FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gsus

[Resto] Help with healing

Hello everyone.

My healing is very low compared to my three guildmates (druid, priest and paladin).

I was wondering, if you guys could take a look at my character, and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting sick and tired of being treated as a nub in my guild, when I know how awesome my class is :P

Armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darksorrow/Stifflér/simple

Link from Warcraft Logs from last fight: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Q9tjFfTbPykWLdah/#fight=6

Armory links for the three healers in my raid:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darksorrow/Nitler/simple

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darksorrow/Zusna/simple

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/darksorrow/Hárd/simple

Compared to the others, my itemlevel is kinda low. I'm only on 858 and I don't have a legendary yet.

I think I've set up my talents correctly for raiding; aoe healing with a bonus to Chain Heal and a cooldown (Ancestral Healing).

Please help out, guys. I really don't like underperforming like this.

Regards, Stifflér

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Let's go through your stuff:

1. Artifact.

In the logs you provided, you have only 20 traits and one Gold opened - it's is really low for now (for example I have 27 traits and the lowest our raiders have is 24) . Don't take me wrong, if you are a casual player you shouldn't be forced into AP farm but you asked why your performance is low and this is one of the reasons. 

Now, I'm not sure why did you take Ghost in the Mist that doesn't increase your performance in any way instead of continuing to Empowered Droplets and Tidal Pools (second Gold)?

2. Gear.

I'm not very fond of the trinkets you are using. The Senses has a good proc but Versatility :-/.... The Cocoon - I would never use it (and I don't having it 880 ilvl) above almost any other trinket because it doesn't have any secondary stat. Resto shamans are never low on mana when playing right so this trinket's proc is the most useless to us.

3. The talents.

Cenarius fight is CBT, not EotE. CBT on this fight does not less than 10% of overall healing and definitely worth taking.

Actually I checked your other logs - looks like you always use EotE while for better performance you should always use CBT except maybe for Elerethe, Well, let's say on Dragons Indulation would be better than Torrent and on Ursoc (Mythic, not sure it worth to change on HC) Unleash Life paired with CH would be better than Torrent.

4. Casts.

Your HST and GotQ amount of casts is not always the best possible.

Elerethe 5:11 fight: 7 HST from 11 possible and 2 GotQ from 6 possible

Cenarius 5:11 fight: 6 HST from 11 possible

You cast only one HTT and one AG on Cenarius while it could be easily 2 and 2 in a 5 min fight. And it's even worse on Elerethe - you didn't cast AG at all and only one HTT.

Now, I see you cast a lot of Healing Surges - you shouldn't. You are playing with High Tides but the amount of HS casts most of time is higher than CH amount. You burn mana while not utilizing the talent. If there are 3 or more injured people, use CH, if an injured person is not in an immediate danger of dying (20%HP or lower), use HW - with all the cast speed buffs it has the same or even lower cast time as HS and costs literally no mana.

TL;DR:

- Try to get more traits to your Artifact, go through Empowered Droplets and Tidal Pools.

- Use CBT for most of fights, not EotE

- Track your HST, GotQ, AG and HTT casts - all of them should be cast on CD most of time

- Reduce your HS casts switching to HW+CH

- I would try and change the Cocoon trinket.

You can't blindly take the trinkets from a list. You have to see if it is a good fit for your content and playstyle. 

I believe the guide creator meant for this trinket to be used for mythic content and not heroic content. Even in mythic content, I would argue that the mana regen isn't exactly favourable compared to other better trinkets out there. 

The reason why you are running low on mana is due to poor mana management. You are using the very expensive healing surge way too often, and you are not utilising your cooldowns effectively (so you have to spot heal people and waste mana). Pandacho is giving great advice here.  Once you correct these issues, you will realise that you don't actually need the trinket proc at all.

I wouldn't call the Cocoon trinket our best in any situation. 

Its Int amount is not that overwhelming, and the trinket doesn't have any secondaries. Using it instead of any other trinket pretty much forces you to drop around 1000 of a secondary stat in exchange for what - 10 sec of no healing while gaining amount of mana compared to a regular mana potion?

I used 880 Cocoon on our first Ursoc Mythic kill as a last resort for a mana backup but now knowing exactly how I manage the fight - no, I'm not using it.

I really can't imaging it being better in any of Normal or Heroic fights. Our secondary stats in Legion are too close to Intellect in their weight, nothing like in WoD when Int was x2 better so dropping 800-1200 of a secondary to gain 400 Int not worth in my opinion. 

And if it's needed for mana regen, as a resto shaman we'd rather check the spell usage.

• Like 1

Pandacho you seem super knowledgeable on resto shams.  Im curious to see your armory to get a sense of your talents and gear.  I'm currently doing pretty well in heroic/mythic raids and having a harder time in Mythic +8. My character is Akinos on Stormreaver.   I've recently been debating CBT and EotE, AG vs Deluge as well as Torrent vs UL and UD.   Any chance i can try to pick your brain for some resto sham questions as i find good resources for this kind of info. very limited these days.

7 hours ago, comicster said:

Pandacho you seem super knowledgeable on resto shams.  Im curious to see your armory to get a sense of your talents and gear.  I'm currently doing pretty well in heroic/mythic raids and having a harder time in Mythic +8. My character is Akinos on Stormreaver.   I've recently been debating CBT and EotE, AG vs Deluge as well as Torrent vs UL and UD.   Any chance i can try to pick your brain for some resto sham questions as i find good resources for this kind of info. very limited these days.

This is my Armory, but don't look at my talents because I change them a lot depending on content (different bosses in raid, daily HC, low Mythic+, high Mythic+)