Starym

Diablo 1 Anniversary Event Guide

Sign in to follow this  

19 posts in this topic

zxImzMM.jpg

 

January is coming, with it the Diablo anniversary event is being added to D3 and so we took a look at the event and all it has to offer. You can check out our guide below, covering where to find the event, which transmogs, banner cosmetics, pets, portrait frames and achievements it will have to offer:

http://www.icy-veins.com/d3/diablo-anniversary-event-complete-guide


T0DYCU3L3UCK1478312104671.jpg    JVNM0W7UZ5TJ1478312107315.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Valhalen said:

Man, I wish we'd get the Classic Butcher as a skin for Heroes of the Storm.

Just a super, super low poly skin. I'd be down for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each dungeon level should be made to look like it does in Diablo 1, from what iv'e seen so far on the ptr is that each dungeon level looks like a normal Diablo 3 dungeon other than the visual filter that was added for this event. Blizzard should make it so that it's like a completely different Act with the classic Tristram town, and cutscenes, it would be badass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 9:44 PM, ZTARCRAFT said:

Each dungeon level should be made to look like it does in Diablo 1, from what iv'e seen so far on the ptr is that each dungeon level looks like a normal Diablo 3 dungeon other than the visual filter that was added for this event. Blizzard should make it so that it's like a completely different Act with the classic Tristram town, and cutscenes, it would be badass.

I do wonder how much work it takes to directly port something over from D1 to D3. I'm not great with stuff like this, so I honestly have 0 idea :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 10:44 PM, ZTARCRAFT said:

Each dungeon level should be made to look like it does in Diablo 1, from what iv'e seen so far on the ptr is that each dungeon level looks like a normal Diablo 3 dungeon other than the visual filter that was added for this event. Blizzard should make it so that it's like a completely different Act with the classic Tristram town, and cutscenes, it would be badass.

They mostly reused the assets of D3 wtih only minor changes to some monster appearence, in terms of visuals. i wouldn't say I was amazed with this decision but I can understand that for an anniversary event it would be a waste of time and resources to recreate D1 in D3 (and much more to recreate it as a standalone) and it is an adequate reminder for those who played the original of what it felt like (at least I got all the good vibes with the sounds, the items, etc), so I'd prefer they work on the new content they announced rather than working on a full recreation of D1 and by it further delaying content that is already late.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marvus said:

They mostly reused the assets of D3 wtih only minor changes to some monster appearence, in terms of visuals. i wouldn't say I was amazed with this decision but I can understand that for an anniversary event it would be a waste of time and resources to recreate D1 in D3 (and much more to recreate it as a standalone) and it is an adequate reminder for those who played the original of what it felt like (at least I got all the good vibes with the sounds, the items, etc), so I'd prefer they work on the new content they announced rather than working on a full recreation of D1 and by it further delaying content that is already late.

Very fair point, tbh. If they put a huge amount of resources into D1 event, especially given how much hiring they have done of late for Diablo, we may be delaying something huge (expansion/D4). I'd rather have either of those earlier than the event :p

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Blainie said:

I do wonder how much work it takes to directly port something over from D1 to D3. I'm not great with stuff like this, so I honestly have 0 idea :p

It probably would look horrible if you directly grab assets from D1 to D3, at least because the resolution they were intended to be used with. Also, D1 was a 2D game and everything was drawn for that so it would be clunky, to say the least, to reuse them in D3. As it stands, they would be better off recreating everything and if they don't make money from that then there is not much reason why should they invest that much resource in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Very fair point, tbh. If they put a huge amount of resources into D1 event, especially given how much hiring they have done of late for Diablo, we may be delaying something huge (expansion/D4). I'd rather have either of those earlier than the event :p

Yeah, the unannounced content is probably there too, although I'd think that those who were hired for that aren't exactly in the same team as the current developers of D3 and creating (or recreating) something in D3 would eat up resources from that part. Also, on the note of something huge, I don't see them coming out with an expansion at this point. Although I may be wrong, they were releasing content that seemed to be part of a scrapped expansion (mostly cosmetic/new regions), they will release a new character without expansion and these seems to be just drops to keep up the interest for the title until they have something to present, which, if it is a new game and they still hiring senior members (like a senior game designer for content/narrative), will be rather far down the road and we may not be seeing anything from it in this decade (which I hope not will be the case and we'll hear from it in the next 1-2 years).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marvus said:

It probably would look horrible if you directly grab assets from D1 to D3, at least because the resolution they were intended to be used with. Also, D1 was a 2D game and everything was drawn for that so it would be clunky, to say the least, to reuse them in D3. As it stands, they would be better off recreating everything and if they don't make money from that then there is not much reason why should they invest that much resource in it.

