FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
hunnypots

[Holy] I feel like I was doing better, but then...

So I was a regular raider up until WOTLK, then I quit and recently came back... wow, I feel like the priest game has changed!  I've come to the realization that I'm just BAD now, and that I have to do some research into my class to actually be ok.   

I'm in a casual guild, and that's perfect for me and my real life responsibilities.  I'd like to be able to heal some Mythic+, but we're probably not going to progress past Heroics in raids and tbh I'm fine with that.  I've started relying more on POM, Sanctify, and Serenity in my rotation, and that gave me a boost the week before.  I thought getting some better gear (Mastery>Crit>Haste, right?) would help me even MORE this week, but... for some reason I can't totally pinpoint, I'm worse?  I know I bought into the whole ilvl before anything bit for a while, but I thought I was getting proper gear now.

Raid logs here:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cJWHLmt1axwA34ng#type=healing

Armory here:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/hyjal/Mitralle/simple#talents

mastery / crit is priority.

crit should atleast be 20% up to 30% and mastery 35-40% +

i wouldnt worry too much about haste feel like 7-10% is good enough.

i would aim to go this artifact traits first http://www.wowhead.com/artifact-calc/priest/holy/GbaTItA0IBNFATRgM0wDNOAzTwM1ADNRA1QgEA

and for playstyle there is like 2 ways to play i feel and know about anyway.

aoe style where u priority is poh / sanctify and proccing the passive serendipity and making use of divinity apotheosis and power of naaru trait to boost aoe healing. and pom if nothing else to do and flash heals. a fully bufffed prayer of healing can do alot. but its kinda bad without all the traits for it. this is more for figths like ursoc, cenarios and xav.

other is where there is more spot healing not really aoe healing.. then it goes like keeping pom of cd and having benediction talent and spamming flash heals mostly and using sanctify / serenity. figths like nythendra, dragons, elerethe renferal.

i think u need to use the traits and talents mentioned and practice the aoe healing it isnt hard once u get used to it and know how it works. just nailing the aoe healing should bring u up alot im prety sure. because i looked at ursoc and xav logs and i can tell why its low, u dont make use of sanctify / poh and the passive serendipity. thats what u need to work on. and for your gear i have no clue how it is i tried looking at armory but you are in shadow gear.

Edited by bugd

Hello! =) Hope you won't mind some more opinions.

As a starter, 4 healers is kinda overkill on normal. Atleast with 18 people. There's no way your Mastery is going to get it's full "potential".

And as Bugd mentioned: you should aim for more crit. One major reason is so Blessing of T'uure can proc more often (elite trait). Taken a look at your Xavius kill, you had around 15% uptime (surely we can't base RNG on one log) But a good encounter is ~20% uptime

Another thing I noticed was your Mana resource. Don't be afraid to use your mana! =) You seem to have quite a lot of mana when the encounter(s) end. (most likely since it's nothing to heal). But a "good" healer spend his mana so he's practially "oom" when the encounter end(s). Also, Mana potions is a good tool to cast even more spells. 

Do that and enchants on neck & back and it'll help a lil'more =)

I don't feel that a good healer is practically oom when an encounter ends. But with 4 healers with 18 people in normal, your numbers will be low. Options you should look into are when there is down time as a healer, meaning nobody needs topped off, dps the boss or adds. More dps is always welcome as long as nobody is dying. Also, if you have any trinkets that give mana, maybe see into replacing them with trinkets with more crit or mastery.

I guess I phrased it wrong with the "oom-thingy". My point is, you regulary see posts like these and then take a look at the logs, you often see people either don't use enough mana OR run out to quickly.

In this example, he often had +60% mana left at the end of the fight(more or less on some fights). And that's without a Mana Pot. So of course the HPS is going to look like it currently does if he's not going to spend his mana :/

By spending mana and be OOM when the encounter end, isnt really a bad thing. It just means that "this" person did a good job spending his mana over the course of the fight.

But yeah.. normal with that setup..

On 14/11/2016 at 3:16 AM, Riesen said:

I guess I phrased it wrong with the "oom-thingy". My point is, you regulary see posts like these and then take a look at the logs, you often see people either don't use enough mana OR run out to quickly.

In this example, he often had +60% mana left at the end of the fight(more or less on some fights). And that's without a Mana Pot. So of course the HPS is going to look like it currently does if he's not going to spend his mana :/

By spending mana and be OOM when the encounter end, isnt really a bad thing. It just means that "this" person did a good job spending his mana over the course of the fight.

But yeah.. normal with that setup..

I beg to differ. Spending mana does not mean effective heals. What is the point of high HPS when most of them are overhealing?

Edited by Conky

But with 4 healers with 18 people in normal, your numbers will be low

This. Especially if you have a druid in the raid who has nothing to do but prehot everyone. I'm one of those, it's just to keep me busy.

Do the same raid with 2 healers. I've done it and I'm no elite player. Your numbers will probably be way better. If your group wipes then and only then you'll know your heals may use some improvements.

@ Conky  

My POV from this thread was that hunnypots wished to improve his/her HPS. As a Holy priest, there's most likely always going to be some sort of overhealing thanks to our Mastery. And in a Normal group, I doubt that our Echo of Light will have time to tick for the full duration on most fights.' And it's not like it's going to affect the group if he cast some more spells.

And I didn't  blindly just say "spend more mana". I took a look at the replay function at some fights that I know can be "healing intense".

If we ignore the spell usage and talent choice, Hunnypots could actually get some more spells out without being just overhealing.

I can understand the frustration some people have when their HPS is worse. But, it's usually about 'who cast their spell first'. 

Why can't a Holy Priest be the one to cast their spell first? =/ 

Im not saying he/she or anyone should cast (e.g) Flash Heal if the player has 100% HP. But simple things like Renew on the Tank or actually use spells when people drop. Surely it has todo with knowing the mechanics. But I find it kinda weird to (e.g) use Prayer of Mending if the damage/mechanic already happened.