Triangle

Bad BM DPS?

12 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,
I was just wondering if I could get some help with my BM hunter DPS? It seems way too low for my ilvl (currently 856/858). Of course it's much better on multiple targets, but even then it seems low. I recorded my overall DPS from a few dungeons;

Halls of Valor Heroic; 223k
Vault of the Wardens Mythic; 185k
Blackrook Hold Mythic; 275k
Court of Stars Mythic; 226k
Eye of Azshara; 191k

On the world boss, Flotsam, I put out 175-190k throughout the fight, which is just upsetting.

I've attached my stats (excuse the half transmog) and artifact in case there's anything helpful there, I'm hoping things will improve as soon as I get Titan's Thunder but I'm not holding my breath. I'm sure I've missed something important - I was putting out excellent dps through the last few expansions. I'm tempted to play more MM since they're obviously the better spec in Legion, but it would be nice to solve my BM problem.
Any help or advice is very much appreciated!

chstat_021116.jpg

titanst_021116.jpg

You need to state your intentions a bit clearer, as it will determine what feedback you get.

1) Are you wanting to stay BM (for your own reasons) and improve it?

2) Are you all about dps purely, and simply want whatever spec gives you the highest numbers? (regardless of encounter or utility you provide)

To say MM is the better spec in the entire Legion expansion as a whole is a gross assumption without knowing what content you are focused on,  what your personal goals are, and some kind of detailed combat log showing what you did during an encounter.

Edited by Vicour
removed quote box

overall dps is fairly useless as a metric in this case. I suggest you log yourself (using warcraft logs or similar) in some mythic dungeons or lfr and provide a link to it. That that will provide all the information someone would need to be able to help you.  

The only guidance I can give you is reiterating what Azor's BM guide already says.

One thing to remember for dungeons is clearing trash is most important. It is the most time consuming and you want to talent around that ideology. Especially when getting into Mythic+. So talent into Volley and Stampede is pretty important. Then you just rotate your cooldowns. 1 Trash Pull use Stampede. The next use Bestial Wrath. The next use Aspect of the Wild, titans thunder, etc. I personally do this to make every trash pull more efficient. You can always stack cool downs for large pulls as well. This has been very effective for me. Always maintain beast cleave via Multi Shot and setup a weak aura cast bar for you to visually see when beast cleave is about to fall off. Then save some CD's as you get closer to the boss fight. Your DPS should be pretty high all the time if you do all of this.

You could have taken a better route on your artifact weapon. Putting points into Cobra Shot and Spirit Bond should have been after you got your 3rd gold trait. Taking this route offers a good chunk of a DPS boost via Titans Thunder. You can always reset your weapon and re-allocate points if it bothers you that much.

1 person likes this

I was actually thinking the exact same thing as you not long ago when I was around your ilvl. I was also really concerned about my single target dps (I'm assuming that's what you're most worried about). The first thing you should do, like other people have said, is to use warcraft logs. When I used warcraft logs, I realized that it wasn't my rotation that was the issue, it's purely a gear issue for me. When I was your ilvl I believe I was pulling around 200-210k dps on single target on long fights. What I didn't realize was that many other people who were pulling much higher dps at my ilvl had some combination of the following: Good trinkets, a good legendary (which I didn't have at the time), food buffs/flasks/defiled runes, and potions. Do not underestimate the difference these things make. Completely unbuffed, I can now easily pull 266k dps, and I have a legendary that doesn't help dps.

If I were you, I would start off by doing 2 things:

1. Using Warcraft Logs

2. Use SimulationCraft

This should help you see if your rotation is the issue or if it's just your gear. But in the end, beast mastery hunters don't currently shine on single target dps and that's just something you have to accept. However what you should appreciate is that, bm hunters are the #1 most mobile ranged class and do insane damage in dungeons due to our aoe dps.

