Morachnus

Choosing a spec post first legendary.

5 posts in this topic

So right after I hit 100 and while I was still doing some quests as destro, the spec I leveled as, I got my first legendary. Sweet right? One right off the bat! But it's made me wonder, as demo has proven to be the top performing spec, if that's turned out to be a drawback. Mostly because this Magistrike Restraints is the one I got. It has a very spec specific benefit, and I'm wondering if it's worth sticking to destro because of it. I've played some demo, and I worry that if I get a second legendary in demo, it's going to spread out the power I could gain by having two for the same spec. Also I wonder if that 30% chance of the extra chaos bolt is going to increase my damage enough to be competitive with demo at my ilevel (855 right now). Or I could always get one in demo that benefits all specs. But I don't know. So I'm mostly just working with what I have now and under the impression that I will, at some point get, one more. 

So tell me what you think. Is that 30% chaos bolt worth sticking with the spec? Is the possibility of having two destro legendaries really going to push my damage output higher than demo would be with no legendaries for it? Or just one?

First, Demo hasn't proven to be the top spec. It is the best ST spec and has reasonable cleave/aoe, but that doesn't really make it the top spec. Destro is still VERY strong and is much more widely used in mythic, mythic+, and mythic raiding.

If you want to min/max in mythic raiding you need to play both destro and demo, but if you want to be average then you can play either one but playing demo really handicaps you in a lot of situations.

Those bracers are great for basically everything that destro is great at, but if you don't want to play destro then forcing yourself into a spec you hate isn't viable long term.

1 person likes this

Morachnus,

To me it sounds like you need to decide what your main spec will be. Your main spec being the one you do the most fights with. For me it is Destro. We are barely into mythic but the only fight I have and probably will play with Demo is on Nythendra. Hence loot spec for me is Destro until I go hunting for Sindorei Spite.

Spikey, I've always been horrible at settling with one spec. I like the different flavors of warlock too much, haha. 

Locky, you make some good points. I guess I just need to focus less on sims and other people's numbers and focus on my own. Destro is a good spec, and I like the feel of the rotation. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Morachnus,

Thanks for the reply. Well there's nothing to say you can only play one spec. Even go for all 3 if that is what you want. 

I have the Feretory of Souls belt and 29 points in Destro. In Demo I have 20 points, the belt doesn't proc and I am still at only 34% haste. So it is close but Demo is still better ST damage for me. However, if I have to move a lot then Destro eventually takes over. Up until now I have done better with Destro on Ursoc heroic. This is due to the fact that the guild makes use move a lot, much more than you will see on any top lock video and yeah I am a lot more experienced with Destro and hence can get more from that spec. I know this is a complete jumble but do you get what I am trying to say?  Play around and see what works and what doesn't for you. Yes sims show the max DPS but that doesn't mean it is achievable by the majority of people. 

Otherwise I echo everything that Locky has said. 

P.S Edited to add it also depends on what your guild needs. Mine seems ok on ST damage but adds dying can be a problem hence Destro wins again.

Edited by spikeysquad

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Violentravi
      Hello,
      Adelante is currently recruiting DPS & Heals, however, all competent players will be considered.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 8/10N NH 4/7M EN and 3/3H TOV.  As far as classes go we do not have a Moonkin, Mage, Feral Druid, or any type of Monk. We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM Eastern.  Thursday is not considered a raid night, but we will often clear Heroic and Normal on this evening for AP and it is not required. We are pushing progression on Il'gynoth, and look forward to finishing off EN then moving on to Nighthold, we will be intermittently working on Mythic TOV.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that, if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
       If you are interested, you can either reply to this thread and link your most recent combat logs for review, make a character on our realm and inbox me, or hit me up on real ID (violentravi#1826).  Alternatively, if you are old school, please apply via our website:  http://www.adelante-guild.com
      Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho & the Guild
    • By Lor
      Sindorei Council, a family-friendly and socially active guild has been active since 7/24/2007 (BC drop), currently 7/7 (H)EN, 2/3 (H)ToV, and 5/10 NH.  Seeking DPS (notably ranged) for completion of Heroic and preparation to move on Nighthold.  
      We are not a hardcore progression guild - have never been and don't seek to create that atmosphere.  We are an incredibly welcoming social guild with a core raid component of very skilled players who have enough real-life going on that one night/week (occasionally 2) is what we push for.   We've reached our current raid progression on essentially one night/week. 
      Are you a good fit?  If you enjoy playing your class very well, are reliable to be on at the given time(s), yearn for a fun PG atmosphere in Gchat and Discord with mostly adults, and feel like one (occasionally 2) night per week is ideal for the time you want to put into raiding then we may be a good fit for you.  We help others get better and push people to have fun in guild, raiding or not ( be it through Questing, M+, WQ's, Roics, Pet Battles, etc.). We know our members' backstories and strive to make our guild a family.  Very active FB page and Discord.  
      Schedule:   Current main core raid night is Thursday from 7:30 EST - 10:30 EST (Bloodhoof Server time).  Sunday nights are an alternative night for us.
      Progress:  7/7 (H)EN, 2/3 (H)ToV, 5/10 NH
      Loot:  All Personal - hand down to people who need 
      NEEDS: 
      - Ele Shaman
      - Mage (Fire or Frost)
      - SPriest
      - Boomkin
      - Hunter
      - Arms Warrior w/ Prot offspec (another skilled dps that is comfortable off spec as Tank works well also (Feral/Guardian, WW/BM, etc.)
      Interested?:
      BTAG: Lorienawk#1319 or Mango#1525.  
      Thanks and Happy Hunting!
    • By spookychick13
      Hi,

Heading into Nighthold for the first time tonight and now sure how to spec.
      ST?
      AOE?
      MoC or Volley? Is Stampede worth taking?

Help please.
    • By sixxn
      So I'm confused on what to do at this point.. I'm at 30% crit with the shoulders equip and 120% mastery. Should I be stacking mastery now and not worrying about crit since I get 100% off start? I also have the bracers? Also since the burst is for 6 seconds I don't know what I should do for a opener anymore.. Any suggestions? 
    • By carajh
      With the huge upcoming nerfs to BtE (crit multiplier removed) and greenskins wrists (400% to 300% damage), i am wondering if the effect will still be worth using in 7.1.5, or whether or not they will become a glorified stat stick. With the slight buff to ghostly strike also, it seems they may become useless. Does anyone have any info / run any sims on the issue. On a side note, with the single target buffs to outlaw is it going to be a competitive spec, and will slice and dice overtake roll the bones to give the spec more consistency (although make it far more boring).