FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Pawcakes

Confusion regarding Justicar's Vengeance

Greetings fellow Paladins!

I am doing okay on my Ret-paladin as is, but I am confused about how to correctly use Justicar's Vengeance (JV). From the guide, it is not recommended for raiding, and from what I gather, it seems only worth using in mythics if you combine it with Divine Purpose procs? Is this the correct assumption, or is it in some strange way used with Crusade as to dump more holy power, because you can generate more during that period of more haste?

Having trouble seeing the synergy and why that combo should ever be used. I have looked around different log-sites at top-parsing Ret pallys, and seeing a lot of different specs, some of them without JV, some of them with JV and Crusade, some with JV and Divine Purpose. Where do the people without Divine Purpose put Justicar's Vengeance in their rotation? Feel free to yell at me if I've missed something obvious regarding it's use.

Thanks.

Edited by Pawcakes

The issue with Justicar's Vengeance is that it hits only slightly harder than Templar's Verdict, and costs 5 holy power. In terms of damage per holy power spent, it's less efficient than just using Templar's Verdict. Divine Purpose gives you a free finisher, so it synergizes very will with that talent, but it wouldn't work very well with Crusade, simply because you can't take Divine Purpose and Crusade at the same time. Ideally, you should never be hitting Justicar's Vengeance outside of a Divine Purpose proc; it's simply not worth spending the holy power on.

Now, there's a lot of caveats here. We're talking 'ideal dps' but real-world situations... well Justicar's Vengeance also provides you with significant self-healing when used, and does double damage against stunned targets. You can burst out an insane amount, and under very precise circumstances, it can even be worth spending holy power on. But: Most raid mobs can't be stunned, you should not be taking so much damage as to need its healing in a raid, and for pure damage in those circumstances, Templar's Verdict is the proper finisher to use.

People put JV in their talent spec because that particular line doesn't really have any compelling options, and JV can still be used to solo.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but taking Justicar's Vengeance along with Fist of Justice is very nice for soloing, for trash, and for adds.  JV does double damage/healing on stun, and Fist of Justice reduces the cooldown on your stun.  Undead and demons also get stunned with Wake of Ashes, so when dealing with them you have a lot of stuns and thus alot of damage.  JV does 400-600k on my sorta geared ret, and if you crit, that's more than a million damage in one shot.  That, plus the healing, is more than enough reason to take it, in my opinion.  A lot of the trash mobs and boss adds are stunnable too, which makes JV very useful, in my humble opinion.

22 hours ago, Rurahk said:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else, but taking Justicar's Vengeance along with Fist of Justice is very nice for soloing, for trash, and for adds. 

This is a great point, haven't really thought of that.

Thanks for the replies!