9 posts in this topic

Hello, so I started playing DK at the launch of legion, and have enjoyed it so far. I was initially unholy but then changed to frost recently, and am enjoying both specs except for one thing, namely my performance. So there are three frost DK's in my raid and lately the other two are always towards the top of the meter while I'm towards the bottom. There is no large gear difference (I think they both have a couple ilvls on me, but I have the legendary belt), so I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Upon looking at logs I found they both casted significantly more spells than me on all fronts (FS, obliterate, etc.). I also noticed that I need to keep icy talons up more, but can someone tell me why I'm casting so many fewer spells than them (there is no large haste difference, the armory has us all at 30something% haste, even though one of them (Hungerghost) and I only have 20something, and I'm sure the same applies to the other DK), or if there is some other problem, then what is it and how can I fix it? Thanks.

(will update these links if they're not working (I got an SSL error))

My armory: https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Crohost/&app=com-wow&opt

other DK (Hungerghost): https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/character/kalecgos/Hungerghost/&app=com-wow&opt

other DK (Selerot): https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/character/shattered-halls/Selerot/&app=com-wow&opt

My parsings page/all my logs (if you want to look at more): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/11054914/latest/

ToV Normal Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9JVdT8WK2Dn1f4wy

Mythic EN Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/GLJDKZ27b6P1pMvd

Heroic EN Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wrHQf6Wztx3gcGPa

Heroic ToV Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mGDLK2PWRN9C1ax8#fight=1 (note, I'm only in the first six pulls (AKA all the wipes) on Odyn)

Videos from ToV (they correspond with pulls 1 and 2 from the logs):

Pull 1: 

Pull 2: 

Alright, so I was looking through a lot of your logs i couldn't really find one where you wouldn't die before them (out of the logs you linked, not including the wipes on odyn I didn't look at those because wipes can very much so vary.) Xavius is the first one I find where you aren't dying before them, and on that pull it's because of you using Glacial advance while they are using Obliteration which allows for more casts. Which would still not lead to such a dependency in damage, so looking further into it. (also you RL doesn't use advance combat logging I would highly suggest you ask him to makes log easier to raid for me.) Just judging by what I can and what I see in the videos I'm guessing the biggest difference in your damages is your frozen pulse the other two dks seem to have a much higher uptime on their frozen pulsedoing in the realms of 4-6million more damage which is rather large. As you said Icy Talons as well. Your frost fever isn't 100% up time either around 91% on xavius heroic, you also didn't use the double Dragon, maybe not possible because of kill speed.Their trinkets are also better than yours to be honest. You also have some wasted rime procs would should if possible be avoided similar story with Killing Machine which should super be avoided.

Kind of a TLDR: Work on using procs more often, find better trinket, uptime on dot could/should be better, don't worry to much about the differences in casts honestly at least from the xavius log standpoint. Biggest difference between them and you is the difference in frozen pulse damage try and work on getting that up higher it'll vastly help you.

I noticed that you are not using potions, certainly one of the other DKs is using Old War on every pull... my guess is the difference may not necessarily be that great, but when Person #1 does all possible min/max things available.. it's pretty much a given that those unwilling or unable to do the same will be adrift by a noticeable factor regardless of skill or gear.

Also, looking at the video, you didn't seem to be spamming HB when out of melee range/during transitions... that alone could account for a large number of available FS missed by lack of RP.

Edited by Browed

@Drtain Thanks a lot, I hadn't thought of frozen pulse as a cause of damage. So essentially just use more runes so I have a higher uptime on frozen pulse, don't die, use obliteration on more fights, and have a better uptime on frost fever and icy talons, ok great, thanks.

@Browed Thank you as well. I do use potions on every fight, although there was a period where I would conserve them on fights where I was sure we wouldn't kill it since raiding this xpac has been so expensive, but I'm back on my feet financially so I use them all the time now (I use prolonged power though instead of old war). Ya, I should start using HB more when I'm out of range, thanks. 

Just want to state that prolonged power is the better potion.

