lybrewa

Fire Mage killing me - taking too much damage

6 posts in this topic

Preface:

- First post on Ice Veins - only recently started using the site but, omg, savior

- Been playing Warcraft for about 4 years, off and on... still consider myself a newb

- Boosted a blood elf mage to 100, thinking I'd only use it for farming

- Got myself all three artifacts and up to 110 as frost

So, I got sick of the low dps that frost mage was providing in dungeons and was getting killed frequently. Others in my parties would get very frustrated with me. I didn't blame them.

Today I switched to Fire mage. Of course, I'm not familiar with all the spells but WOW. I tried killing some withered in Suramar just to test it out and they demolished me. Ice Barrier was always my go-to as Frost and if my shield went down before I could recast, I'd cast Mirror Image to take the damage for me.

(I HATE that mages have no in-combat heal)

Looking for help. Tell me if you need me to post anything. Like I said; total newbie. Most acronyms frighten me and there are lots of terms I don't know, lol.

I'm thisclose to finishing Pathfinder Part 1. Should probably stick to Frost until I get it, but I would like to go Fire after that. Preferably without dying.

Hey :) Welcome to Icy-Veins

At the moment Fire is by far the easiest spec to play and to master. With Frost and Arcane you have to handle a lot of "micromanagement" (small things and reactions), to be competeable.

As a mage you have to kill the enemies before they kill you! As fire you've got your Ice-Barrier, you've got at least 1 Blink (or 2 if you talented Shimmer) that gives you a HoT, Frostnova to get out of range and Dragonbreath to get a moment to breath.

At the beginning of a fight you almost instantly have a good burst (have a look in the guide) and with some gear and crit, nice sustain DMG.

To improve your DMG, that you kill them, before they kill you, you should have a look at the guide as well or post some logs from raid-fights :)

Hopefully I could help you :)

To be frank, until you get the correct gear, with sufficient crit, Fire will suck and you can die easily as your burst damage isn't there.  You rely HEAVILY on crit.

Once you have the gear, and you understand the basic, and get the rotation down pact, you'll do just fine.  I nuke the 5m elites in suramar down in 1 burst.

Follow the guide.  Understand how Combustion and ROP work together, and the timers on each.  You'll get it.

Thazi said:  Follow the guide.  Understand how Combustion and ROP work together, and the timers on each.  You'll get it.

Hmm, as Lybrewa mentioned, most acronyms frighten her. I've been playing for 9 years (though rarely as a Fire mage) and I don't know what you mean by ROP, nor can I find a spell that fits those letters. Perhaps you could help us both out and clarify what you are referring to? I'll take any help I can get :)

Askiroth, Fire mage initiate...

RoP is Rune of Power on your talent tree. For PvE questing Incanter's Flow is recommended here, but as I am getting slaughtered (feels like the recent update nerfed Fire Mages a bit) on this alt I came to see what could be done. I will try the Rune of Power and see if it helps reduce the corpse runs that seem to be the major theme of this expansion!

Hi.

First post here. I'm a jack of all trades but thought I'd talk a bit about questing with a fire mage.

As stated above, Incanter's Flow is better than Rune of Power talent for solo'ing.

You still have Ice Barrier - so vital that it's  now an all-spec ability rather than a talent.

Carry heal potions with you at all times! That alone will save a lot of corpse runs.

Fire is all about the crits. If you have other enchantments/gems/food change them.

Read the class description here on levelling since solo questing is basically the same. Follow those talent guidelines. When you join instance groups it's easy to change your talents for that.