FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ulathar

General trinket Questions:

Hi guys,

i am some what lost in the question of "which trinket is better" for dks (blood, frost, unholy).

I know our stat priorities for each spec and by that Strength is the most important stat.
But this does not seem to be the case when it comes to the trinket question leaving me with a bunch of trinkets in the stash and i don't know which would be "better". Especially when the trinkets have proc  effects.

Maybe someone can enligthen me :).

Example from a Frost point of view (assuming same itemlevel on all trinkets):

Trinket 1:
Hunger of the Pack: 1k+ Strength and Crit plus the Movementspeed proc on kill

Trinket 2:
Heart of Forest: 1k+ Strength and Haste plus gem socket

Trinket 3:
Counterwight: 1k+ Haste and the direct dmg and +15% dmg proc

Obviously i would loose over 1k Strength when i swap out Trinket 1 or 2 for Trinket 3. I have absolutely no clue how Strong those "procs" are compared to flat Strength values. Same goes with other trinkets (and other specs).

Any tips? :)

€dit:
My current Stats (with trinket 1 and 2 equipped) are:
Strength: 25.050
Crit: 22.58 %
Haste: 24.49 %
Mastery: 34.66 %

Maining Frost, offspec is Blood.

Edited by Ulathar

On 10/26/2016 at 2:59 AM, Ulathar said:

Hi guys,

i am some what lost in the question of "which trinket is better" for dks (blood, frost, unholy).

I know our stat priorities for each spec and by that Strength is the most important stat.
But this does not seem to be the case when it comes to the trinket question leaving me with a bunch of trinkets in the stash and i don't know which would be "better". Especially when the trinkets have proc  effects.

Trinket 1:

Trinket 2:

Trinket 3:

Obviously i would loose over 1k Strength when i swap out Trinket 1 or 2 for Trinket 3. I have absolutely no clue how Strong those "procs" are compared to flat Strength values. Same goes with other trinkets (and other specs).

€dit:

Generally for trinkets , value of secondaries/procs increase .

It would help to know what content you're focusing on. Flat stat sticks give more benefit in general, but some procs or on-use gear may give overall greater benefit cause its an on-demand boost which you can line up with cooldowns/last.

With specific reference to your trinkets above: the proc on hunger is virtually useless in raid content, may be different in mythic+ where things die more frequently. You'll have to check the individual stat weights out , but I like spiked counterweight, personally - I like it enough that I used to run an 840 version on my blood dk until I got a phantasmal echoes from DoN. 

Edited by Aegis

On 10/25/2016 at 1:59 PM, Ulathar said:

Hi guys,

Trinket 1:

Trinket 2:

Trinket 3:

€dit:

While i am not 100% sure for frost i do not play it that much just judging by how most melee trinkets this xpac and shown to be I would say to say trinkets 1 and 2 are by far better counterweight from what i know is honestly horrible.

On 10/25/2016 at 2:59 PM, Ulathar said:

Hi guys,

Trinket 1:

Trinket 2:

Trinket 3:

€dit:

for frost. counterweights damage increase is actually really really valuable. So you'd want to hold onto that one. Of the other two in general the crit of the hunger of the pack will do you good. Haste has some brutal breakpoints. So at 24.49% you wouldn't see as much legroom from it. 

For blood......its a hot mess XD it really is dependent on a lot of things, your stats are fine for blood. In that case i'd swap the counterweight for the heart of the forest, since the extra haste will help.

The issue with trinkets this expac is they do all sorts of crazy stuff, so in general to be 100 percent accurate you need to self sim, but there are some general guidelines here and there :)

On 10/25/2016 at 2:59 PM, Ulathar said:

Hi guys,

Trinket 1:

Trinket 2:

Trinket 3:

€dit:

I can comment on Blood.

It depends. Just kidding. Lol

but yeah, it kinda does.

like demon said, what you're facing matters, especially for blood.

for example, i have 3 different gear setups. WQ/heroic dungeons; mythic/m plus; raids.

Your trinkets are a pretty fast and simple way to drop survival stuff for dpsy stuff.

Mastery is pure survival.

Crit/haste/vers is survival/dps mix. 

Strength is pure dps (except for leach if you wanna get technical).

next, look at procs. Ask yourself, "hey is this proc dps or survival?"

Finally, sort your trinkets.

For easy stuff you'll want to use dps/dps mix trinkets

For tough tanking, dps mix/ survival ones.

Focus is clearly on Frost for mythic+ (doing +6 und +7 regularly) and EN Normal & HC. No mythic raiding at the moment. Blood is just my offspec in case my groups tank is not available :).

Cleared karazhan yesterday and finally got my first legendary (the frost bracers :) ) after almost 2500 worldquests and hundrets of instances without any "luck".

GS is now at 864 with almost identical crit/haste/mastery distribution as stated in my initial post. 0% versatility. Was using the "Pack" trinket mostly because of the runspeed buff for mythic+ because - we all kow that - dks reach the party when its already over....

So i guess in terms of pure dps i will have to do some dummytesting whether the +15% dmg proc on counterweight is worth it or not. Thx guys.