FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
wsaedmd

Most reliable spec in the long run

Hello everyone! I wanted to ask you guys the same question I asked on the rogue forums some time ago: if you were to roll a warlock as of today, with the intent of being competitive, what spec would you take as your main? Considering the latest balances and the content we're moving towards. I know that switching between destro and demo can be necessary depending on the encounter, but I was wondering if you could still suggest me a "main spec" moving forward. Thank you!

Depends what end game you plan on doing the most of, if you want to raid then the answer IMO is Demo main.

Demo is by far the strongest ST spec for lock and with Implosion Demo's AoE is very strong as long as things stack. The major downside to Demo is that it requires ramp up time for both ST and AoE while the cleave isn't amazing. Destro fills in these weaknesses with amazing cleave and zero ramp up.

My other reason for Demo as a main is the artifact traits - Demo needs 16 traits to be solid and with 20 you've gotten about 90% of the total power out of the traits. The only thing left is that gives a DPS gain is the 3rd gold trait, 15% Hand of Gul'dan damage, and 15% crit for your Dreadstalkers. These are gains but they aren't amazing or critical.

Destro on the other hand has major DPS gains all the way till trait 27  - a MASSIVE investment of AP and time is required to really maximize your destro weapon. The real problem with Destro traits though is that at 16 traits you have the majory biggies, 2 golds and solid DPS gain trats. But trait #17, 18, 19, and 20 are kind of crap. 15% damage on RoF and 30s off the CD of UR. 4 traits is a good bit of AP and game play to get almost nothing in return.

That all said, if you plan on doing most of your end game through Mythic+ then Destro is your main spec. Although Demo does well in Mythic+, it does require the tank pull things in X manner and the packs live long enough for you to get your ramp up. Since this is unreliable at best, destro really takes off shining.

• Like 1

I absolutely mean raid progression when I talk about being competitive and about content, so I think demo is the way to go. Thank you very much for your advice!

I'm going to be awkward and say Destro as I find it more versatile. Yes, it's single target damage is rather poor but as far as I am aware there is only one single target fight in EN (mythic) and you only need say 16-20 points in Demo to more than cover that base.  

Be aware though that I haven't really looked into mythic fights and perhaps things change. 

Edited by spikeysquad