Well after taking a good 2 years off after hardcore and then farming Heroic Siege of Orgrimmar (back before mythic existed), I've just done my first full EN clear, and every boss was averaging at least or well over 240k dps as BM and I'm 2 ilvls lower than you.

The main differences I can see, is I have 10% more mastery than you, slightly less crit and slightly more haste. (Although tbh you have the 10% damage legendary ring so that shouldn't be a huge issue).

My artifact route was the one specified by Azor (and I'm still yet to get Titan's Thunder) and my artifact relics are all in Jaws of Thunder (Not by choice but pure luck that I've gotten 850-860 relics for that specific trait)

What talents are you running? Ideally I find stampede to be rubbish for anything other than low level mythic+ when you're pulling huge lots of mobs that need to be grinded down - killer cobra > everything always. 
And even volley, from every time I've tried it it never provides enough dps to make up for the fact I might get a few less multishots/kill commands in.

Maybe just prioritising your rotation? Do you use murder of crows with or without bestial wrath up? I honestly found that to be the biggest difference - it says on Icy-Veins to use that (or it did last I checked) BEFORE Bestial Wrath - but that's a 46%+ dps cd that makes a HUGE difference in damage for murder of crows. 

Without any logs it will be difficult to help you, besides what my colleagues just said (Killer Cobra > ,  Jaws/leader relics > , etc...).

Do you use something like tellmewhen/Weak aura to  help you with your rotation? 

there is also a pretty sweet site that u can upload your logs to www.checkmywow.com it'll read your logs and show you what you need to do to improve as it takes the guess work and know how on how to read logs 4 u

It is mathematically impossible for the Killer Cobra+Crows build to do more damage than the Stampede+Volley build in DUNGEONS.

The only time single target becomes priority in dungeons is during Mythic+10 while Tyrannical is the affix.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

It is mathematically impossible for the Killer Cobra+Crows build to do more damage than the Stampede+Volley build in DUNGEONS.

The only time single target becomes priority in dungeons is during Mythic+10 while Tyrannical is the affix.

Is there evidence of this? Or is this anecdotal like I was discussing? 
I'd happily be proved wrong because I'd love to improve on my own character and do better in M+, but I've never had volley do more than 5-6% of my overall aoe dps, and I definitely find that on smaller mobs or chances where I can MoC more often, I get way more out of it and do far more dps on bosses.

15 hours ago, Andanath said:

Is there evidence of this? Or is this anecdotal like I was discussing? 
I'd happily be proved wrong because I'd love to improve on my own character and do better in M+, but I've never had volley do more than 5-6% of my overall aoe dps, and I definitely find that on smaller mobs or chances where I can MoC more often, I get way more out of it and do far more dps on bosses.

Have you done Mythic+ yet?

14 hours ago, chicken said:

Have you done Mythic+ yet?

Yes, dozens of times, I've just never found Volley to be of any use and my dps significantly decreased on both AoE and single target fights. I've yet to do much with stampede though, and I'll be honest about that, but to be honest most of the time I can't get into a group with competent enough single target dps that would more than make up for what I'd miss out on by not taking killer cobra.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Elesis
      Hive have opened up recruitment!

Hive is a 2-day mythic raiding guild on Ravencrest-Alliance. We are a core of raiders who have been together since before the launch of Legion and are looking to expand on our Raiding Roster for the opening of Tomb of Sargeras. We are a fairly new guild and as such are a work in progress.
      We are aiming for a spot within the top 20-30 guilds on Ravencrest on progress, and are looking for more raiders with an ambition and dedication at the same level.
      Recruitment:
      1x Holy Paladin
      1x Rogue
      1x Warlock 
      1x Mage 
      1x Rogue
      Legion Progression:
      Emerald Nightmare: 7/7 M
      Trial of Valor: 2/3 M
      The Nighthold: 5/10 M

Raid Days:
      The raiding times in Hive are Thursday and Sunday from 19:30 until 23:30 Server time (CEST). Invites to the raids will go out starting at 19:15. We require all raiders to be ready and available to execute the first pull of the raid at 19:30.

