Calcifer

Fire mage dps trouble

Sign in to follow this  

3 posts in this topic

So I recently picked up a fire mage for the first time ever, I've been playing wow on and off for around 7 years but never picked up a mage till now.

Anyway, I have been wondering of my rotation outside of Combustion? I have read the guide supplied here and tried to follow it as best as I can, the main scenario I have is.

Whenever I am casting fireballs I wait till I have a heating up proc, as I've precasted my next fireball I get heating up, halfway through the fireball cast, I cast the fireblast converting my heating up to a hot streak. I then end the fireball cast with an instant pyroblast. Sometimes this results in another hot streak due to both critting, sometimes its a heating up proc and sometimes neither crit and I'm left starting over. I then usually tend to find myself running out of fireblasts fairly quickly and having to cast fireballs until they return off cooldown.

I always cast a fireball before I cast my instant pyroblast to try pyroblast fish but this doesnt always result in a crit.

I was wondering by casting the fireblast mid channel of my fireball then finishing my fireball cast with an instant pyroblast is this the most efficent way to be using my spells?

I've tried a few other ways of casting such as casting fireball under a heating up then fireblast during the channel, then cast another fireball and end with an instant pyroblast to smooth out my rotation but im not sure which one is the better method or they are both wrong?

I am 838 ilvl and can hold around 140-160k dps on bosses after my initial burst, my weapon is only 814 ilvl as im not finished my order hall and i have 42% crit. My stats arnt great but I was wondering is my weapon holding me back hugely and once I upgrade it will all my problems be solved?

Sorry for essay, but I wanted to be clear on my question and get a clear response.

I liked the essay, it shows that you care about your Mage and your performance ^^

The rotation you describe in the first part of your post is fine. Just keep pyro fishing, especially when you have Pyretic Incantation up. Use your Fire Blast (or even Phoenix Flames) stacks wisely so you have as many of them up as possible when Combustion is up. Don't forget to use RoP!

You shouldn't worry too much, though. It just sounds like a gear issue. That third relic slot is going to help a lot and then you need to just keep working on getting more Crit on your gear.

As far as it looks, you're doing fine.  What you're doing is pyro fishing, which is what you are supposed to do.  Cast to a heating up proc, FB and pyro at the end of a fireball to hopefully proc another pyro or heating up.

Just make sure you are taking care with your burn phase.  Like Zadina said, you need to ensure you have at least 2 PF and 2 FB, along with Flame on before you go into your ROP+Combustion burn.  Get an instant pyro ready to cast, ROP+Combustion and let it fly as soon as you hit Combustion.  FB or PF and Flame on and keep the instant crits going.