FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Linkage

Fire Mage Secondary Stats, What are the Good For?

So I'm getting the run around from multiple blogs, guides, videos, in game chat, ect..

After Crit and Int, what should the typical Mythic/Raider Fire Mage be stacking?

I've seen haste, versatility, and mastery all being mentions #3

Ask Mr Robot says  Versatility > Haste > Mastery 

Noxxic says Haste > Mastery >= Versatility

IcyVeins agrees with Ask Mr. Robot (based off of there stat wieghts), but still recommends stacking Mastery after Crit

I have a bank full of gear that I'd just love to get some enchanting mats out of.

Noxxic is toxic and you seriously shouldn't bother even messing with it.  It has bad information all around.

The problem with secondary stats is while Mastery is low on the stat priority, if you have more than 2 targets that number gets boosted substantially.  So any time you have any amount of cleave, any time there is more than 2 targets up, Mastery will come after Crit.

After that, on purely single targets, I would argue that Haste would be better than Vers.  Vers may impact direct damage done, but Haste allows you to cast more fireballs to get more procs faster/more often.  Consider that.

Just keep in mind.  INT > CRIT.  After that if there are 2 targets Master > Haste > Vers.  Or Master > Vers > Haste whichever you like more.  Haste/Vers are neck and neck, Versatility: 0.84 Haste: 0.81.

INT is a primary stat, Crit is a secondary stat.  Don't read into it like you are.  You're talking secondary stats, secondary stats are the stats that aren't primary on the piece.  Primary stats: STR, INT, AGI, etc.

You want to stack crit.  But I wouldn't give up a ton of int for only a handful of crit.

On 22.10.2016 at 1:02 AM, Thazi said:

INT is a primary stat, Crit is a secondary stat.  Don't read into it like you are.  You're talking secondary stats, secondary stats are the stats that aren't primary on the piece.  Primary stats: STR, INT, AGI, etc.

You want to stack crit.  But I wouldn't give up a ton of int for only a handful of crit.

As Crit > Int (with weight 1.3 vs 1.0) i would go for it this way. Ofcourse it makes no sense to "give up a ton of int" for "only a handful of crit". But a ton of int for a ton of crit - and a handful of int for a handful of crit. So saying "Int > Crit" is just wrong, sorry.

Im going myself for "Int > Crit" after reaching 60% Crit. Comparing it with weights 1.0 vs 1.0. Might be wrong to do so, but i'm feeling like im missing some base damage i gain from int if i dont do so.

hopefully ppl understand what i mean

38 minutes ago, eXQQ2 said:

As Crit > Int (with weight 1.3 vs 1.0) i would go for it this way. Ofcourse it makes no sense to "give up a ton of int" for "only a handful of crit". But a ton of int for a ton of crit - and a handful of int for a handful of crit. So saying "Int > Crit" is just wrong, sorry.

Im going myself for "Int > Crit" after reaching 60% Crit. Comparing it with weights 1.0 vs 1.0. Might be wrong to do so, but i'm feeling like im missing some base damage i gain from int if i dont do so.

hopefully ppl understand what i mean

With 7.1 rolling out in a few hours, you're going to be seeing a lot of new gear.  This new gear, with higher ilvls will give a lot more int and not a lot more of the secondary stats.

It doesn't matter how much crit you have if your base damage is shit because you are lacking 2,000 int.  I was at 59% crit and decided to drop down to 56% to gain roughly 1200 int.  If you, for example, have 2 pieces based on ilvl that give you 900 int, with 300 crit and one that gives 500 int and 600 crit, you'd lose 400 int to gain 300 crit.  Is it worth it?  Depends on your current stats.

Your primary stat is INT.  Period.  You can't do damage without it.  It has a slightly lower stat weight, yet it is higher on the list.  Why is that?

I said this once, I'll say it again, you can have 1000% crit and 0 int and you'd do no damage. 

Is crit what we need to stack?  Yes.  Should you focus on getting as much crit as possible?  Yes.  Just keep an eye on your int.  Don't go dropping 300+ int to gain a measly 150~ crit, that 150 crit, at the 55% range will barely push you over to 56%. 

This thread is talking about secondary stats.  What are primary stats, and what are secondary stats? 

To be quite honest, when you're looking at gear you aren't looking at "Does it have INT?!??"  Every piece has int on it.  You're looking at how much you gain or lose in comparison to how much of crit is int he secondary stats.

There is all sorts of theory crafting on mages at altered-time.com

But I found some info on fire mage sims there for you.  There is a haste breakpoint at 1300 haste, at which point the increase in damage sort of tapered off from there. Mastery, like Thazi had mentioned, is going to further increase in value the more targets you get (I believe the guide says that it outweighs crit at 4 targets, don't remember though). So I would aim for that breakpoint as sort of a rough starting point, and mastery the rest of the way.  As you're getting your item level up and replacing pieces, you aren't going to be able to refine the secondary stats as much until you get stabilized and can farm those pieces for stat upgrades.

When it comes to the crit>int thing.  Yes, intellect is your primary stat.  The reason crit is valued so highly is that, outside of combustion, crit is your only way to get consistent instant-cast pyroblasts.  When upgrading my pieces, I will change a crit major piece out for a crit minor piece 15 item levels higher.  For a non crit piece, 30 item levels higher. (I think I read this in the altered-time fire guide)  Once you reach the higher gear levels, there's quite a few decent pieces for fire mages so you won't have to make such a drastic trade-off on item levels.

Woofrik-thescryers