FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Maruken

How do I play around my mastery as WW?

Title. Right now I'm trying to get every one of my attacks to benefit from my mastery, which means I have a lot of downtime when I have no cooldowns, no energy, and I've already used Blackout Kick. Simulationcraft suggests that this downtime is normal, but when I talked to my experienced WW friend, she said she has no downtime at all.

Am I playing wrong, or do I just need to ignore Mastery and spam Blackout Kick when I have nothing else (which wouldn't make sense with Hit Combo).

There is downtime in the spec, especially when you're using the Serenity talent.  Whirling Dragon Punch has less of an issue with this due to having the extra button to press (even if it is on a decent cd).  Don't forget that you have Chi Wave and Flying Serpent Kick at your disposal to fill empty GCD's, both of which will add a stack of Hit Combo/trigger the mastery.  Ignoring mastery completely is a very bad idea, as it's a decent multiplier to your damage coupled with Hit Combo as well.

14 minutes ago, Orthios said:

There is downtime in the spec, especially when you're using the Serenity talent.  Whirling Dragon Punch has less of an issue with this due to having the extra button to press (even if it is on a decent cd).  Don't forget that you have Chi Wave and Flying Serpent Kick at your disposal to fill empty GCD's, both of which will add a stack of Hit Combo/trigger the mastery.  Ignoring mastery completely is a very bad idea, as it's a decent multiplier to your damage coupled with Hit Combo as well.

I had no idea Flying Serpent Kick could be used as a rotational ability. I'll try that out, thanks.

Another question, Icy Veins says that Whirling Dragon Punch is the highest DPS talent, but Simulationcraft is using Serenity. Which one is correct?

Edited by Maruken

40 minutes ago, Maruken said:

I had no idea Flying Serpent Kick could be used as a rotational ability. I'll try that out, thanks.

Another question, Icy Veins says that Whirling Dragon Punch is the highest DPS talent, but Simulationcraft is using Serenity. Which one is correct?

Serenity is better if you are comfortable with the rotation and are looking for the highest DPS.  WDP is just fine, and slightly easier to use, at the cost of some DPS (compared to Serenity).  WDP is also better for open world content such as World Quests, since you typically don't use your CDs often.

Also, be careful about using FSK in your rotation.  It's incredibly useful for movement and should be saved for that over using it to alleviate downtime immediately.

there are many people saying serenity is better which i cannot approve. out of 10 pro monk players I've looked up only one uses serenity over whirling dragon punch in the most situations. Serenity is not the better choice for the highest single target dps. in fact the longer the fights get the higher is the usefulness of whirling dragon punch because of the lower cooldown the better synergy with mastery and hit combo (which is obviously better in long constant fights than a burst like ability). Also it is important to state that whirling dragon punch's cooldown gets reduced by haste which is a neat little thing to figure out. So as the content grows harder and the fights get longer whirling dragon punch will slowly get more attractive.

6 hours ago, mailow23 said:

there are many people saying serenity is better which i cannot approve. out of 10 pro monk players I've looked up only one uses serenity over whirling dragon punch in the most situations. Serenity is not the better choice for the highest single target dps. in fact the longer the fights get the higher is the usefulness of whirling dragon punch because of the lower cooldown the better synergy with mastery and hit combo (which is obviously better in long constant fights than a burst like ability). Also it is important to state that whirling dragon punch's cooldown gets reduced by haste which is a neat little thing to figure out. So as the content grows harder and the fights get longer whirling dragon punch will slowly get more attractive.

Well, before patch 7.1.5, serenity was by and far better than whirling dragon punch.  Also, there is no better synergy with the mastery and HC, other than having an extra button to be able to press.  BUT, given the nature of WDP, you are most likely always using it after a RSK or FoF, which is not a problematic point in keeping up HC, as neither of those abilities are spammable and at risk of dropping HC.  Xuen vs HC vs RJW is largely down to fight length and number of targets.  Haste's CDR for WDP is not really worth mentioning or anything special compared to most all other abilities, especially considering that in ST, haste is our worst stat and in AoE you typically don't want to use RSK (which is necessary in order to use WDP).  

All in all, your reasonings for using WDP are very flawed.  In truth, the choice boils down to whether or not you have the legendary bracers (Drinking Horn Cover) and whether or not you can use Serenity + RJW for mass-AoE (because that talent combo IS better at ~5 targets).

" We recommend that you keep your Haste and Mastery as close as possible. ".

Mastery 281%

Haste 18%.

I think this ship has sailed gentlemen.

16 minutes ago, Enso said:

" We recommend that you keep your Haste and Mastery as close as possible. ".

Mastery 281%

Haste 18%.

I think this ship has sailed gentlemen.

Where do you see this for Windwalker?  Because that mastery% looks more like it's for Mistweaver than it is for Windwalker.  Not only that, the quote you have there is from the Mistweaver guide, whereas the topic is very clearly about Windwalker, including havine "WW" in the title and every post before yours being about Windwalker.

2 minutes ago, Orthios said:

Where do you see this for Windwalker?  Because that mastery% looks more like it's for Mistweaver than it is for Windwalker.  Not only that, the quote you have there is from the Mistweaver guide, whereas the topic is very clearly about Windwalker, including havine "WW" in the title and every post before yours being about Windwalker.

Sorry yes. MW :(