Chieftain

Enhancement - Improving DPS

15 posts in this topic

Hi there!
I'm currently not very satisfied with my DPS which you can see in these logs for HC: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/8gwBmrzRDt7HF3X4/#boss=-2&type=damage-done
and here is my Character: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormscale/Urshák/advanced

My Rotation is:
Feral Lunge - to close gaps
Maintain Boulderfist and Flametongue Buffs
Cast Boulderfist to generate Maelstrom
Spamming the shit out of Stormstrike every time I can :D
When Boulderfist and Stormstrike are on CD i'll use Lava Lash (and Crash Lightning when there are more targets)
Cast Doom Winds, Feral Spirits and Blood Fury everytime I can
(- Hope I didn't forget anything)

Could you help me with my Rotation and/or can you give me some advice on how to improve my DPS.
Would be very awesome, because I don't have the knowledge to figure out what I'm doing wrong or how to improve.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers!

Your main mistake is talent choice my friend. You should use Hailstorm instead of haste buff (can't remember the name sorry.) Hailstorm is our main dps recourse with Stormstrike. Your rotation seens okay. You should maintain your Frostbrand and Flame on boss every second. You should change your trinkets as much as possible use your rerolls on ursoc and ilgynoth for trinkets (and pray to god =) ) You will be quickly see the difference when you start to use Hailstorm. Try to stack Mastery as much as you can. Good luck on your progress.

• Like 1

You are close but missing some key elements to your rotation. There is a third buff you must keep up and that is your frost brand. Also use crash lightning no matter the circumstances as with the talent you have it will leave a electrified spot on the ground that damages the enemy standing in it. Overall nice job if you need anymore help please contact me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shovery said:

Your main mistake is talent choice my friend. You should use Hailstorm instead of haste buff (can't remember the name sorry.) Hailstorm is our main dps recourse with Stormstrike. Your rotation seens okay. You should maintain your Frostbrand and Flame on boss every second. You should change your trinkets as much as possible use your rerolls on ursoc and ilgynoth for trinkets (and pray to god =) ) You will be quickly see the difference when you start to use Hailstorm. Try to stack Mastery as much as you can. Good luck on your progress.

Thank you for your advice :) Yeah got pretty bad luck with my trinkets :D 
My friend told me that I wont lose any damage with the Haste buff...i guess he's wrong :) Will change that!

15 hours ago, Hurriquake said:

You are close but missing some key elements to your rotation. There is a third buff you must keep up and that is your frost brand. Also use crash lightning no matter the circumstances as with the talent you have it will leave a electrified spot on the ground that damages the enemy standing in it. Overall nice job if you need anymore help please contact me.

Okay, I thought Crash Lightning wasn't so important for a boss fight...I will change that and the Frostbrand/Hailstorm buff in the next encounter :)
Thank you too for your advice :)

Indeed, Hailstorm accounts for a lot of your total damage done. Usually (for me) the Hailstorm damage is about 15-17% of my total damage done. If you keep the buff up for the majority of the fight you will immediately see a great increase in damage. Of course, aim for 100% uptime, but 95%+ is good. You have plenty of haste to spare even without the Ancestral Swiftness talent. 

• Like 1

Hey,

Indeed, I highly recommend you to take the Hailstorm talent, in single target fight you'll do almost as much dmg with it than your Stormstrike this is huge ! Also I'm not a big fan of Feral Lunge in a raid situation, since it burns one gcd (global cooldown) when you can just start your fight with Flametongue for example, since it has a big range. Try the totem it is great in most raid fight :)

Also I think you should focus more on Mastery instead of Haste, it is just broken with the right enchants/trinkets (for instance, the Satyr Neck Enchant does Fire damage it's insanely strong).

• Like 1

Ancestral Swiftness is the talent to take when you are laughably overgeared and it doesn't matter.  Take it to Timewalking dungeons or normal Mythics to get your world quest done. It accelerates the damage you do, especially with large trash packs. On more difficult content, Frostbrand is going to perform better.

• Like 1

On 10.11.2016 at 2:19 PM, Orodrake said:

Also I'm not a big fan of Feral Lunge in a raid situation, since it burns one gcd (global cooldown) when you can just start your fight with Flametongue for example, since it has a big range. Try the totem it is great in most raid fight :)

Also I think you should focus more on Mastery instead of Haste, it is just broken with the right enchants/trinkets (for instance, the Satyr Neck Enchant does Fire damage it's insanely strong).

Yeah, I took Feral Lunge out of laziness :D
 I had the Wind Rush Totem at first but most of the time I forgot about it or the raid didn't made use of the bonus.
Okay, I'm focusing on Mastery right now but never got lucky to get the perfect stats on my items.
And thanks for the enchant tip :)

Thank you all for your advice :) I have changed my talents so far and trying to implement these tips in my rotation :)

If you got any other advices of what kind ever - I'm willing to take it :P

I actually enjoy Feral Lunge, but which talent you choose should depend on the fight. On Nythendra, Ilgynoth, Cenarius, Xavius, and Ursoc I usually use Feral Lunge. It helps me to either get back on the boss fast at certain times, or reach adds quickly.

The speed totem is an excellent talent overall though. Invaluable on fights like Elrethe to help your raid get out of the way when she drops down again. So make a judgement call!

Edited by Ninjan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Ninjan said:

I actually enjoy Feral Lunge, but which talent you choose should depend on the fight. On Nythendra, Ilgynoth, Cenarius, Xavius, and Ursoc I usually use Feral Lunge. It helps me to either get back on the boss fast at certain times, or reach adds quickly.

The speed totem is an excellent talent overall though. Invaluable on fights like Elrethe to help your raid get out of the way when she drops down again. So make a judgement call!

The speed totem is also amazing in Withered Training. You leave them behind if you use Ghost Wolf form, but with the Wind Rush buff they all keep up with you. :>

Edited by Tarazet
  • Like 1

Also remember to eat your pepper breath food. I see a lot of shamans not doing this and missing out on a huge dps increase.

• Like 1

Hailstorm is definitely one of the best abilities you can take.  until I began my tweaking process, my hailstorm wias my third highest generated DPS outputs.

I then tried a haste build and was able to successfully get it to 33%, with a 54% mastery.   DPS output failed miserably. Lost about 30 K damage.

I then began to maintain as recommended per this site 65% haste rating of total mastery level.  DPS output was slightly above average shaman in my ILVL

last night, I sacrificed all my haste to mastery. I rolled in with a 76% mastery, 15% haste.  changed gems, changed enchants and a few pieces of gear

DPS output is as follows

normal mode

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VLhxzgQJbXrCDwyB/#type=damage-done&fight=33&start=7640537&end=7743723

Edited by kaynu
  • Like 1

Pretty funny parse there, with the Holy Priest DPS and class stacking. Of course you're going to see nice numbers if the fight only lasts a minute and a half and half the raid is crazy burst types. :D

• Like 1

Nevertheless it was long enough to rotate big CD's twice. Sustainable damage.

But yeah we could solo heal H EN, ez pz stuffs

• Like 1

On 20/11/2016 at 4:39 AM, Kargar said:

Also remember to eat your pepper breath food. I see a lot of shamans not doing this and missing out on a huge dps increase.

The damage proc from Drogbar-style Salmon (pepper breath) doesn't scale with Enhancement's mastery, so you're taking a big hit in dps if you're using this over Mastery food.

Edited by Kal
  • Like 1