FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
FrozenTurtle

Blood Dk or Warrior ? Have Logs

Other Tanks is DH.

Logs:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/c8FkGYWfJPxNXhvj#boss=-2

Toon: FrozenTurtle http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Frozenturtle/simple

I feel that when I am tanking I either have am sitting at full health or I am constantly struggling to stay up in fights. I am keeping my Marrowind(5+) constantly but I feel that I am having to burn vamp blood alot. Is this just normal or is it more an issue that due to other tank also be a *regen* type tank that healers are having a much harder time keeping up with both. I am looking for an thought or opinions that would help. I have tried to follow the info listed in the guide. 

So a thought would be that I would switch to a warrior to try to offset the healing. This is the main reason behind the post. 1st boss has not been a problem.  But spider boss and bear(aware of jugling stacks need work) have been.

Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, FrozenTurtle said:

Other Tanks is DH.

Logs:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/c8FkGYWfJPxNXhvj#boss=-2

Toon: FrozenTurtle http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Frozenturtle/simple

I feel that when I am tanking I either have am sitting at full health or I am constantly struggling to stay up in fights. I am keeping my Marrowind(5+) constantly but I feel that I am having to burn vamp blood alot. Is this just normal or is it more an issue that due to other tank also be a *regen* type tank that healers are having a much harder time keeping up with both. I am looking for an thought or opinions that would help. I have tried to follow the info listed in the guide. 

So a thought would be that I would switch to a warrior to try to offset the healing. This is the main reason behind the post. 1st boss has not been a problem.  But spider boss and bear(aware of jugling stacks need work) have been.

Thanks in advance.

no what you are experiencing is quite normal. blood dks play differently now then they classically did. you have no true mitigation compared to other tanks. you have ways to dampen damage but you are going to take a lot of hits straight to the face. When tanking even garbage mobs you will lean heavily on your cooldowns. I'm not going to say i use vampiric and dancing rune on cooldown but pretty close to it. so yes you will and you need to use your cooldowns a lot, its what makes red thirst almost a mandatory talent.

the other big thing is using the right ability when. so it comes down to HS vs MW vs DS. which should you spend your resources on? we aren't a dps spec, if you just smash buttons as soon as they are available you will likely become resource starved. So, do you have enough stacks of boneshield up? You have 7? okay don't cast it. Do you have enough runic power to cast death strike? no? cast heart strike. you have enough rp to cast death strike should you? is there enough missing health to be healed? is there a boss ability that needs to be mitigated? no? then conserve it. 

so blood is a lot about proper conserving and spending. its certainly trickier then it was, previously it was just smash death strike, profit. we are lower on the awesome tank list because of this and our damage output is lower. So, with practice you will eventually get used to it and have no problem, I was tanking mythic + 6s and heroic en last night with little trouble, its just about learning your spec

now the time to switch to warrior to me would be considerable, you need to level it, upgrade your artifact, etc. however, in comparison to blood dk (and i apologize to any warriors i may offend) tanking as warrior is much easier. Ignore pain is just incredibly powerful and is great mitigation as well as shield block plus you do considerable damage (As far as tanks go). Warrior tanks are consider along with prot pallies to be top tanks right now. I do find warrior to be much easier to play but for me I miss the utility. As blood you have a brez, you have gorefiends grasp and death grip (2 each if talented) you have an aoe fear, you can even talent into an ability that can bring you back from death (with help). 

So, warrior is easier (in my opinion, he wanted opinions people) to tank as. However, blood has great utility for both raiding and personal content. Even then once you understand blood you will find you rarely drop below 60% health. Its a very involved spec, but it is powerful in its own right, and it has far too many toys to play with for me to ever let it go :)

• Like 1

I agree with both posters.  Ive had the same experince as the OP and agree that RP conservation is now the rotation.  Case and point, last night i ripped a boss off of the MT who was 7+ ilvl above me simply by doing a rotation, but struggled to have enough RP at the end to keep health up at the end of Ursoc.

Im thinking of changing a few things.  Increase haste a little firstly, but talent wise, dropping Purgatory for Will if the Necropolis (i know i know, its "not viable" according to icey veins, but also picking up Blood Mirror as another defensive cooldown. 

Thank you for your insight. My warrior is already leveled and pretty well geared so that's a semi moot point on the leveling. I ran the warrior as a test for 1 pull against Normal Ursoc just to see difference.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TWng2JPzdM3vf9Vk#fight=2

DTPS

DK (846) - 285, 389

Warrior (824) -  168, 348 - 17% wipe

The information on having to basically constantly keep Vamp Blood(VB) up and pooling RP helps alot. I thought of VB as more *bigger* cd than that.

The overall fear I have is that the other tank being a DH puts us both running *reactive* tanks, hence the question about the warrior.

Thanks again.

16 hours ago, FrozenTurtle said:

Thank you for your insight. My warrior is already leveled and pretty well geared so that's a semi moot point on the leveling. I ran the warrior as a test for 1 pull against Normal Ursoc just to see difference.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/TWng2JPzdM3vf9Vk#fight=2

DTPS

DK (846) - 285, 389

Warrior (824) -  168, 348 - 17% wipe

The information on having to basically constantly keep Vamp Blood(VB) up and pooling RP helps alot. I thought of VB as more *bigger* cd than that.

The overall fear I have is that the other tank being a DH puts us both running *reactive* tanks, hence the question about the warrior.

Thanks again.

outside of mythic raiding tank comp shouldn't really matter all that much, even within mythic the tank comp usually simply favors dps for pushing phases and burning bosses. so two reactive tanks doesn't matter as long as you are both staying alive and doing your jobs. From there too I would just say run a couple pugs or dungeons with both classes and stick to the one you have more fun with. I've played unpopular or low performing specs many times and cleared highest end game content, ability and performance outweighs anything else. 

15 hours ago, FrozenTurtle said:

Thank you for your response and input.

yup, that's why we are here. Another thing you may consider is using one tank for one type of progression and the other for another. So, for mythic + dungeons, the utility of blood is super valuable. For raid progression the dps of warrior is valued. Each tank (mostly) as an area where it really shines and with mythic + being an alternate gearing route, you may find you like playing both under different circumstances.