1 person likes this

Potion of the old war after it's nerf became worse than prolonged power for both frost and unholy in single target and aoe. It's only better for some classes such as warriors because when they pop their warrior cry (I forget it's name apologizes) it allows them to get 100% crit chance with also applies to their potions. Dks don't have anything that would make the potion stronger which means it's benefit isn't that great.

Prolonged power raises your str for a minute, so your pet Timmy, your army of undead and your gargoyle are all buffed as well. 

Old war just buffs you. 

Therefore stick with the cheaper pot and drink it often. Its cost is not much and it will do wonders for your dps. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan

Meet the new threat of US-Illidan! Invective is a new raiding guild from Wildstar World First & US 2nd guilds Enigma & Subterfuge ready to shake up the Mythic race!
      Invective is a new Hardcore raiding guild from Wildstar World First & US 2nd guilds Enigma & Subterfuge. The guild wrote a mission statement on their website, where we learn more information about who they are and what plans they have when Tomb of Sargeras opens.
      The guild is based on Illidan (US) and plans to give other top guilds like Method, Exorsus or Limit a hard time racing for World Firsts. Invective's core members all derive from Hardcore Raiding MMO Wildstar and their Guild Master Sky has theorycrafting experience and many guilds followed his strategy guides in Wildstar. Wildstar's dying and Hardcore members were looking for a World of Warcraft guild, but none suited their needs and thus Invective came into existence.
      Tomb Schedule
      Invective plans to push and jump into next tier content as hard and much as they can.
      The guild will be day raiding the first day when Heroic Tomb opens, the second when servers go up They will be raiding the following 2 weeks every day, except Friday with raids starting up to 2 hours early and ending an hour or two later depending on the encounters Applicants
      Each applicant will be assessed directly and past achievements or logs have no value. All applications will go through a vocal interview and Mythic Keystone runs and an infinitely lasting trial that ends only when a player is up to their standards. The guild is currenctly recruiting all Classes and you can submit your application here.
      An ideal applicant
      Communicates through microphone, without it having any effect on gameplay Excels at to playing several classes and roles at top tier level Has flexible schedule / perfect attendance I've sat down with the Guild Master / Raid Leader of Invective Drunkbath and he answered some interesting questions ranging from the guild's current state up to preparation for the upcoming tier.
      How long have you been playing WoW since you transferred over from Wildstar?
      I hit level 110 on January 24, a week before Exorsus got the world first Gul'dan kill. The rest of the Wildstar people hit 110 another week or two after myself. Essentially, all the people from our Wildstar core (from Enigma & Subterfuge) hit 110 after the tier was over. We've only been playing for a short while, and I think a lot of people don't realize how much time and effort it takes to get a roster together to Mythic raid. As an experienced raider who day raided for 2 weeks straight in a successful world first environment I can truly say that roster boss will ALWAYS be the hardest boss in ANY game that requires over a dozen solid players that can dedicate the time we expect from our raiders. (We push raid hours till late, and start early as well). Some nights we would go until 3AM.
      How do you assess Nighthold in terms of difficulty / progression?
      Nighthold was extremely difficult for us, but not because of boss difficulty. The new Artifact system and Legendary loot system were HUGE time gates for us. I used a Blink Legendary (Belo'vir's Final Stand) on dps check bosses for days! To put it into perspective our first Skorp, Chrono, and Trill Mythic kills were half guild-half pug runs. And the 4th boss we decided to kill was Mythic Botanist. So our theory from logs was that Mythic Botanist in theory had the least dps check of the other bosses-- he was more of a mechanic check. With our Shamans' Totemic Revival and everybody getting P1+2 down solid, the fight was an easy number check but a hard mechanic check. Not to mention for our first kill half our roster was behind on AK and barely hitting 30-35 OLD artifact traits. It was pretty hard to get him since we kept trialing people and were mid forming the roster. The randomness of the Legendary loot system did not help either, since barely anybody had a best-in-slot combination of Legendaries for damage. If I had to put a finger on the hardest boss it would definitely be Gul'dan due to fight length-- though we killed it with nerfs I can only imagine having to get used to another 2minutes and the fel lord. The last phase is pretty easy, if all the simple tasks are done. I really enjoyed the strict positioning requirements the fight demanded. Time gate was in the end the hardest boss in the end, between roster boss time gate, legendary bis time gate, and artifact traits-- I don't know which was worse.