Yeah, when we interviewed some of the developers, they seemed very set on the idea of recreation for D3, rather than simply pasting D1 into D3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blainie said:

Yeah, when we interviewed some of the developers, they seemed very set on the idea of recreation for D3, rather than simply pasting D1 into D3.

I don't know, it seems a bit too generous term for what we got on the PTR. Maybe calling it a "recreation" was a mistake on their part because if we're looking at it this way, then it is disappointing in almost every corner. If they were to call it an "homage" or something like that then maybe the fans had reasonable expectations towards it and didn't get that much negative feedback already even though it isn't even out yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marvus said:

I don't know, it seems a bit too generous term for what we got on the PTR. Maybe calling it a "recreation" was a mistake on their part because if we're looking at it this way, then it is disappointing in almost every corner. If they were to call it an "homage" or something like that then maybe the fans had reasonable expectations towards it and didn't get that much negative feedback already even though it isn't even out yet.

I do wonder if over-hyping the announcement has caused this, though. Like, let's be honest, people were expecting a huge announcement. I heard talk of it "MUST" be Diablo 4, it "MUST" be X. I mean, people were expecting one of the biggest announcements at Blizzcon to be for Diablo, so no matter what Blizzard did, it wouldn't be enough. I'd say a fair number of people went into that event testing thinking "This isn't D4", "This isn't a remaster". 

Know what I mean? It was almost doomed to be criticised hard, no matter what. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2016 at 4:29 PM, Blainie said:

I do wonder if over-hyping the announcement has caused this, though. Like, let's be honest, people were expecting a huge announcement. I heard talk of it "MUST" be Diablo 4, it "MUST" be X. I mean, people were expecting one of the biggest announcements at Blizzcon to be for Diablo, so no matter what Blizzard did, it wouldn't be enough. I'd say a fair number of people went into that event testing thinking "This isn't D4", "This isn't a remaster". 

Know what I mean? It was almost doomed to be criticised hard, no matter what. 

Yeah, it was, but I think that is because it is Blizzard and people are always expecting to be amazed by their work. About the hype part, I think maybe this video summarizes well what happened, and although I do think that it was mostly the community's doing, Blizzard could have handled it much better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16.11.2016 at 11:32 AM, Marvus said:

Yeah, it was, but I think that is because it is Blizzard and people are always expecting to be amazed by their work. About the hype part, I think maybe this video summarizes well what happened, and although I do think that it was mostly the community's doing, Blizzard could have handled it much better.

Definitely agree and, on the video, was an interesting watch. I do wonder if Diablo-hype is basically just doomed for a while until they announce D4, basically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started playing this on the PTR and I'm wondering if the only way to play through all 16 levels of the labyrinth is to do so in one sitting. Seems crazy that there is no way to save my progress of completion, only having my character progress saved. Am I missing something? I can't even leave the game running or I'll be disconnected after inactivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2016 at 4:02 PM, Blainie said:

Definitely agree and, on the video, was an interesting watch. I do wonder if Diablo-hype is basically just doomed for a while until they announce D4, basically. 

Probably, at least if we by the loudest people, although usually those are the ones that are disappointed, so there is a chance that even a D4 announcement can get similar results by that standard :)

 

9 hours ago, PCakes said:

I started playing this on the PTR and I'm wondering if the only way to play through all 16 levels of the labyrinth is to do so in one sitting. Seems crazy that there is no way to save my progress of completion, only having my character progress saved. Am I missing something? I can't even leave the game running or I'll be disconnected after inactivity.

No, you're not missing anything. Although the original Diablo had save functionality and you could unlock different routes these things aren't there in this homage. On the other hand, it isn't that long either. You can rush through it within half an hour and I don't see anyone spending more than two hours even if you're going everywhere/killing everything. It's not ideal, of course, especially if you count this as a remake, but if you play is as a D1 themed rift or something like that, you'll probably get the hang of it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Marvus said:

Probably, at least if we by the loudest people, although usually those are the ones that are disappointed, so there is a chance that even a D4 announcement can get similar results by that standard :)

I feel like, if even a D4 announcement can't generate hype properly, Blizzard might as well just throw their hands up in their air in desperation and make a new game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Blainie said:

I feel like, if even a D4 announcement can't generate hype properly, Blizzard might as well just throw their hands up in their air in desperation and make a new game. 

