FORUMS
Thazi

Icy Veins Forums Slow Lately?

On 10/24/2016 at 10:40 PM, Thazi said:

This entire past week the forums here have been loading extremely slow.  You guys having data center issues?

There have been issues popping up from previously, but Damien has been working hard to rectify them ASAP. Locating the problem was the hardest thing!

20 hours ago, Blainie said:

Locating the problem was the hardest thing!

Was it in the fridge?

On a serious note, the forums run fine now, at least when I visit them. Lovely.

4 hours ago, positiv2 said:

Was it in the fridge?

Left it in the microwave actually! Finally understand why there was that weird beeping noise!

Unfortunately not having as much luck here, tried posting a few times today and one just now and been failing with not being able to reach the Icy Veins site at all sometimes but after a minute it pops back up.

Site seems to be jumping up and down these past few days.

1 hour ago, Arkpit said:

Unfortunately not having as much luck here, tried posting a few times today and one just now and been failing with not being able to reach the Icy Veins site at all sometimes but after a minute it pops back up.

Site seems to be jumping up and down these past few days.

There's constant tuning being done by Damien to try ensure that we're always on top of any issues that occur, so it might be that you're getting caught at unlucky times :/

I can only really say that I'm sorry! Both he and our team are working hard to identify exactly when it occurs and how best to fix it, but I really can't give a 100% ETA on when everything will work as normal.

I just wanted to add to my above statement: if you guys do experience problems, please let us know. Any information you have is always useful, whether it is times, what forum you were browsing, what happened etc.

We want to get it fixed with a solid long-term solution and identifying all the issues can only be done faster with as much help as possible! 

I very much empathize and understand as I work in IT myself so troubleshooting unknown issues are very time-consuming so best of luck :)

• Like 1

On 10/27/2016 at 9:44 PM, Arkpit said:

I very much empathize and understand as I work in IT myself so troubleshooting unknown issues are very time-consuming so best of luck :)

It's always so frustrating when you think you've found the issue and then, nope!

I think it's all solved now. I switched to a new server for the forums in September and move away from SSD disk, back to HDD (I needed storage page for server logs to comply with French regulations). I thought having enough RAM to easily fit the entire DB in memory would mean I'd be fine, but I guess I was wrong. So I've switched back to a server with SSD disks (and some extra HDDs for the server logs). It's been a lot faster. I think that writing the database binary log on the HDD was just killing performance (and maybe I didn't have the right settings for it either).

On our end, the forums seem much faster than they ever were. If you keep having any problems, please just leave a comment here and we'll look into it :)