FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bekon

Solo Tanking as a Pally

Due to some real life issues some people in the guild will not be able to attend the weekly raid.

So both our tanks and the backup tank are not availble.

I have an alt tank, and i dont need anything from the first 10 bosses in normal tot.

Would most of the fights up to Primordius be soloable by a pally?

I know that horridion, council, tortos, jikun, durumu are soloable, would jinrok and meagera we soloable as well?

Currently i'm full haste in gemming/reforge at 516 ilvl, would i need to regem/reforge differently for solo tanking or is the control/haste build sufficient?

Any general tips would be welcome.

Horridon is going to be tricky to solo tank. Your raid is going to have to be super aware of what's going on since all of the adds will be collected near his head making much more of the raid have to dodge the number of Double Swipes only the tank normally has to deal with.

Council will be rough to solo tank unless you burn the Frost King and Sul very fast.

Tortos, again, will be tricky to stay in range of Tortos while picking up bats unless you play with a god-like Hunter.

Megaera is soloable if you are decked, play really well, and have no melee. You'll be standing between the two heads up currently and getting double breaths. This will hurt, especially when dealing with Red + Green.

I think solo tanking is a rather poor idea. I'd pug a reasonably geared tank and teach him what to do if he has no experience as you go through. Teaching one tank how to two tank fights will take less time than your group learning to 1 tank.

Horridon is going to be tricky to solo tank. Your raid is going to have to be super aware of what's going on since all of the adds will be collected near his head making much more of the raid have to dodge the number of Double Swipes only the tank normally has to deal with.

Council will be rough to solo tank unless you burn the Frost King and Sul very fast.

Tortos, again, will be tricky to stay in range of Tortos while picking up bats unless you play with a god-like Hunter.

Megaera is soloable if you are decked, play really well, and have no melee. You'll be standing between the two heads up currently and getting double breaths. This will hurt, especially when dealing with Red + Green.

I think solo tanking is a rather poor idea. I'd pug a reasonably geared tank and teach him what to do if he has no experience as you go through. Teaching one tank how to two tank fights will take less time than your group learning to 1 tank.

thanks for the suggestions, my number one choise is to pug a tank, but the problem is that the server is of a medium populatuion hence its farily difficult to find a decent puggy, espeically a tank.

Have to agree - pug a tank... having an OT pug isn't so bad... you can give them all the simple tasks and make the raid happen.

IF you are going with 1 tank....

If solo tanking, you will be going with 3 good healers or wipe most likely. - can I HIGHLY recommend the warlock use a glyphed SS on you before every fight...

Jin-rock - you 'can' heal through the static shock debuff... just going to hurt like a mofo. you are going to want to play bubble the stacks off if you can. (MUST have macro to press to remove the bubble from you and fellow Pallys)

When the boss throws you, you will loose agro - so some raid member will have to taunt the boss at range so he doesn't just 1 shot the melee that is second highest on threat. - figure out what CD's can be used so that you arn't stunned the full duration so you can taunt back asap.

Horidon - can solo tank, just raid needs to be carful of the boss swipes that they normally are 100% unaware of.

council - easyer to solo tank than you might think...

the hard part will be the pull... you MUST get agro on 3 bosses off the dps... so you might want to tell them to NOT NOT NOT do anything for 5-10 seconds till you got agro on all 3. You will be stunned by frost king stacks.. healers will just have to keep you up and dps need to make sure not to over agro.

Tortos - your healers will hate not having a bat tank - recommendation is to have the healers come stack on you every time the bats come to help funnel them to you... range must NOT aoe (starfall type things) till the bats are all gathered... recomend light CD's so the snap doesn't bring you low, giving the life drain of bats more HP...

megarea - ... this is the FUN one solo tank.... like above said - can do it, but the melee are.... well... dead. or running in and out every 5-10 seconds to avoid each breath. You also will have less choice as to what heads you kill, as you can't let thier stacks get too high if solo tanking it, else the dmg is just too much.

ki-kun - easy to solo tank with 1-2 bubbles to drop stacks.

durumu - easy to solo tank with 1-2 bubbles to drop stacks.

primordious... ug... will be a bit of a pain, but can probably do it with buble + CR on tank for dropping stacks.

dark animus - probably won't get to this if this is your raids first time solo tanking... but probably doable - raid will have to kill the massive adds as the explosive stacks will add up fast - recommend NOT activating the boss till you have gotten the Massive adds down low

iron qon - easy to solo tank with 1-2 bubbles to drop stacks.

twins - not sure if possible, as the beast (de)buff will kill your healers when you are taking full boss dmg + the fire fan stacks get applied too quickly to bubble trick.

Lei shen - have no idea if you can cheat every decapitate tbh...

if you do solo tank it, let us know how it goes ;)

Non-heroic you can solo tank Twins by the skin of your teeth, although I think for pally tank it'd be fine, but you do kind of need some gear and good DPS.

And yes, there's a way to solo tank LS on 10.

Jin-rock - you 'can' heal through the static shock debuff... just going to hurt like a mofo. you are going to want to play bubble the stacks off if you can. (MUST have macro to press to remove the bubble from you and fellow Pallys)

When the boss throws you, you will loose agro - so some raid member will have to taunt the boss at range so he doesn't just 1 shot the melee that is second highest on threat. - figure out what CD's can be used so that you arn't stunned the full duration so you can taunt back asap.

you do not need a macro, if the paladin who gives you HoP instantly casts HoF afterwards, the bubble will be cleared, because of this only-one-hand-per-pala thing and HoF being able to be cast on targets with forbearance/not causing forbearance.

Edit:just appropiate, if you can live with the 7% mana of HoF

Edited by check0790