FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Corazzin

Blood DK - Mythic+ Tanking Help

Hey,

I'm sitting at 851 iLvL with 13% Haste - 22% Crit - 40% Mastery - 3% Versatility and 21 Traits in my Wep.

I've been tanking mythic + levels 2 - 3 fairly easily without any problems however stepping into levels 4-5, even with all the different affix's I've been having real problems with mobs damage and dying. I seem to be hardly able to keep up stacks of Boneshield whilst also being Rune Starved -> Runic Power starved leading to many deaths even at level 4 in Mythic+. I'm having to pop nearly all CD's in succession to survive packs of around 4 mobs. 

Am I doing something wrong? Are my secondary stats way off, been trying to follow the stat priority on IcyVeins etc.

Any help / information would be great, can probably upload some logs if that would help too.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Corazzin said:

Hey,

I'm sitting at 851 iLvL with 13% Haste - 22% Crit - 40% Mastery - 3% Versatility and 21 Traits in my Wep.

I've been tanking mythic + levels 2 - 3 fairly easily without any problems however stepping into levels 4-5, even with all the different affix's I've been having real problems with mobs damage and dying. I seem to be hardly able to keep up stacks of Boneshield whilst also being Rune Starved -> Runic Power starved leading to many deaths even at level 4 in Mythic+. I'm having to pop nearly all CD's in succession to survive packs of around 4 mobs. 

Am I doing something wrong? Are my secondary stats way off, been trying to follow the stat priority on IcyVeins etc.

Any help / information would be great, can probably upload some logs if that would help too.

Thanks

Im the same gear level as you and did a mythic+4 without wipes.  But in mythic +, clearing trash efficientlt is the key.

Do you run with friends of the same classes regularly or pug?

Class makeup is important.  You need a mixture of kicks, interrupts, cc etc.

Also, some dungeons are a lot harder than others.

Id suggest Tremble Before Me. Absolutely. A fear in place stun that procs mob pacs quite a bit.  It is good for interupting trash cast bars even if they break the stun instantly.

lastly, your mastery is too high, imo.  If you can somehow transfer 10% from mastery to haste it will help with regen. The blood shield is too weak to stack.

@ilvl 851, your health should be about 3.5million. Making you DS heal for 350,000.  The difference btw 40% and 30% mastery is about 35k physical absorbed. (105k verse 140). But if you are rune starved, it means no hearts, meaning no DS's. Being able to cast one DS in the same time as it takes you to spam 10, right now, outheals that mastery loss.

Yo

Havent run a +4 +5 with my friends as of yet, so that could be a reason, obviously communication with interrupts / cc would make it a lot easier.

The 2 I've tried were Vault of Wardens / Darkheart, I know the first packs of both can be pretty hard. 

I'll try out that new talent, might be better for Mythic +, so yeah thanks I'll give that a go.

@ 851 ilvl my health is 3.1mil, so I seem to be about 400k off which is weird, seems like a considerable amount.

1 hour ago, Corazzin said:

Yo

Havent run a +4 +5 with my friends as of yet, so that could be a reason, obviously communication with interrupts / cc would make it a lot easier.

The 2 I've tried were Vault of Wardens / Darkheart, I know the first packs of both can be pretty hard. 

I'll try out that new talent, might be better for Mythic +, so yeah thanks I'll give that a go.

@ 851 ilvl my health is 3.1mil, so I seem to be about 400k off which is weird, seems like a considerable amount.

I said 3.5 assuming some stacks of bone shield. No biggie.

follow the icy talent guides here to the tee. they are good (minus purgatory, take blood mirror instead). For higher end tanking the really short answer is you need to git gud ie you need practice and smart decision making. As a blood dk you need to use your cooldowns a lot, almost almost on cooldown, this is fine because we have talents specifically to recharge them, so no issue there. As far as rotation you don't necessarily want to be smacking buttons as soon as they are available, patience goes a long way. So, always maintain a lot of boneshield charges but once up use dnd to cleave with heartstrike for huge rp regen to fuel death strikes to heal yourself. Tremble before me can grant you a lot of breathing room. Blood dk has limited resources so its about using the right one at the right time. 

• Like 2