Loot:
      The loot in Hive is distributed amongst the raiders through a Loot Council. This council includes 3 Officers and at least 2 Raiders. During the remainder of the Nighthold Raid, all Trial Raiders will have equal rights to any loot drops as a core raider - Once Tomb of Sargeras is open however, Raiders will have priority over Trial Raiders within reason.

Requirements:
      -All communication during raids will be in English and we require all our raiders to be on Discord and able to speak, with a functioning mic. 
      -80% attendance on main raids. Due to this low attendance requirement, we have a large roster of players and all raiders may be subject to rotation in the raiding team on any given night.
      -A positive attitude towards constructive critisism - We expect all raiders to know their class through and through.
      -Preparation. All raiders are required to show up with enough Flasks, Food, Health potions and Combat potions to last through a night of extensive progress wiping. We may also ask you to use Defiled Augment Runes on progress fights. Vantus Runes are provided by the guild bank.

If you are looking for further information or have any questions, feel free to contact any of our Officers on Battle.tag:
      Elesís - Elesis#2594
      Jösh - JoshSmith#2461
      Bamf - Bamf#1142
      Or visit Hive - Ravencrest

• By Elithia
      Deathsworn Verdict

We are currently looking for DPS (Melee + Ranged)  and a Tank to bolster our mythic roster!
      Current progress: 9/10M NH, 3/3 TOV. Raid Times
       Wednesday: 20:45 – 00:00  Thursday: 20:45 – 00:00  Sunday: 20:45 – 00:00
      During progression, we occasionally extend to a Monday (20:45-00:00) raid if a boss kill is on the horizon.

Apply on our site at: http://deathswornverdict.enjin.com/
      Or contact me for further information: Elithia#2451 
      Deathsworn Verdict – Who Are We?

Deathsworn Verdict (Ravencrest) has been an active raiding guild since 2011 and over the years, we have always worked hard to progress through high-end content as a cohesive team. Raiding is only one side of the story for us, though. No day in Deathsworn Verdict goes without jokes and laughter, and we are immensely proud of the unique, inclusive guild atmosphere that we have cultivated.

What Can You Expect From Us?
       A humorous, unique social atmosphere that extends outside of raid times and outside of WoW.  Solid, focused mythic progression.  A range of off-raid activities, such as mythic+ groups and alt runs.
      What Do We Expect From You?
      · Full preparation for each raid. This includes knowledge of the fight, correct gems and enchants as well as bringing consumables. · To have the drive to improve and be mature enough to handle constructive criticism. · To be able to communicate in English using a microphone + Discord. · We do not tolerate homophobia, sexism or racism in any form.
    • By Nobbykinz
      Autumn Mist is a raiding social guild looking for players like you.
      http://www.autumn-mist.net

