FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
firebrill

Coin problems in arena

I have recently been tracking all of my arena matches on HearthArena, and over 27 runs I have a 76% winrate without coin and a 40% winrate with. What am I doing so drastically wrong with the coin to be so bad with it? Any tips would be appreciated!

Starting with The Coin is simply worse. However, the difference should not be 36%. The most common mistake when using the coin is coining out a card without having a follow-up play on the next turn, such as coining out a 2-drop on turn 1 without having another 2-drop in your hand to follow up on turn 2. 
Saving coin might also be better if you are playing Rogue and have a lot of combo cards in your deck.

As Positiv says, people often treat the coin as a "I CAN GET A BIG THING OUT 1 TURN EARLIER, YAY" and then end up using it completely inefficiently. This is especially true when players coin out early mobs, don't have a follow up play and it gets removed. 

The coin should enable you to complete a play that actively advances your chances of winning. That extra mana to clear a board, complete a combo, drop a BIG mob that requires direct removal. Coining a 3/2 on turn 1 isn't quite that :p

In arena currently going first vs going second there's a huge gap .. Most of the games that I win in Arena are when I go first .. I' m sure most people will agree with this .. 

9 hours ago, peekaboo said:

In arena currently going first vs going second there's a huge gap .. Most of the games that I win in Arena are when I go first .. I' m sure most people will agree with this .. 

It's due to the lack of synergy that often happens in Arena. Instead, playing on curve is incredibly important, ensuring you maintain a decent board presence. Coin works well, as long as you don't ruin your curve with it. People often will coin out a 5 drop, then end up hero powering on turn 5 and wasting their mana and coin.

Just a reminder: if you post a replay of a related match (in this case a match where you went second), we can possibly help you with your coin usage.