Belo

DPS advices for a MM hunter

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I think I need some advices regarding my dps and rotation.
Unfortunately I only have logs from training dummies, but I try to get logs from raids asap.
My main problem is the weak dps in some single target fights, e.g. at Odyn in Trial of Valor my dps is around 200K-210K.

Char: Belovar 867 Ilvl
Logs

<Update>
Log from Xavius LFR

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Used no pots and food at the training dummies....

Edited by Belo

Hey Belovar!

I'm no professional when it comes to Marksmanship (at least not as good as I'm on BM subjects); but I've run that log from your Xavius Kill at CheckMyWoW and it's clear that you need a bit of Improvement in two of the fundamental mechanics of Marksmanship: Marking Target's proc usage and Aimed Shots casts inside the Vulnerable windows.

You need to manage to put at least 2 Aimed Shots + 1 Marked Shot (when procced) inside each Vulnerability window! Fights that require a lot of positioning (e.g Odin) makes it harder; but If you could antecipate some mechanics, it can greatly improve ur performance.

Here's the analysis link  if u wanna check it for more information: http://www.checkmywow.com/reports/YgLz1McQtwaNjkpx/117522181/1

(Apologies in advance for any english mistakes, still trying to figure out the language :) )

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, Yuden said:

Hey Belovar!

Marking Target's proc usage and Aimed Shots casts inside the Vulnerable windows.

You need to manage to put at least 2 Aimed Shots + 1 Marked Shot (when procced) inside each Vulnerability window! Fights that require a lot of positioning (e.g Odin) makes it harder; but If you could antecipate some mechanics, it can greatly improve ur performance.

Hey Yuden, thanks for your response. Will try working on this two points.
Could you give me an advice, what to do when Marked Shot is not proccing for a while? I think this is one reason why I have many Aimed Shots outside the Vulnerable window.

Well, as much as it is a shame, it's also a fact that RNG rules the MM spec. Ain't cool when nothing procs, but the best way to deal with that is to keep your cool and do not go crazy hitting buttons.

1-> Try to not waste sidewinders waiting for 'em to proc.; so Never let it hit 2 charges. That added with Windburst (that MUST be casted on CD) should improve ur Vulnerable Uptime.

2-> ONLY cast Aimed Shot outside a vulnerable window if you're going to focus cap! Otherwise accept your downtime and just Autoattack. I know that's difficult but trust me, it's better save that focus than spending it on a low damage AS.  

On the opposite area, you may be struggling with your screen going crazy with A LOT of procs at the same time. (Lol. That did happen to me at the beggining of my hunting career :P). The same goes for that situation. You must keep your cool and follow priorities WITHOUT losing any procs.

So, lets say that 2 sidewinders proc Marking Targets consecutively, plus u have a Lock and Load proc. Chill up, use ur first Sidewinders proc, deliver ur 3 or 4 Aimed shots (If you have enough haste you can allocate 4 AS with an L&L proc inside Vuln. window). Ur Marking Shot, and THEN use your second Sidewinders proc, following then your rotation. You'll hit like a truck!

Other than that, there isn't much to say. You have to get the feeling of the rotation (wich is a personal thing and take a little bit of practice); so you can learn how to deal with different kind of situations and explore the full potential of MM spec. And... that's it! :)

P.S: And remember, stack Mastery like there is no tomorrow! Always trying to coordinate that with Agi and Haste/Crit. But, again, Mastery all the way! 

Edited by Yuden
2 people like this

11 hours ago, Yuden said:

Well, as much as it is a shame, it's also a fact that RNG rules the MM spec. Ain't cool when nothing procs, but the best way to deal with that is to keep your cool and do not go crazy hitting buttons.

1-> Try to not waste sidewinders waiting for 'em to proc.; so Never let it hit 2 charges. That added with Windburst (that MUST be casted on CD) should improve ur Vulnerable Uptime.

2-> ONLY cast Aimed Shot outside a vulnerable window if you're going to focus cap! Otherwise accept your downtime and just Autoattack. I know that's difficult but trust me, it's better save that focus than spending it on a low damage AS.  

