FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
NerfGrowl

Blink Strikes viability with high mastery

Hey guys-  first time post, long time lurker.

So I am sitting at about 89-92% mastery on my BM hunter and I was thinking that since the mastery trait increases my pet dmg by 89-92% and blink strikes would increase the base pet dmg by 50% that this would be an overall increase in Mythic+/Raiding.  I also should say that I have 2 relic artifacts that increase my bestial wrath by 10% so by going with the Bestial Fury talent I have 50% increased dmg.  Just curious what you min/maxxers think. 

-NerfGrowl

3 minutes ago, Orthios said:

Blink Strikes increases your pets Basic Attacks damage, not all of its damage.

So Mastery does not factor into the basic attacks? 

Mastery effects all pet damage, Blink Strikes only effects pet Basic Attack damage.  

I am in the same situation as you.  852 BM hunter w/ super high mastery.  I have 2 OLD artifact slots dedicated to kill command, because no high end-game ones have been available/dropped for me.  I took the left path on the artifact tree and am one AotC trait upgrade until I can actually get the kill command ability upgrades on the tree. I have not actually logged it (so take it for what it's worth) but I use Blink Strikes almost exclusively for the extra dot.  I raid with it most of the time, and I really like the mobility for Mythic+ dungeons.  I am pulling high damage with it, and I hate waiting for my pet to schlep from one target to another with KC off cooldown.  So, mathematically, I like Blink Strikes. 

My question is this:  Im 852 ilvl running those two artifact slots for KC at 805 and 820.  Does that matter?  I have multiple 850 artifact upgrades just sitting in my bags.  I could jump up some ilvls, but is the ilvl worth dropping those abilities that are so important to the spec?  It's going to be awhile until I can get all three upgrades as the cost is approaching 70k resources for 1 trait upgrade.

Does ilvl by itself (with no upgraded stats as it is with the artifact abilities) improve dps?     I would really like to know this. 

1 hour ago, Orthios said:

Mastery effects all pet damage, Blink Strikes only effects pet Basic Attack damage.  

Right so in essence, would the overall damage be better with blink strikes because the 50% increase in basic +89-90% overall dmg increase? It may provide a larger overal dps gain for Single and Multi target.

You're either overvaluing/overestimating how much of your damage is from pet Basic Attacks, or don't know what that means.  Your pet's Basic Attack is Bite/Claw/Smack, auto attack and kill command are not included.  So, the bonus from Blink Strikes is not a whole lot overall vs Bestial Fury which increases the damage bonus from Bestial Wrath, which is a separate multiplier to all of your damage and all of your pets damage.

Just now, Orthios said:

You're either overvaluing/overestimating how much of your damage is from pet Basic Attacks, or don't know what that means.  Your pet's Basic Attack is Bite/Claw/Smack, auto attack and kill command are not included.  So, the bonus from Blink Strikes is not a whole lot overall vs Bestial Fury which increases the damage bonus from Bestial Wrath, which is a separate multiplier to all of your damage and all of your pets damage.

Cool man! I was just curious, because when I broke that 90% mastery, it made me think about the ability to min max it. I'm going to test it out a bit and see what happens, but in the end I will probably stick with Beastial Fury since my relic are buffs directly to it.