FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bruddawulf

Which Beast Master Pet Has Best DPS

Cats used to be the end all DPS for Hunters. So I am asking which Hunter Pet  is the Best Single Target DPS, Which is the Best for Multiple Targets and Which is the Best Overall?

For AoE I'm thinking the Chimeras simply because of the Frost Breath which can be used 3 times back to back at the start of combat, but since they basically screwed our pets it is hard to tell. Many sources tell me that the persons responsible for Icyveins really go all out and number crunch so I'm asking those Number Cruncher People to answer which pets are best, Single Target, AoE Tatgets & Overall.  Are certain pets better for instances than they are for raids, most BM Hunters have a Quillen for Battle-Rez, Spirit Beast for Self Heals, Core Hounds for Bloodlust-Heroism, then One to Two Other pets which would be the best DPSers available. So please let us know.

Thank you,

Bruddawulf-Stormrage <BlackStorm>

From Azor's BM Guide

As a Beast Mastery Hunter, two exotic pets have AoE abilities of their own. Using these pets for AoE will yield a DPS loss over following the multiple target rotation we gave at the start of this page, but we mention these two pets for completeness.

In other words, special abilities of these pets aren't worth using. 

Otherwise, all pets deal exactly the same AoE and single target DPS. You can use any pet, it doesn't matter. 

So you should base your pet choice on what your group needs currently. Mainly, you will be choosing between Bloodlust, Battle Ressurection. If your group has both of these in surplus, you can usy any Spirit Beast for a tiny amount of extra healing they provide.

Since the beginning Cats have been the best DPS pet without special abilities, that they made all pets basically equal is kind of a let down and makes pets worse then Warlock Pets. As a BM Hunter since 2004 I find all this disturbing to say the least. One thing I would like to know is has anyone who number crunches placed the Chimera AoE on a constant Channel for AoE Damage?  Declaring the AoE as lowering your DPS seems a bit premature without numbers to back it.  Remember DPS is primarily SINGLE TARGET BASED, so using Recount Damage vs DPS you see variety.  I've seen Raid Hunters who do Top Damage but are the Hunters that constantly change targets thus lowering their DPS but not their Damage.  You want to Top Off Recount DPS Meter in a Raid you change target as seldom as possible. The Worm Attack cannot be chain channeled and continue to spew out constant damage.  So it makes me wonder about the DPS lowering yes, because your hitting multiple targets, what we don't see in things like recount is AoE DPS.  Using the few Special Pets we have left a.k.a. Spirit Beasts [Spirit Mend], Core Hounds [Ancient Hysteria], Quilen's Battle Rez, (plus Non-Exotic Cranes & Moths), Nether Rays. 

I have to admit in writing this I have found out that we still obtained a NEW PARTY-RAID Pet that was never used before in the Nether Rays, which now have a Party-Raid Haste that grants 30% Haste for 40 seconds. So another Non-Exotic Pet having a Beast Mastery Only Ability.  Exotic Pets are no longer Exotic if ANY SPEC Hunter can have the same abilities as a BM Hunter.  Things need to change back even if ever so slightly.  Beast Mastery Needs to have Exotic Pets with Exotic Abilities that ONLY Beast Mastery Hunters can obtain, otherwise BM Hunters will fade into obscurity.

Froststorm Breath [Exotic Ability]

10 + 5 / sec Focus 35 yd range
Channeled  
The Chimera channels a frozen breath attack, causing [(0 + (Ranged attack power) * 0.144)] Froststorm damage every 2 sec for 8 sec to all enemies within 12 yards.

On 09/12/2016 at 3:40 PM, Bruddawulf said:

Since the beginning Cats have been the best DPS pet without special abilities, that they made all pets basically equal is kind of a let down and makes pets worse then Warlock Pets. As a BM Hunter since 2004 I find all this disturbing to say the least. One thing I would like to know is has anyone who number crunches placed the Chimera AoE on a constant Channel for AoE Damage?  Declaring the AoE as lowering your DPS seems a bit premature without numbers to back it.  

I have to admit in writing this I have found out that we still obtained a NEW PARTY-RAID Pet that was never used before in the Nether Rays, which now have a Party-Raid Haste that grants 30% Haste for 40 seconds.

/facepalm

First...(1) cats were best, then Moth for a very short window in WOTLK, then WOLF for the rest of wotlk....then all pets were made equal...this has been like this for 5+ years. 

Next, do you think Azor is going to state something without the numbers to back it up? You also dont need numbers...pure logic can work...when those pets use those aoe abilities they do not beast cleave....so...logic dictates? 

Nether Rays? New party raid pet? So...Heroism/blood lust is new?  This pet has had this ability for years. 

On 2/5/2018 at 11:36 PM, dandelione said:

what about mechanicals not having any more than base skills at all?

Please don't comment on an old thread (especially one that's over a year old) to ask a new question, just start your own thread.

We generally won't get notifications if you comment on an old post, but we will if you make a new one and it makes it easier to respond quickly.

• Like 1