On the opposite area, you may be struggling with your screen going crazy with A LOT of procs at the same time. (Lol. That did happen to me at the beggining of my hunting career :P). The same goes for that situation. You must keep your cool and follow priorities WITHOUT losing any procs.

Hi Yuden,

thank you for your detailed response.
What I get is not to waste AS but use some auto attacks when it's at the time (outside vulnarable window). I knew, AS with low focus is not that good, but thought it's at least better than doing "nothing". Thats seems to be wrong ;-).

So, lets say that 2 sidewinders proc Marking Targets consecutively, plus u have a Lock and Load proc. Chill up, use ur first Sidewinders proc, deliver ur 3 or 4 Aimed shots (If you have enough haste you can allocate 4 AS with an L&L proc inside Vuln. window). Ur Marking Shot, and THEN use your second Sidewinders proc, following then your rotation. You'll hit like a truck!

You mentioned delivering 3 or 4 AS inside a vulnarable window. That doesn't work for me at all. Most of the time, I manage to get 2 AS in one vuln. window. I think the reason therefor is my haste rating.
My stats at item level 867, see here.

agi 24461
crit 28,03 %
haste 5,56 %
mastery 24,49 %

Is 5,56% haste to low in my situation? If so, what should I change?

On 11/12/2016 at 8:37 AM, Belo said:

Hey Yuden, thanks for your response. Will try working on this two points.
Could you give me an advice, what to do when Marked Shot is not proccing for a while? I think this is one reason why I have many Aimed Shots outside the Vulnerable window.

if your not getting procs:

on single target

Use Windburst followed by Aim shots, from the golden trait {Mark of the windrunner},  you'll be able to get 5 secs of Vulnerability, I believe i get 4 Aim Shots with no Lock n load procs into that window. Then i barrage. I usually get a proc after barrage if you don't then Sidewinder should be getting on it's 2nd stack, go ahead and use the 1st stored Sidewinder and Aim shot till that window is up or you get a proc. 

Mutliple targets - I will barrage first then Windburst with Aim Shots

Regarding your haste, you don't get more Aim shots in with increased haste due to not having enough focus. Even with LNL I can only get 3 in the first window and 2-3 the second window. Trueshot, haste trinkets and hero change that rule but not raw haste

Haste just causes more procs due to more auto shots. it will also lower Cooldown times so shots are available sooner.

On 11/13/2016 at 1:50 AM, Belo said:

Hi Yuden,

thank you for your detailed response.
What I get is not to waste AS but use some auto attacks when it's at the time (outside vulnarable window). I knew, AS with low focus is not that good, but thought it's at least better than doing "nothing". Thats seems to be wrong ;-).

You mentioned delivering 3 or 4 AS inside a vulnarable window. That doesn't work for me at all. Most of the time, I manage to get 2 AS in one vuln. window. I think the reason therefor is my haste rating.

I think you are only able to get 4 AiS in during vulnerable without LnL if you're stacking Hero/TimeWarp/etc with TrueShot.

If you're at full focus when LnL procs, you might be able to get in 4 AiS during vulnerable, but you need to make sure that if Marked Shot is active, that you don't let vulnerable drop off before firing Marked Shot, as Marked Shot refreshes vulnerable, and has a higher damage and priority than AiS.

I don't about know the RNG, but I suffer from SW not proc'ing Marked Shot more often than I expect so I'm only getting AiS during vulnerable.  Which hurts my DPS.

Edited by Eyeroll

On 11/14/2016 at 5:02 PM, Diemocracy said:

Regarding your haste, you don't get more Aim shots in with increased haste due to not having enough focus. Even with LNL I can only get 3 in the first window and 2-3 the second window. Trueshot, haste trinkets and hero change that rule but not raw haste

Haste just causes more procs due to more auto shots. it will also lower Cooldown times so shots are available sooner.

While focus may stop you from getting more than 2-3 Aim Shots in a vulnerable window, Haste increases the amount of time you have to get those shots in. More haste means lower Aimed Shot cast time. Lower cast times means you are advancing in your rotation faster. While you still only get 2-3 shots in a window you will have more windows during the fight. Also you may be able to squeeze in an Aimed Shot after having to move with the lower cast time.