FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hiho

Ret Pally DPS Help, Please

Greetings,

I feel like my dps is low, when compared to all other members in my raid, especially the other ret pally(Myroruk) in my guild\raid, who seems to consistently do so much more dps than me.

I usually try to start my initial rotation  with  
initially: wake of ashes, judgment,  crusade, templars verdict, crusaders strike, blade of justice
( i essentially alternate to build up 3 hp to spend as soon as possible while crusade is active )
the rest of the time: build up 4 or 5 hp, then judgement, then spend and build quickly as well until another crusade.

Me and the other ret pally have similar gear( i think ), so it feels frustrating that he and i would so often be at different places regarding dps.  Also, simulations seem to indicate that i should be doing around 250k ish dps, not my current averages. Am i doing stuff wrong? Is it just the gear\stats? I cant tell if I am doing OK or not, and really hate to waste the raids time of I am not.

My toon's(Hiho) Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/executus/Hiho/simple
Myroruk Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Myroruk/simple

Warcraftlog, EN 7/7 N 1/7 H:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qTArgNLkpJ4mWBwH/#boss=-3

All help\suggestions\observations\criticisms are appreciated, and thank you for your time.

Hi there Hiho.

My advice to would be to get Faulty Countermeasure from Vault of The Wardens. This trinket is a must have for any Ret paladin at this moment. Personally i'm using a 845 over any other Emerald Nightmare trinkets from HC and Mythic. (I ran 34 Vault runs before getting the trinket, it is that important). Even just the heroic version is worth it!

While doing Vault runs you should look to improve on your stats.
1 - Get rid of your mastery as much as possible. It is simply not worth it at all.
2 - Getting down from your 23.99% haste to about 20 - Change your ring enchants perhabs? 325 Crit is about 1%
3 - Putting all your mastery and excess haste intro Crit/versa.

You will perhabs also want another secondary trinket.
Trinkets like:
Memento of Angerbody
Darkmoon Cards (if you can afford them)
Chaos Talisman
Hunger of the Pack.

If you do these things. I can guarentee you a dps increase.

couple of things I noticed that will help you reach that next level of DPS.

1- missing necklace enchant, this is a quick fix that can be done usually easily (sometimes expensive) by someone in your guild, Mark of the hidden Satyr is a solid 3-5% dps increase over no enchant at all for Ret.

2. your trinkets while decent Item level are lacking any proc. Faulty countermeasure from Vault of wardens or horn of Valor from Halls of Valor are good click trinkets that line up nicely with your avenging wrath/ crusade CD that will really help those burst phases. other trinkets to look for are the crit darkmoon deck, or the memento of angerboda from Maw of Souls. adding any of those should boost you another solid 3-5% over normal stat-stick trinkets.

3. your haste is a bit above the 'normal' break point for ret which is 20-22% getting one of the trinkets above should bring you in line with this however. if not look to trade a small amount of haste for some more crit on your gear.

4. What relics are you using? Icy veins has a great list of what relics you want to have in terms of what passive they buff. remember Item level is better than passive buff in this regard, but its good to keep an eye open for an upgrade that may be even Item level.

5. from a non gear standpoint the only question I have is about your rotation building up to crusade/ avenging wrath. are you pooling 5 Holy Power and making sure wake of ashes is ready to go before popping wings? if not getting that free 10 holy power spent right at the get-go can be a make or break point for your burst which can really negatively impact your overall dps. It is huge to use Wake of ashes DURING Crusade to help ramp up your damage/ attack speed buff.

example. (at 5 holy power with wake of ashes off CD), pop wings, judgement, Templars verdict, Crusader strike, Templars verdict, Wake of ashes, Templars verdict, Crusader strike, Templars verdict. then build and spend holy power as fast as possible. 

lastly remember your friend has a legendary ring which is a HUGE difference. so don't get too bummed out if you cant make his dps level even making some changes. Sadly this is just one of those things that you have to wait and pray to RnGesus for.

hope this helps, let me know the results :)

Edited by Almaron
spell check
  • Like 1

Hey, 

I got some questions too...

1. WHY 20-22% haste cap? At the start of legion everyone said "30% haste cap" and now 20, why?

2. I got about 30,5% haste and I still have the feeling it's too less... Sometimes I just can't do anything and need to wait until cd is over..

