FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Morachnus

Choosing a spec post first legendary.

So right after I hit 100 and while I was still doing some quests as destro, the spec I leveled as, I got my first legendary. Sweet right? One right off the bat! But it's made me wonder, as demo has proven to be the top performing spec, if that's turned out to be a drawback. Mostly because this Magistrike Restraints is the one I got. It has a very spec specific benefit, and I'm wondering if it's worth sticking to destro because of it. I've played some demo, and I worry that if I get a second legendary in demo, it's going to spread out the power I could gain by having two for the same spec. Also I wonder if that 30% chance of the extra chaos bolt is going to increase my damage enough to be competitive with demo at my ilevel (855 right now). Or I could always get one in demo that benefits all specs. But I don't know. So I'm mostly just working with what I have now and under the impression that I will, at some point get, one more. 

So tell me what you think. Is that 30% chaos bolt worth sticking with the spec? Is the possibility of having two destro legendaries really going to push my damage output higher than demo would be with no legendaries for it? Or just one?

First, Demo hasn't proven to be the top spec. It is the best ST spec and has reasonable cleave/aoe, but that doesn't really make it the top spec. Destro is still VERY strong and is much more widely used in mythic, mythic+, and mythic raiding.

If you want to min/max in mythic raiding you need to play both destro and demo, but if you want to be average then you can play either one but playing demo really handicaps you in a lot of situations.

Those bracers are great for basically everything that destro is great at, but if you don't want to play destro then forcing yourself into a spec you hate isn't viable long term.

• Like 1

Morachnus,

To me it sounds like you need to decide what your main spec will be. Your main spec being the one you do the most fights with. For me it is Destro. We are barely into mythic but the only fight I have and probably will play with Demo is on Nythendra. Hence loot spec for me is Destro until I go hunting for Sindorei Spite.

Spikey, I've always been horrible at settling with one spec. I like the different flavors of warlock too much, haha. 

Locky, you make some good points. I guess I just need to focus less on sims and other people's numbers and focus on my own. Destro is a good spec, and I like the feel of the rotation. 

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Morachnus,

Thanks for the reply. Well there's nothing to say you can only play one spec. Even go for all 3 if that is what you want. 

I have the Feretory of Souls belt and 29 points in Destro. In Demo I have 20 points, the belt doesn't proc and I am still at only 34% haste. So it is close but Demo is still better ST damage for me. However, if I have to move a lot then Destro eventually takes over. Up until now I have done better with Destro on Ursoc heroic. This is due to the fact that the guild makes use move a lot, much more than you will see on any top lock video and yeah I am a lot more experienced with Destro and hence can get more from that spec. I know this is a complete jumble but do you get what I am trying to say?  Play around and see what works and what doesn't for you. Yes sims show the max DPS but that doesn't mean it is achievable by the majority of people. 

Otherwise I echo everything that Locky has said. 

P.S Edited to add it also depends on what your guild needs. Mine seems ok on ST damage but adds dying can be a problem hence Destro wins again.

Edited by spikeysquad