Oh, no, I meant that there is a probability that there would be negative feedback even for a D4 announcement. Not getting any hype (not even negative) may as well mean the end of the franchise in this form, since that means that people not interested enough in it even to hate on it at least. I hope that we'll not getting to this point and there will be a next game in the franchise (I would even love a SC2-style Diablo-themed game :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Marvus said:

Oh, no, I meant that there is a probability that there would be negative feedback even for a D4 announcement. Not getting any hype (not even negative) may as well mean the end of the franchise in this form, since that means that people not interested enough in it even to hate on it at least. I hope that we'll not getting to this point and there will be a next game in the franchise (I would even love a SC2-style Diablo-themed game :))

I'm still hoping for a Diablo MMO, tbh. 3-way faction system of Angels, Demons and Nephalem. I'd so be down for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym

       
      It's that time again as there's a new season looming and the current one ends, with only 2 weeks left in Season 13! As usual there's a little break between them as everyone struggles to fit 2 entire stashes into one on the non-seasonal side of things and 14 starts on June 15th (which is just annoyingly confusing)!
      Season 13 End and 14 Start Date (source)
      Here we are again, nephalem. As we prepare to close out another Season in Diablo III, it's time to take a moment to remember what you have achieved and ensure that you're ready for the next.
      If you haven't experienced the end of a Season, there's a lot to know about what happens to your gear, your progress, and your characters. Don't fret! We're here to give you a full overview of what to expect when the current Season ends and the next one begins.
      Table of Contents:
      Season Rollover Conquests Leaderboards Season End and Start Dates  
      #blog .detail img { -moz-border-radius:4px; -webkit-border-radius:4px; border-radius:4px; -moz-box-shadow:0 0 20px #000000; -webkit-box-shadow:0 0 20px #000000; box-shadow:0 0 20px #000000; border: 1px solid #300E0D; max-width: 591px !important; padding: 1px; } #blog .detail td:hover > a img, #blog .detail a img:hover { border: 1px solid #BA5E0B; } #blog h1 { font:normal 15px "Palatino Linotype", "Times", serif; color:#F3E6D0; } #blog h3 { font:normal 23px "Palatino Linotype", "Times", serif; color:#F3E6D0; } #blog .divider-down { width:100%; height:72px; background:url('http://us.media3.battle.net/cms/gallery/KKZW0YDVPDT91334191716743.png?v=2') center center no-repeat; } /* SixStoneDivider */ #blog .detail hr.sixstonehr { width:100%; height: 50px; background:url('https://bnetcmsus-a.akamaihd.net/cms/content_folder_media/XVZ5EJCXP7FB1372898195077.png') center center no-repeat; border: none; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; } The Season Rollover
      If you've played through a Season before, you know that all the gold, gear, and Paragon experience you earned don't just disappear. But what exactly happens to all that hard-earned progress when a Season ends? The short answer is that you get to keep just about all of it.
      Here's a list of all the rewards from this Season you can expect your non-Seasonal heroes to enjoy:
      Heroes
      Seasonal heroes will be converted to either non-Seasonal Normal or Hardcore mode heroes, as appropriate. There's no need to delete any characters to make room for them; your Seasonal heroes will continue to use the same slot they currently occupy in your roster after the rollover. You’ll also be able to use Season Rebirth to convert any non-seasonal character into a Seasonal level 1 character once the next Season begins. Gold
      Any gold you earn during the Season will transfer to your non-Seasonal heroes. Paragon Experience
      The total amount of Paragon experience earned is the amount that rolls over, but not the raw total Paragon levels that you gained. For example, if your Seasonal heroes reached Paragon 300, and your current non-Seasonal heroes are already Paragon 400, your new non-Seasonal Paragon level will still be less than Paragon 700, since Paragon levels require more experience to earn the higher you go. Blood Shards
      Much like how it works with gold, any Blood Shards you have available at the end of the Season will transfer to your non-Seasonal heroes. If your non-Seasonal heroes are currently at the Blood Shard cap, any Blood Shards you earn once the Season ends will temporarily ignore the cap. You can spend these at your leisure; however, you can’t pick up any additional Blood Shards until you are below the current cap. Items
      Items that are currently equipped on a hero or in that hero's inventory will stay on that hero as it moves to a non-Seasonal game mode. Items that are in your Seasonal stash will be sent through the in-game mail system to your non-Seasonal heroes. These items can be claimed by any non-Seasonal hero up to 30 days from the time you first log in after the Season ends. To access these items on PC, enter a game and hit the Mail icon located in the lower left corner of your screen to open your inbox. Console players can do the same by visiting the mailbox found in any town hub. If you’ve unlocked Primal Ancient items by completing Greater Rift 70 on a Seasonal hero, you’ll also be able to obtain them on non-Seasonal heroes after the Season ends (if you have not previously unlocked them for non-Seasonal heroes).  Artisan Progress and Recipes
      If your Seasonal Artisans are a higher level than your non-Seasonal Artisans at the end of the Season, their level will transfer to your non-Seasonal Artisans. Any recipes you have on your Seasonal Artisans that are not available to your non-Seasonal Artisans will be transferred as well. Shared Stash
      Any Shared Stash slots or tabs you purchase during a Season that are not currently available to your non-Seasonal heroes will be transferred accordingly. Achievements
      Any achievements earned or achievement progress made during the Season are automatically applied to your non-Seasonal achievement profile. This happens in real time and does not require the Season to end first. Your achievement point total is also updated appropriately throughout the Season. Kanai's Cube
      After the Season rollover, any Legendary Powers unlocked using Kanai’s Cube on a Seasonal Character will become available on non-Seasonal characters as appropriate. At the start of a new Season, Seasonal characters will not have access to any Kanai’s Cube Legendary Powers unlocked during previous Seasonal or non-Seasonal play. Season 13 Rewards
      All players who reach level 70 on a hero in Season 13 will unlock exclusive transmogrification appearances for helm and shoulders. These appearances will unlock immediately upon hitting level 70 on a Seasonal hero, and will be available on Seasonal and non-Seasonal heroes alike (even before the Season concludes). To access your new appearances, simply visit Myriam the Mystic and open the Transmogrification tab. Players can also earn portrait frames and an exclusive cosmetic pet for completing various chapters of the Season Journey. Note: All heroes, rewards, and progress will convert to the appropriate non-Seasonal game mode. Any items, gold, Paragon experience, achievements, Artisan levels or recipes, Stash space, and Blood Shards earned on Normal Seasonal heroes will transfer to your Normal non-Seasonal heroes when the Season is over. Similarly, anything you’ve earned on Hardcore Seasonal heroes will transfer to your Hardcore non-Season heroes instead. 
      Season 13 Conquests
      Unlike other rewards, Conquests do not roll over at the end of the Season (because they aren’t available to non-Seasonal heroes). This also means that your non-Seasonal Achievement point total will not be affected by any Conquests you earn during a Season.

