FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kimbo

Assasin gear scaling AP vs Exang

Atm I got crit/mastery gear in every gearslot. Ursoc and tirathons betrayal trinkets for agi.

Avarage il equipped 870, not using any legendary. 125% mastery, 44% crit. Using 3x vendetta relics (860,850,860)

By now I thought running AP spec my dps would go through the roof with the mastery scaling + 3 vendetta trinkets. 

But..still getting same dps with same gear with exange spec and not pushing over 400k single target. Sitting at 370k ish both builds.

Thoughts on this? Shall I stick to AP build for single target and 3x vendetta relics and just farm higher il gear and aim for 880 avarage+ and expect at least 50k more dps? :S I do sim the specs/gear but hard to say of it takes into count the mastery scaling with the AP build. For example it wants me to use a 865 crit/vers ring instead of a 860crit/mastery. Supposed to be 3% upgrade. Or 880 mastery/vers over ursoc legs crit/mastery, id loose way too much crit but sim says upgrade on the item with no crit..

appreciate some input!

Hey dude,

Gear and itemization is just one piece of the overall pie that is your personal DPS output, and I would argue it isn't the largest piece.  If you would like some advice on things you can do to improve your output, you will need to provide some log output links so we can review your actions and identify problem spots.

I say this often, but sims are not a replacement for your own mind.  You can't assume that, because something sims better, it is universally superior in all scenarios.  Example:  I have an 865 Eye of Command and an 865 Bloodthirsty Instinct.  When I sim the two as Assassination, the Eye of Command comes out as a 3,000 dps gain.  Sounds like an open and shut case in favor of the Eye, right?  Consider, though, that the sim program uses the Patchwerk fight model (by default) which does not require the player to move for any mechanics or change targets/stop DPS at any time.  In a situation like that, the Eye of Command buff will achieve maximum uptime and never fall off.  In any situation where target switching or lengthy interruptions in DPS time can be present (such as Il'gynoth and Cenarius), Eye of Command's power will decrease significantly and may actually be worse than the Bloodthirsty Instinct in practice on those fights.

The sim program will not account for that kind of thing on its own.  You need to either tune the application to simulate those conditions (unsure of the reliability of this option), or exercise your own judgement when reviewing sim data and not take output as universal gospel.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Im not new to assasin or anything, usually putting out more dps than rogues with higher gear score and one or even two good dmg-legendarys etc, so there is nothing wrong with how I play im pretty sure. The question is more like (excluding trinket proccs etc) Why isnt AP doing more dps than exange build with crit/mastery in every slot? Doesnt it make sense to you and I must be doing something wrong in your mind or would AP pull ahead on st at lets say 10 higher avarage il ? Feels to be that secondary stats barely means anything, I got some "bad upgrades" tonight with shit secondary stats but 5-10 higher il. So im at 873 now instead of 870. Lost 5% crit, 4% mastery...but gained some vers and haste and agi ofc. Turned out to be dps increase. Mastery and poison build doesnt seem to scale at all as people say, input on this? I mean im doing same dmg with exange and AP with 130% mastery 44% crit (no vers or haste at all) Why? Lets assume Im not playing any of the builds wrong :p

Edited by Kimbo

Hey Kimbo,

Unfortunately, unless you are a robot, we cannot assume flawless play on your (or any human's) part.  People make mistakes, and those mistakes are why sim numbers should never be taken as gospel.  There are so many factors that would cause your performance to differ from simulated projections that variances between the two are not sufficient cause to assume you are doing anything egregiously wrong.

Rather than sticking to the theoretical, could you post some of your logs here for analysis?  That way we can look at the fights you're worried about in detail, examine what you are actually doing, and hopefully find some correctable flaws for you to improve upon.

• Like 1