content. I usually run Firelands and ICC every week. I've been told I need to add in a few more to that like Dragon Soul. Is it worth it? Thanks again for the great article. Have an awesome day!

I hate farming old raids as much as farming for ores :P

However the great thing with a lot of legacy raids is you know its pretty much the same guaranteed gold each and every run, so I totally see the appeal.  As I hate doing it I haven't ran any old instances since Legion launch and I know that the gold values have changed.  All I will say is it helps to motivate yourself if your'e going for a mount or something else (possibly completing the legendary in Firelands or the rogue daggers in Dragon Soul) - again using that opportunity to make some gold while at the same time completing some regular gameplay!

So if you still need the mount from Dragon Soul then try a few runs - see if it's worth your time.  You may find you actually get a lot more gold per hour farming ores though, so it then becomes a toss up between gauging your "fun per hour" as well as your gold per hour (which on occasion the gold can be worth you doing things you hate - sssh that goes against what I said above!)

I keep losing gold since raid started (from 120k to 50k ((and 120k is a lot for me)), and that's solely due to the price of flasks and potions (4k/flask + 1k/potion)... Can't wait for 7.1 and all those "free" plants !!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dAwq said:

I keep losing gold since raid started (from 120k to 50k ((and 120k is a lot for me)), and that's solely due to the price of flasks and potions (4k/flask + 1k/potion)... Can't wait for 7.1 and all those "free" plants !!

Yup the cost of regular raiding has been really disproportionate compared to previous expansions!  Really crazy for a lot of players.  Try and off set as much as you can, maybe even seeing if a friend will farm herbs etc for a discount.  Just use whatever you can to get those mats and crafts done as cheaply as possible!

I've gone from about 50k since the expansion started to about 500k(with 500k of auctions currently that sell fairly consistently) skinning initally and now selling obliterum. What markets would be a good idea to check out now that i've got a bit of capital built up?

1 hour ago, igetdahkstoo said:

I've gone from about 50k since the expansion started to about 500k(with 500k of auctions currently that sell fairly consistently) skinning initally and now selling obliterum. What markets would be a good idea to check out now that i've got a bit of capital built up?

Seeing as your skinning already then look into leatherworking see what you can push there.  If you have an alt with enchanting as well the potential for gold can be pretty sweet when you combine the skinning , lw then the enchanting as well.  Check out my Obliterum guide for how I use LW and enchanting here

29 minutes ago, ThomasSottiaux said:

I farm gold only to buy tokens, which is easy as cake and can be done in 2 weeks if you're a really lazy wanker like me. Am I a bad person?

Doesn't make you bad but doesn't help people either :P What do you farm? Mats or just old content?

Honestly one of the easiest ways to make gold right now is just running Cata raids, doing the main four should net you around 3.5-4k~ I usually make that much on each toon and I even skip a few bosses. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peelyon said:

Doesn't make you bad but doesn't help people either :P What do you farm? Mats or just old content?

I've been a good person the other day, I really wanted to beat a pet battle world quest and bought 2 pets at the ah for 2k each. I felt dead inside dude but managed to beat the battle though.

but to answer your question, I mainly sell yellow inscription stuff and the  very occasional expensive thing I come across when I go here and there.

what do you do?

well, since my post I've made just a bit more:WoWScrnShot_092916_142606.jpg

21 hours ago, Peelyon said:

Seeing as your skinning already then look into leatherworking see what you can push there.  If you have an alt with enchanting as well the potential for gold can be pretty sweet when you combine the skinning , lw then the enchanting as well.  Check out my Obliterum guide for how I use LW and enchanting here

I'll check it out, one of my other alts is 700 enchanting so i'll have to see what I can do with it

• Like 1

Yep you can disenchant no problem on the alt.  If you can get a use for the Blood of Sargeras thats helpful as well :D

24 minutes ago, Peelyon said:

Yep you can disenchant no problem on the alt.  If you can get a use for the Blood of Sargeras thats helpful as well :D

i'll get bloods on the enchanter right? it's also an alchemist so i'll be able to use the bloods for what I currently do to make obliterum, It will save me a few hundred gold per oblit since I don't have to pay off an alchemist haha

On 28/9/2016 at 5:14 PM, Peelyon said:

Peelyon outlines a few key steps that can help you make more gold, regardless how much you have!

Lastly - if you would like me to set you a goal challenge or a target, post below with your current gold (feel free to add in extra info such as what you enjoy, your professions and a rough amount of time you play per week).

Hi Peelyon,

i have actually 735Kgold. My main character have mining + herbalism. i play usually 3-4 hours every day and 6-7 hours in the week end.

I usually spent my time to farming mine and herb when not in raid.

Have u a tips for reach the 3°stars in the gathering profession? what spot for farming are the best? and what can do my goal challeng?

Thanks and sry for my english.

2 hours ago, Bendy said:

Hi Peelyon,

i have actually 735Kgold. My main character have mining + herbalism. i play usually 3-4 hours every day and 6-7 hours in the week end.

I usually spent my time to farming mine and herb when not in raid.

Have u a tips for reach the 3°stars in the gathering profession? what spot for farming are the best? and what can do my goal challeng?

Thanks and sry for my english.

I'm pretty sure that the ranks are all just RNG based.  I've known a few players that have got rank 3 on quite a few different herb types while others have none so just keep sticking with it!  Hope you watch something like Netflix with all that herb / mining ;)

12 hours ago, igetdahkstoo said:

i'll get bloods on the enchanter right? it's also an alchemist so i'll be able to use the bloods for what I currently do to make obliterum, It will save me a few hundred gold per oblit since I don't have to pay off an alchemist haha

Yup! The bloods are a small chance "proc" when you disenchant!  Sounds like a great idea for sure and means your'e using everything at every stage!  Good luck with it!

2 hours ago, Peelyon said:

Hope you watch something like Netflix with all that herb / mining ;)

ahahah.. no im usually stay on voice chat with friends :-)

...and what can do my goal challeng?

1 hour ago, Bendy said:

ahahah.. no im usually stay on voice chat with friends :-)

...and what can do my goal challeng?

Push for 800k - yours is a bit higher than a few I've done but take advantage of the prices before they drop! Good luck!