       Season 13 Leaderboards
      Once the Season ends, all Seasonal Leaderboards will be wiped and you’ll be unable to attain new Leaderboard ranks until the next Season begins. The results of the previous Season’s Leaderboards will remain available for viewing in-game for PC players. Once the new Season begins, PC players can view a handy dropdown menu to compare current and previous Season records. Similarly, console players will be able to view their rank for the previous Season.
      PC players can also view current and past Leaderboards on our website.

      In addition, the non-Seasonal Greater Rift Leaderboards on PC will be wiped sometime after the end of the Season. However, players on this platform can immediately compete in the currently active Era with their non-Seasonal heroes (including those who have just rolled over), and will not have to wait for the start of the next Season. 

      Season 13 End & Season 14 Start Dates
      You can sort through your Seasonal rewards and review your progress on the Leaderboards between Seasons. It’s a great time to reflect on the accomplishments you’ve made and enjoy the fruits of your pre- and post-Season loot hunts!
      Season 13 will end on the following dates:
      North America: Sunday, June 3 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT  Europe: Sunday, June 3 @ 5:00 p.m. CET Asia: Sunday, June 3 @ 5:00 p.m. KST Season 14 will begin about two weeks afterward on the dates below:
      North America: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. PDT  Europe: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. CET Asia: Friday, June 15 @ 5:00 p.m. KST For time zone assistance, check out this handy guide. We look forward to seeing you in Season 14!
      Ready for the Rollover?
      How have you fared during Season 13? What was the highest Greater Rift you reached? Did you complete any Conquests? Any other exciting accomplishments to share?
      Let us know in the comments!
    • By Stan

      Patch 2.6.1a is live on consoles and players can finally get their hands on the Starcraft anniversary pet!
      Dominion's Revenge Pet
      The StarCraft anniversary got delayed on consoles, but now that Patch 2.6.1a is live, you can earn the Dominion's Revenge pet just by logging into the game.

      Blizzard (Source)
      Greetings, nephalem!
      Patch 2.6.1a is now live for Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - Ultimate Evil Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. This patch should bring these console versions up to patch parity with PC.
      For the PC version of the patch notes, please check the launcher under Options -> Patch Notes on the Diablo III game tab. General
      StarCraft 20th Anniversary The StarCraft 20th Anniversary pet has been added to the game. All players should unlock this item upon entering their first game after patching. Bug Fixes
      Several bug fixes have been applied to the Season Journey in order to allow proper completion of tasks and Conquests
    • By Stan

      It seems that Twitch Prime members will receive a Portrait frame, Skeletal Wings, and a Shadow Diablo pet in an upcoming Twitch promotion.
      Redditor Kenaya came across a player with unique achievements and all the goodies listed above. He posted some interesting screenshots on Reddit.
      Achievements
      The player had three achievements related to a Twitch promotion that hasn't been officially confirmed yet.

      Twitch Promotion Portrait Frame

      Twitch Promotion Skeletal Wings & Shadow Diablo Pet

      (Source)
    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Wizard DMO Energy Twister Build.
    • By positiv2
      This thread is for comments about our Monk Tempest Rush Build with Sunwuko set.