We are mostly searching to increase our DPS raid team so we can advance further through Mythic Nighthold and then onto ToS.
      We are a very active guild with events on most days:
      All starting at 8pm Server time other then the whole day events.
      Wed: TOV HC
      Thurs: Nighthold HC
      Fri: Mythic + night
      Sat: Nighthold N
      Sun: Gear up sunday + Nighthold HC
      Mon: Emerald Nightmare HC
      Tues: Transmog Tuesday
      As we establish ourselves people are welcome to come and go to any of the events with no pressure to attend all, With raiders gaining the benefit and support of the guild bank to maintain and keep us going throughout the raid.
      Social or normal members will be able to join on any of the farm raids, alts also welcome. All requirements for the raids are posted in the calendar (ilvl+dps).
      Feel free to apply via the website, or add me on bnet if you want a chat, Nobbykinz#2994 all questions welcome.
    • By Fyresparxx
      <Abyss> is recruiting to bolster our Mythic raid team. We are a zero drama guild of adults who enjoy raiding progression content. 
      The guild has been around since day one of classic. We have a relatively relaxed raid environment and solid leadership that encourages players to excel while still enjoying the game.
      Raiders must come prepared, on time, with flasks, pots, food, and runes. 
      Raiders must know their class and role. 
      Potential raiders must have been gearing for the content.
      Drama Queens and Trolls need not apply. 
      Progression:
      7/7M, 2/3M (3/3H), 7/10M (10/10H)
      Our raid schedule is:
      Tuesday - Wednesday - Thursday
      8PM - 11PM CST
      We are looking for the following classes/specs, but will consider any good and dedicated players.
      Swing Healer - Druid, H Priest, Monk
      Ranged - Elemental Shaman, Hunter
      Melee - Plate DPS
      If you are interested in joining our Mythic team, please apply: https://goo.gl/forms/ZQPvm6KYcqEkzTpz1
      If you have any questions please leave a comment, contact Fyresparxx#1148 or Warriorferet#1935 or send a message or in-game mail to Elissa-Whisperwind or Fyresparxx-Whisperwind.
    • By Xanah
      Guild: Dawn of the Dead | http://www.dotd.org   Faction: Horde | Server: Zul'jin (PvE) | Timezone: EST   Current Progression: 9/10M Nighthold | 2/3M Trial of Valor | 7/7M Emerald Nightmare   We've been raiding max size raids continuously since WoW has been released and are the only guild to have done so here on Zul'jin. We have strong leadership, no drama, and plans to keep raiding for years to come. Unlike many guilds, we're not recruiting for the short term, and we don't over-recruit.   Website: www.dotd.org
        Raid Times: Our schedule is 8-11 EST Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.   Needs: We are a small guild, and we expect high attendance. As such, we recruit people to raid, and desire people who can step in and contribute immediately. We don’t recruit people to sit around, so all spots are for raiders who can expect to be in most every raid.   We are currently looking to add skilled and reliable:   1-2 Melee or Ranged DPS
      1 Healer
      High: Holy Paladin
      Medium: Disc Priest
      *ALL exceptional applicants will be considered regardless of the class.   What we ask of you:   Effort: Not all applicants come from highly progressed guilds, and that’s okay, but it does mean that you need to be prepared. We recruit the player, not the gear, but we do ask that you have some current experience and be a minimum iLvl of 885. You need to have the best gear available to you, (BoE, Crafted) with gems and top end enchants. You also need to be able to display an understanding of your class mechanics, role in a raid, and ability to learn new fights.   Attitude: It’s a game. We play for fun. How you fit in with the guild is taken very seriously. We’re a bunch of mostly 18-30 guys and girls who have fun playing together. While we have a good time, we also know when it’s time to buckle down and work hard.   Skill: The best way to determine skill is to see you in a raid. Because we don’t wish to have anyone transfer that we’re not serious about, be able to express your knowledge of your class and why you’re an exceptional player who would be an asset and is worth a shot. Gear will come with time. Skill will not. Impress us with your knowledge of your class and gameplay mechanics. Feel free to share any logs, theorycrafting, or other work you've done.   Commitment: We make a commitment to you, and ask you to do the same to us. A raid takes a team of more than 20 individuals working together. We rely on you to show up to raids, research your class and new fights, respect your fellow players, and notify us when you are unavailable. You rely on us for gear, experience, and coordination. It's a large investment of our time to train and gear new players, and we ask the same investment on your part so that we can each benefit.   We have a variety of informational resources available to prospective applicants on our web site: http://www.dotd.org-- please refer to our "Applications" forum for detailed information. Also feel free to visit us on WoWProgresss for more information and kill videos! http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/...wn+of+the+Dead   Should you wish to speak to someone in-game, please don't hesitate to reach out to an officer directly, whisper Xanah (Xana#1662) or Jeare (Jeare#1759).   We look forward to hearing from you soon!