FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Scott

Most in Demand Class

Coming back to Wow after about a 2 year break just wondering if there is 1 or 2 classes that are more in demand then others atm.

Thanks in advance

You're coming back at a volatile time where catch-up mechanics are pretty time consuming. What is your end-goal?

If you're looking to get into casual raiding, healers and tanks are almost always at a premium. Currently, Protection Paladins, Discipline Priests, and Mistweaver/Brewmaster Monks are very strong and are not terribly difficult to get into the groove. In terms of DPS, ranged are at a higher premium than melee. Frost Mages, Destruction Warlocks, Beast Mastery Hunters, and Frost DKs are played relatively easily and perform well at lower item levels. As you gain item levels, almost all of the DPS classes start to get close to each other depending on your skill and knowledge of the class.

If you're looking to get into hardcore raiding, you're going to find that elite players are preferred over any specific class. Simply find what you're good at and what you enjoy, excel at it, and you'll find a home.

Unfortunately, if you're just returning, there is a hefty amount of catch-up to do in order to bring you to a level playing field. In Mists of Pandaria, there is a lengthy legendary chain that results in small powerups of your character, but they are very time consuming and tied to RNG.

The first quest will involve you getting 10 Sigils of 2 different types. These drop randomly, albeit with a higher chance now than before, and usually takes between 3 and 4 weeks to obtain your necessary 20 Sigils of Strength and Wisdom. This will reward you a +500 stat gem that fits into any Sha-Touched weapon you can get from the T14 raids.

The second quest will involve you getting 3000 Valor points, down from 6000, so this should take a set 3 weeks exactly, although if you earn some Valor one week, it might span a total of 4 total 'weeks' in terms of reset periods. You can earn 1000 Valor per week. This will reward you with a secondary gem slot to fit in any weapon from any T14 or T15 raid. This reward is relatively minor, but still must be completed in the chain.

The third quest will involve you acquiring 20 Secrets of the Empire. These are a low to mid percentage chance drop from any boss in Throne of Thunder. If you had perfect RNG luck, it would take you 2 full weeks to acquire these 20. However, the approximate number you will acquire per week can range from a minimum of 0 (yes, that bad) up to the highest I've seen which is 8. This will be a lengthy process and might put you anywhere from 4-6 weeks in time needed. This will reward you with a very powerful meta gem which is almost required by guilds recruiting into heroic progression.

The fourth quest will involve you acquiring 12 Relics of the Thunder King. These have a similar drop rate of the Secrets, but they can only be acquired from the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th bosses of the Throne of Thunder raid. Lei Shen will always drop one, so you're looking at anywhere from a minumum of 2 weeks to a maximum of 12 weeks. I personally have gotten 5 in one week and 4 straight weeks of only the guaranteed 1. Completing this will reward you an item level 600 cloak which will boost your power beyond the normal thought of a simple cloak upgrade. It is a huge upgrade and will be upgraded further in 5.4.

If you're coming back, find something you love, because you will be spending a metric shit-ton of time working on this quest chain. Don't start it and abandon that character for a new one. Dive into something you really like because you do not want to start this chain over.

• Like 3

Thanks so much for your time great message. I have always loved my Paladin for tanking and healing both. Perhaps I will just stick with him and go from there.

The most fun I had in the game was 10 man heroic raids.

Paladins are always useful. Always. For the sake of being able to catch up, take Ret as an off-spec so you have some way to quest solo.

I started that chain over on a rogue because my guild needed one and it's been a huge pain catching up. 14/20 on secrets going into my fourth week and it feels like my average is 4 a week so it will take at least 2 more unless the RNJesus feels like cutting me some slack next tuesday. But, yeah, DPS is so similar at the higher end that I'd just pick something ranged and stick with it. Melee DPS, specially in 10 man groups, are more of a liability despite how well you play your class.

I started that chain over on a rogue because my guild needed one and it's been a huge pain catching up. 14/20 on secrets going into my fourth week and it feels like my average is 4 a week so it will take at least 2 more unless the RNJesus feels like cutting me some slack next tuesday. But, yeah, DPS is so similar at the higher end that I'd just pick something ranged and stick with it. Melee DPS, specially in 10 man groups, are more of a liability despite how well you play your class.

I don't see the reason to get stressed out over the legendary quest. It's not like SoO is going to be tuned around everybody having an ilv600 cloak with a cleave proc. It takes time, so it's a perk for those who have stayed subbed throughout the expansion and put in the time and effort - especially considering that it used to be considerably harder to complete due to groups failing at LFR runs, getting together a raid to kill the NPC in Krasarang Wilds, etc.