FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
TheRealCthulhu

Critique my DPS, what should I work on?

Time to rewrite this post again since these forums like to delete everything you wrote if it won't let you post...sigh.

I haven't played for close to 8 years and am still trying to perfect my rotation but I still need help with getting my DPS up to snuff. I have followed the guide posted here on IV and have also read a bunch of threads to try and gauge what might be the problems to discuss. 

Some of the main issues I have found are that my crit may not be high enough, and that I shouldn't solely focus on mastery until I have around 40% crit, and that my EP uptime could do better. I don't know how I would be able to keep EP up more often than I do if I am constantly doing 5-6 CP Envenoms. Would doing 3-5 point Envenoms be logical or too low to provide enough DPS?

Those are my overall problems...for fights like Il'gynoth I struggle really bad at maintaining my DPS and am not really sure what I need to fix on these kinds of fights as everything dies too quickly for me to keep my bleeds/poisons up. Any help is appreciated on this part because I am kind of lost here, even for Ursoc type fights I know I need some better DPS but I think that might be attributed to what I posted above.

I am at 862 ilvl, and have 131% mastery, 29% crit, 7% haste, and 3% versatility.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgath/Cthülhü/simple

Here are the logs from H-EN the other day minus Nythendra: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/AkMbtBqrCLFfa6RJ/#source=8&ability=193641&view=rankings

All help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

In my opinion, your crit is too low to make effective use of EP.  Given your large Mastery pool, go Master Poisoner in that tier instead.  There's a great post on the official wow rogue forum by a player named Neverrz entitled "Your Guide to Topping Meters".  I suggest googling it and learning about some of the nuances to playing MP.

When you get your crit higher (45-50% sheet for EP/AP), give EP a try again and you'll have much better success.

It also assumes a fight with literally zero mechanics, target switching or movement, which no longer exists in raids.  Use your judgement to gauge how the introduction of such elements might alter the value if a given spec choice.

6 hours ago, lipsinch said:

Remember that the simulation takes in consideration your playstyle being near perfect. Expect some loss compared to what it's simmed.

So what you're trying to say is that on top of the 13k I lose on the SIM I should expect an even bigger drop? I am not quite sure I am understanding what you mean.

3 hours ago, Derby said:

It also assumes a fight with literally zero mechanics, target switching or movement, which no longer exists in raids.  Use your judgement to gauge how the introduction of such elements might alter the value if a given spec choice.

So something like MP would be better for Il'Gynoth, but EP would be better with Ursoc type of ordeal?

Also if I use MP should I keep AP?

Edited by TheRealCthulhu

What we meant is that the simulation uses an optimal scenario, and usually the type of fights used in the sim are tank'n'spank, so there isn't much movement and mechanics involved, also taking as granted that the player moves like a computer, with no error margin (or very minimal). You can fiddle with these options in the application, though.

And yes, it may represent a higher loss.

Edit: Don't go Sin in Il'gy fight. Play as Combat. If you can't play anything else than Sin, run Exsang, as they got better burst than AP.

• Like 1

Sin is actually a fine choice for mythic Il'gynoth since the tentacles live longer and the slimes are killed one by one.  We are doing mythic Illy progression this week and I am consistently at or near the top for damage contribution on our pulls as EP/Exsanguinate.

That being said, Il'gynoth is not much of a DPS race in the outside phases.  The parts of the fight where heavy DPS matters are obviously phase 2 (or inside), Nightmare Horrors, double-Destructors and the resulting 4-packs of slimes that emerge from their corpses.  Corruptors are also important to burn down, but I think most guilds put primarily ranged on them so I never really check my personal damage on those things.  YMMV.

Except for the slime packs, those are all single target burns on which Assassination will shine quite brightly.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Derby said:

Sin is actually a fine choice for mythic Il'gynoth since the tentacles live longer and the slimes are killed one by one.  We are doing mythic Illy progression this week and I am consistently at or near the top for damage contribution on our pulls as EP/Exsanguinate.

That being said, Il'gynoth is not much of a DPS race in the outside phases.  The parts of the fight where heavy DPS matters are obviously phase 2 (or inside), Nightmare Horrors, double-Destructors and the resulting 4-packs of slimes that emerge from their corpses.  Corruptors are also important to burn down, but I think most guilds put primarily ranged on them so I never really check my personal damage on those things.  YMMV.

Except for the slime packs, those are all single target burns on which Assassination will shine quite brightly.

Well, I've been away for some time now, guess the tactics have been adapted. :P

9 hours ago, Derby said:

I don't understand how it would shine better? They die so fast. How often do you maintain dps on the eye? I'm just trying to keep my dps up to our other rogue. I seem to lack on this fight.

YMMV stands for, "Your Mileage May Vary."  What that means is that my experiences may or may not be analogous to your own.  If you are not doing mythic Il'gynoth, the adds will die faster and assassination will feel worse.  If your raid has higher DPS per player than mine and the adds therefore die faster regardless fo difficulty, assassination will feel worse.  If you play more or less efficiently than I do with your movement/bloods/combo points/AOE opportunities/spec/etc, you will see drastically different results.

People usually cite an abundance of AOE as the reason for why Assassination performs poorly on Il'gynoth.  As I mentioned, mythic Il'gynoth has raids killing most of the slimes one at a time which negates the AOE advantage.  For LFR, Normal and Heroic, other classes with better burst AOE may indeed be superior to Assassination without well-timed poison bomb procs or a completely meter-padding performance.  That is what it is.

Okay guys I am back after awhile and it seems I still seem to be slumping in some fights and I don't really get why..I am ranked extremely low in a lot of fights but am not sure how to fix it due to all the mobility issues like when you do heroic Odyn.

I am also curious as to if there's certain damage I can just mitigate rather than running around all the time to bypass said damage.

I also got my second legendary the other day Cinidaria and was curious as to if it would change my opening rotation at all?

Here are the new logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/JQhzngrBCcxMw9Wa#boss=-2