FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
elcharrua

Tortos Help for Warrior Tank

Hi guys,

I have question about tanking tortos, i have read guide saying that Snapping bite is physical damage, but when i pug for a group they tell me to use Shield Barrier, instead of shield block. I tried using Shield barrier but the thing is that sometimes before snapping bite he stomps so the shield barrier loses power and then snapping bite hits like a truck due to the low amount absorbed. If anyone has tanked tortos and has any tips on which mitigation skills is best i would appreciated. Here is a link to my armory in case you need to see the talents.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Similey/advanced

Thanks

Snapping Bite is definitely physical damage, but for whatever reason it is not bloackable. Shield Barrier is definitely your go-to choice for tanking that encounter. Make sure to have 60 rage as the timer gets close and keep an eye on his cast bar! Use your shield barrier during the snapping bite cast and you'll have no problem with Stomps or melees taking away your barrier. Have fun!

As a side note, I have a continuing crusade about parry gems. Where you would gem parry, instead gem strength. Strength gives nearly 1:1 parry rating and also gives you attack power. Through your Battle Shout, you'll get 10% of that attack power benefiting your shield barriers. Sure, it is very small, but having a gem that helps your survivability in two ways and helps your DPS is better than a gem that helps you in only one way. A second note, your gemming is fairly consistent, but not totally so. I'm seeing primarily stam gems, but a few mastery gems. Why not go full stam if you're in need of EH? If you're not in need of EH, why gem stam?

As for your enchants, most look good, but consider dancing steel for your weapon for the reasons stated above.

[21:16:47.962] Tortos Snapping Bite Tengenstein 76371 (A: 144437, B: 94632)

[21:16:55.172] Tortos Snapping Bite Tengenstein 218571 (B: 93673)

[21:18:54.725] Tortos Snapping Bite Tengenstein 149957 (A: 96725, B: 105721)

[21:19:24.987] Tortos Snapping Bite Tengenstein 195129 (B: 83627)

[21:19:45.569] Tortos Snapping Bite Tengenstein 253498 (B: 108642)

[21:20:15.406] Tortos Snapping Bite Tengenstein 85148 (A: 139420, B: 96244)

Kinda is Blockable

as to which is best; why not both?

Edited by Tengenstein

I just looked at the logs from our last tortos kill and Snapping bite can definitely be blocked, dodged and parried.

I vaguely remember that I wasn't possible at the start of the tier (but I might be wrong...)

And on your last tortos kill Esta, you dodged Snapping Bite 5 times, parried it 15 times and blocked it once :)

How very odd. I'm seeing that my tracking addons have some very interesting limitations. I've tried half a dozen or so and each one has shown that if an attack is absorbed, it is not blocked. I'm actually quite relieved to find out that I'm wrong. It is interesting that so many addons are only capable of showing one event per attack, but if I ever blocked even a single snapping bite on Tortos, then I was able to both absorb and block.

World of Logs.

Snapping Bite works just like a melee attack and is subject to all the effects that entails, avoidance, blocks, absorbs armour. Same for Talon Rake. every other tank debuff thing has wierdness.

Snapping Bite is definitely block-able, and you should try to time Shield Block just before Tortos begins casting Snapping Bite. You may want to use a Shield Barrier before the Quake Stomp if you're below 75% HP or if you don't have any absorb effects on you from another raid member.

If you aggro the bats, you should pop a cooldown. If you can afford to spend the rage, you should use Piercing Howl to slow the Turtles as they zoom past you.