FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Swick

So how bad is capping runic power?

After looking through guides and forums I'm still not entirely clear how exactly how bad capping runic power is and how quickly it needs to be dealt with. I find myself capped on runic power a good chunk of every fight and wondering what should be prioritized in spite of this. For example, I would assume that you should punch Soul Reaper/Apoc even if your capped because you don't want to lose those seconds in the fight, but at this point I'm not sure

Should I be blasting away on Scourge Strike with 3 stacks of the Soul Reaper haste buff even though I'm capped or do I need to balance out Death Coil in there too?

Similarly, should Death Coil be treated like something to cast only when you can't do anything else?

Any insight here would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Swick said:

After looking through guides and forums I'm still not entirely clear how exactly how bad capping runic power is and how quickly it needs to be dealt with. I find myself capped on runic power a good chunk of every fight and wondering what should be prioritized in spite of this. For example, I would assume that you should punch Soul Reaper/Apoc even if your capped because you don't want to lose those seconds in the fight, but at this point I'm not sure

Should I be blasting away on Scourge Strike with 3 stacks of the Soul Reaper haste buff even though I'm capped or do I need to balance out Death Coil in there too?

Similarly, should Death Coil be treated like something to cast only when you can't do anything else?

Any insight here would be appreciated.

When you pop soul reaper your number on concern is popping your 3 wounds to get the buff. As far as capping runic power for unholy its not horrificly bad thing to happen and it kind of common. So what do we get from death coil? Death coil can proc runic corruption. Also if taking shadow infusion talent (recommended in many cases) it lowers the CD on dark transformation. So, the crudest answer is to spam death coil when you have nothing else to cast. This is the basic way to use it. So you would get your wound stacks up, cast soul reaper, cast apocalypse, and then death coil spam.

Now, with the artifact you can get a proc called scourge of worlds which increases damage of scourge strike for a short window "sometimes" after using death coil. So, pre popping wounds you might want to fire a death coil or two to fish for the proc and then start your scourge striking.

So while you typically don't want to sit on a resource rp capping for unholy isn't the end of the world. General play you can get by with just spamming it when you have nothing else to do. Good play, you would try to cast it to avoid rp cap and on sudden doom procs (assuming no soul reaper is up). Leet play would have it weaved more into rotation for procs and buffs. 

It's not a massive issue to be runic capping and in some cases it's necessary.
There's are certain stages in fights where I purposely allow myself to Runic cap for a second or two, prior to a target mechanic that requires a debuff drop off

There's nothing worse that having to drop off Rot, running away from Ursoc,  Elerethe's venom/storm debuffs without being able to spam Death coils.

But as DA stats above, priority is to ensure your SR's hits 3 stacks, Apoc on 8 when both off CD.
There may be the occasion where you have to delay using either of these to burst an add etc this is the time to spunk your RP pool.

One of the other contributing factors as well, is that death coil doesn't do note worthy damage. It's really for proc fishing. So, you aren't losing damage by not using it say you would a rime proc or killing machine or (insert proc from another spec that is beneficial here). So, it's fine to cap and it may happen, its more about using it at the right time then using it immediately. 

No harm if its capped and your low on health to fire off a quick DS or two. Yes your dps will dip slightly but less so than if you die. 

:)

19 minutes ago, Shells said:

No harm if its capped and your low on health to fire off a quick DS or two. Yes your dps will dip slightly but less so than if you die. 

:)

honestly this ^ saved my butt more than one time, especially when I mechanic derp

• Like 1