FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Meiliang

Explain me what I'm doing wrong

Hey guys,

I open this topic to get helped in order to improve myself as a Unholy Death Knight and to increase my dps in raid. I'm gonna show you the logs of my guild and my armory. Can you explain what I'm doing wrong in my rotation, my talents or something else, because I feel that I have a really low dps for my Item Level. I know I'm not enchanted, but I think this isn't the major problem.

Thank you guys,

Mei,

Armory Link : http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/archimonde/Meiliang/advanced

Logs Link : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/jCXLHJyrxzg1YD7W

No potion easy 4m extra dmg, some down time on Dark Transformation which is of course not optimal, as well as soul reapers being delayed in cast, 1 by like 35 seconds which is pretty long to delay a free 21% haste buff, also some delay in apoc casts, while it doesn't turn out to have lost you any over the course of the fight you delayed 1 of them by almost 20 seconds. only a 95% uptime on dot very easy to keep it at 99% tbh, one of your soul reapers only applied 2 stacks of the buff meaning you only got 14% haste for one of the casts while this does happen i know it's happened to me because of bad rng, bad rng isn't to much of an excuse. You also spent some time runic capped around 20 seconds.

Your Counterweight is a pretty lack luster trinket honestly if you can find anything for a stat stick with both crit strength even at 830 it's way better than that trinket. getting haste cap doesn't really matter.

TLDR: Normal problems with most unholy logs, not 100% dot uptime, no use of potion or misuse, DT not being used 100% optimally, same with soul reaper and apoc. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Drtain said:

No potion easy 4m extra dmg, some down time on Dark Transformation which is of course not optimal, as well as soul reapers being delayed in cast, 1 by like 35 seconds which is pretty long to delay a free 21% haste buff, also some delay in apoc casts, while it doesn't turn out to have lost you any over the course of the fight you delayed 1 of them by almost 20 seconds. only a 95% uptime on dot very easy to keep it at 99% tbh, one of your soul reapers only applied 2 stacks of the buff meaning you only got 14% haste for one of the casts while this does happen i know it's happened to me because of bad rng, bad rng isn't to much of an excuse. You also spent some time runic capped around 20 seconds.

Your Counterweight is a pretty lack luster trinket honestly if you can find anything for a stat stick with both crit strength even at 830 it's way better than that trinket. getting haste cap doesn't really matter.

TLDR: Normal problems with most unholy logs, not 100% dot uptime, no use of potion or misuse, DT not being used 100% optimally, same with soul reaper and apoc. 

Holy mother of replies. I've gotta start hanging out on the unholy side of things more often. this reply is amazing.

40 minutes ago, Aegis said:

Holy mother of replies. I've gotta start hanging out on the unholy side of things more often. this reply is amazing.

Dtrain is amazing with logs. When someone asks for help I refer to him first. 

13 hours ago, Drtain said:

@Drtain I appreciate that you spend time to help me, and thank you for the quick answer ! I'm gonna try to respect all of your points ! Thank you very much ! 

Mei.

Slightly off-topic but im impressed with this analysis by @Drtain Is there any chance you could write a guide (or video guide?) on how to analyse a log like you did? 

Also, how long did it take you to analyse the log?

Thanks a lot for your efforts. 

@Defrosted generally takes me anywhere from 5-15 minutes per log depending on how long the fight logs are, generally speaking i use the resources tab, buff tab, and the most useful of all the replay of the fight where i generally right stuff down looking at the stacks had right before the apoc and soul reaper casts, though some people don't use advanced combat logging which makes it so i can't use this feature. When people don't have the advanced logging enabled i generally have to rely on eyeing out the dmg  in the dmg charts seeing when army and apocs are used. Dot uptimes are generally pretty see to see, and same with DT just fight length / 40 seconds (if SI) if infected claws I just fight length/ 60

@Meiliang NP

Edited by Drtain

8 hours ago, Drtain said:

@Defrosted generally takes me anywhere from 5-15 minutes per log depending on how long the fight logs are, generally speaking i use the resources tab, buff tab, and the most useful of all the replay of the fight where i generally right stuff down looking at the stacks had right before the apoc and soul reaper casts, though some people don't use advanced combat logging which makes it so i can't use this feature. When people don't have the advanced logging enabled i generally have to rely on eyeing out the dmg  in the dmg charts seeing when army and apocs are used. Dot uptimes are generally pretty see to see, and same with DT just fight length / 40 seconds (if SI) if infected claws I just fight length/ 60

@Meiliang NP

@Drtain Are you able to comment on Blood DK logs? or focused specifically on UH/DPS DK?

@Aegis While i am not proficient in blood or play it often I'm sure i can find issues and point them out if i see any. Generally speaking it'll be things such at blood plague, uptimes on bonesheild, and etc link me them and i'll take a look give you what advice i can. I imagine i can probably tell you whats going on or if there is any problems.

Edited by Drtain

Honestly, uptime on the dot isn't that big of a deal. Obviously you should try to keep uptime at 100% but the damage you lose is very minimal... You should definitely prioritize keeping soul reaper stacks and getting a better trinket and enchanting your gear. That would boost your DPS the most. You might think enchanting and geming is a waste but it's like having another stat-stick trinket

Edited by ngub

@ngub The dot uptime isn't a big deal to fix either though a simple weak aura easily changes it, and if i had to between 100% uptime on dot vs 1 time of 7% haste i'd rather take the dot.

Further to the excellent analysis by @Drtain you can always start by looking at checkymywow which is pretty good for looking at resource management. The one thing I don't think was mentioned before which I think is something to focus on is that not only did you miss 2 potential casts of soul reaper, but one of the casts you did you only burst 2 wounds, and the 3rd haste buff thingy always helps.

Have a look at this link to see how you might get even more resource uptime: http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/jCXLHJyrxzg1YD7W/141873146/44

This is a pretty good place to quick for quick log analysis before going into the deep stuff!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Davin21 said:

Further to the excellent analysis by @Drtain you can always start by looking at checkymywow which is pretty good for looking at resource management. The one thing I don't think was mentioned before which I think is something to focus on is that not only did you miss 2 potential casts of soul reaper, but one of the casts you did you only burst 2 wounds, and the 3rd haste buff thingy always helps.

Have a look at this link to see how you might get even more resource uptime: http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/jCXLHJyrxzg1YD7W/141873146/44

This is a pretty good place to quick for quick log analysis before going into the deep stuff!

^ This,  it's a good place to get upfront info on how to improve.

Import your log, then process the fight.
Displays your key metrics , resource management and CDs

Whilst wlog is the universal choice, the above is a user friendly way of deciphering all the info.