FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lothos1103

AP vs Exsang

As the title suggests, it's discussing Agonizing poison vs Exsanguinate. Personally, I prefer Exsanguinate. I feel it operates better on add fights as Deadly Poison has a higher application chance vs Agonizing which is 30% lower app rate and I have seen it perform better numbers wise on single target as well. An example would be my Mythic Ursoc kill where I was using Exsang with gear heavy in Versatility and crit but low mastery  (https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/5723006/latest#boss=1841) whereas I tried an AP build with gear high mastery (about 119%) but low vers and about 36% crit (didn't get a log on that one but pulled about 355k...about 30k lower). I understand there is an add in the mythic fight but considering the add doesn't reset garrote or give energy bonus when it dies, I don't feel that would make that dramatic a difference. 

On top of that example, Exsang is also simming higher for me in my Exsang gear compared to AP in that build's respective gear.  Granted, I also want to think that if AP is truly outperforming Exsang, I probably don't have the right gear set for it yet as I sacrifice a good bit of crit in order to attain a high mastery (Exsang gear gives me about 42% crit, 9.4% vers, and 70% mastery whereas my AP gear puts me at 36.5% crit, 3.6% vers, and 115% mastery).

Long story short, is anyone else switching between these two and/or finding one build outperforms the other? I know when Legion first launched, it was all about the Exsang build and stacking Vers/Crit, but since Mastery has been listed as having much higher value and ruling out Exsang completely in the Icy Veins guide, I find it a little conflicting that I'm getting much better results from Exsang. 

Let me know what you think! :)

It's very strange, I'm simming higher as exsang but performing better as MP/AP. Either I'm making an excruciating amount of mistakes as EP/Exsang or I'm making a mistake with my sim settings. I have 104% mastery 33% crit before buffs personally.

I play both with two gearsets.

And on fights, where I am able to whoop the boss most of the time, AP is clearly ahead to Exsang, not only in my sims but also on my real fights. I've finally broken the 400k dps mark on Ursoc (heroic tho) last week with 42% crit and 138% mastery. That said, both your crit and mastery value seem to be somewhat low. Maybe that's why you still get better results with your "main"-gear.

All in all I think Exsang is still viable and will be in the future, due to APs sluggish nature. In quick fights, which require target switches and/or burst, Exsang will always outperform AP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infin1tum said:

I play both with two gearsets.

And on fights, where I am able to whoop the boss most of the time, AP is clearly ahead to Exsang, not only in my sims but also on my real fights. I've finally broken the 400k dps mark on Ursoc (heroic tho) last week with 42% crit and 138% mastery. That said, both your crit and mastery value seem to be somewhat low. Maybe that's why you still get better results with your "main"-gear.

All in all I think Exsang is still viable and will be in the future, due to APs sluggish nature. In quick fights, which require target switches and/or burst, Exsang will always outperform AP.

Thank for the reply and the input! Yeah, based on the stats from your gear, it sounds like AP would definitely be better just in the raw mastery alone. I've been keeping my eye out for more crit/mastery gear but all that seems to drop for me is crit/haste which usually ends up becoming vendor trash. :P I'm not ruling it out completely until I can get my stats right but Exsang is still performing well for me as you mentioned. 

Again, thanks for the comments! :)