FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ackes

Critical Strike Diminishing Returns

As we've started getting better gear through Mythic+ and Raiding, I've started to get a pretty good pool of stats. Depending on which cloak/neck I'm wearing, I have ~45% crit, ~9% haste, 14% mastery, and 10% Vers. 

At what point does critical strike hit its Diminishing Returns level, and versatility starts becoming weighted higher? I've been trying to see if theres been anything posted on it, but searching google for about an hour or so has resulted in a few forum posts talking about it, but never stating numbers. It seems FatbossTV did a video over it as well, but there was only mention about it, and no actual link. 

Anyone happen to know or know someone who does?

Edited by Ackes
  • Like 1

There is no absolute point where crit has diminishing returns, that is going to depend on gear and talents.  So, there is no absolute point.

But, when you look at what crit does, there is a general area, where you know it's value is going to diminish vs other attributes such as versatility or even haste.

Why?  What does crit doe for Havoc?  Well, it adds more damage.  Even more importantly, it refunds fury for more chaos strikes/annihilates during momentum.  But, when you hit a certain point, say 45% crit, you are going to hit that in that window of momentum darned near as nearly as often as if you had 55% crit.

At that point, other things are going to make a bigger difference.  More damage per hit or more hits.

5 hours ago, Zilthy said:

There is no absolute point where crit has diminishing returns, that is going to depend on gear and talents.  So, there is no absolute point.

But, when you look at what crit does, there is a general area, where you know it's value is going to diminish vs other attributes such as versatility or even haste.

Why?  What does crit doe for Havoc?  Well, it adds more damage.  Even more importantly, it refunds fury for more chaos strikes/annihilates during momentum.  But, when you hit a certain point, say 45% crit, you are going to hit that in that window of momentum darned near as nearly as often as if you had 55% crit.

At that point, other things are going to make a bigger difference.  More damage per hit or more hits.

Actually, there are Crit Diminshing returns where it takes lots more crit to gain a % value, and its been that way since maybe Vanilla or BC, thus you hit a crit break point.

So regardless of how much crit you have, there is a point where the other stats will start giving more to you rather than dumping it all in crit because of this. What that break point is though, is what I was trying to find out, since no one seems to know.

Edited by Ackes