3.  My Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aegwynn/Théjà/simple
My logs (last hc):  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Nnwca2k84Xf6gWGJ#boss=-2&wipes=2

Is my dmg okay for my gear? Or can I increase the damage if I aim for 20% haste?

I just don't get it...

• Like 1

Regarding your question :  1. WHY 20-22% haste cap? At the start of legion everyone said "30% haste cap" and now 20, why?

Originaly you have to reach 30% to be able to keep judgement up  during a fight . Its true if you use the divine purpose spec but as soon as you use Crusade , haste gone stack in the fight  reaching what you need to keep judgement up ... so if you have more that 20/22% you gone overcap the haste for nothing . Get some Crit instead .

I still testing the 2 specs , as i understand Divine purpose is good at low gear and Crusade is better as soon as you get enought gear ..

On 10/27/2016 at 7:39 PM, Theradon said:

20-22% haste cap? i feel is bad as i have tried to do this changing my haste for mastery or vers my numbers dropped.
Personally i will be sticking to the 30% haste as i get better numbers out it. As for the new mastery build i feel is bugged. when out instance and raid my master says my judgement last 8 sec, and in world or pvp it goes to 24 sec.

On 10/27/2016 at 6:39 PM, Theradon said:

Hey, 

I got some questions too...

1. WHY 20-22% haste cap? At the start of legion everyone said "30% haste cap" and now 20, why?

2. I got about 30,5% haste and I still have the feeling it's too less... Sometimes I just can't do anything and need to wait until cd is over..

3.  My Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aegwynn/Théjà/simple
My logs (last hc):  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Nnwca2k84Xf6gWGJ#boss=-2&wipes=2

Is my dmg okay for my gear? Or can I increase the damage if I aim for 20% haste?

I just don't get it...

i'm not so sure that haste cap is correct, i was sitting at 22% boosted my crit and actually saw a loss of dps. not much, but still a loss. also noticed some downtime depending on BoJ proc, which is also not good. i've been fidgeting with my setups but it seeps like more haste is the way to go, but you can decide for yourself.

On 10/26/2016 at 1:11 PM, Hiho said:

Greetings,

I feel like my dps is low, when compared to all other members in my raid, especially the other ret pally(Myroruk) in my guild\raid, who seems to consistently do so much more dps than me.

I usually try to start my initial rotation  with  
initially: wake of ashes, judgment,  crusade, templars verdict, crusaders strike, blade of justice
( i essentially alternate to build up 3 hp to spend as soon as possible while crusade is active )
the rest of the time: build up 4 or 5 hp, then judgement, then spend and build quickly as well until another crusade.

Me and the other ret pally have similar gear( i think ), so it feels frustrating that he and i would so often be at different places regarding dps.  Also, simulations seem to indicate that i should be doing around 250k ish dps, not my current averages. Am i doing stuff wrong? Is it just the gear\stats? I cant tell if I am doing OK or not, and really hate to waste the raids time of I am not.

My toon's(Hiho) Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/executus/Hiho/simple
Myroruk Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Myroruk/simple

Warcraftlog, EN 7/7 N 1/7 H:  https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/qTArgNLkpJ4mWBwH/#boss=-3

All help\suggestions\observations\criticisms are appreciated, and thank you for your time.

as far as OP is concerned, you should definitely be full gemmed and enchanted. the neck enchant alone is a solid 3%+ upgrade

i also noticed you dont use blessing of might on your top 3 dps. it should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS be on your top 3, it in turn gives YOU the damage on the meters/logs. and yes they do stack, so give a second might to your pally friend since hes your top output

other minor things you could do, your trinkets are decent but there are much better ones out there (especially the one your bestie is using [Faulty Countermeasure]). i know the procs on the trinkets in EN are worded a little wonky but they're awesome. I for one love the effect on Ursocs Rending paw. it consistently does 3%+ of my overall damage. the trinket along with fireball food and the neck enchant is a whopping 10%+ total of my overall damage.

just to reiterate everything i think you're doing fine, just get the proper consumables/enchants/gems and you'll walk up the meter, and don't be too concerned right now, he does have the 2nd best legendary for our class. you'll get there, be patient