      How are the preparations for Tomb going? Have you been testing the raid out on PTR? Any particular fights you enjoy?
      We've been testing with an awesome US raiding guild Infinity-- they raid three days and do amazingly well for the amount of time they play the game. I highly recommend this guild for anybody that wants to achieve great things for a little amount of time put into the game in comparison to other hardcore guilds. One of the main reasons we came to WoW was because this expansion seems to have picked up its innovation and standards for its raids. There are a few notable fights in Tombs. I personally love the Sisters of The Moon encounter. The full moon mechanic is insanely creative, once again me and my positioning fetish... I have guides and docs for each fight (some are pure speculations, since we haven't tested them all yet, but you can figure a lot via the dungeon journal) but new fights are entertaining to experience.
      How many alts do players on your roster need to maintain? Is your roster complete? Are you filling in last spots? If so, which classes are open/closed for recruitment?
      We are currently recruiting ALL players that have high skill level, regardless of class. Class isn't a deal breaker since we are going to be doing 3 splits in Tombs (time gate new guild, only can do 3 effective splits) and 5 splits for tier 21. That would mean people need their Main character and 2 Alts of close/equal performance. In regards to our raiding schedule, our ideal applicant has a LOT of free time. I'm not here to convince people to quit their jobs or anything crazy like that. I could have forced a lot of people into this guild but I only want to have people that WANT to be here, that have the will power and their own idea of the guild. I am NOT responsible or going to influence your real life, our schedule is laid out flat and simple and if you can afford to personally make those times then great. We need decent players that can play their class and fulfill their roles in fights. People that can communicate clearly and calmly during hard progression pulls. People that can perform top numbers when the fights are NEW. Parsing months after fights are released and are on farm is not impressive. Seeing how people perform on PTR for example, is interesting and tells you a lot about your roster and what numbers they'd pull on equal gear footing as well as in new fights. We honestly just need more willing and available players, we could definitely use a boost to our Roster's quality, and as I said previously I vigorously recruit. I've poached a few semi-hard guild's Raid Leaders, since a raid leader has experience dealing with the social aspect of the game and even in a semi-hardcore guild when they just have themselves to worry about in a raid instead of an entire roster to lead, their performance sees a huge boost. They also fulfill roles and are the first to usually pickup mechanics and have good communication skills for fights. Unhappy with your guild you're leading? Join us! I want you!
      Any words about Patch 7.2.5?
      I am looking forward to 7.2.5. I am NOT expecting to hit world first, or even US 1st. Our alts are still time gated and our mains are as well when you compare our roster/player base to top guilds. I am super excited though to be somewhat competitive, as we should be with the amount of time we will be committing to the game. The Mythic raiding in WoW has definitely picked up its game in this expansion and that is EXACTLY why we came back to the game-- in hopes of more innovative and challenging raids. I think the developers of the game believe hardcore raiding is dead, but if I can get 150 people to fill out an application to the guild and go as far as all of them answering yes to "I will day raid" then there is definitely playerbase. It just needs to be done properly and Blizzard/WoW has the devs and the tools to do so. My hopes are high to see the rest of the fights, but ToS might be one of my favorite raids-- from environment and design to boss encounters. Push the limit of your old engine Blizz.
    • By clover

Imperium, on Bleeding Hollow, is a Horde guild whose members have been raiding together in some way, shape or form since Vanilla. We have now gone casual and are looking to field a full 30 heroic raid for Tomb of Sargeras.
      Qualified candidates should have the following: a solid history of raiding (even in the past), know how to play their class to the best of their ability, know how to do mechanics, enjoy the game and have a good time.

Currently recruiting the following:
      Healers DPS with tank os Ranged DPS
      All exceptional recruits are encouraged to apply regardless of class/spec.

Current Legion Progression
      7/7M EN 3/3H TOV 3/10M NH
      Other activities on off nights including m+, pvp, achievements, and alt runs.
      Raids: Tue/Wed 9pm-midnight EST
      Faction: Horde
      Realm: Bleeding Hollow-US
      Battle tag: clover#11874
      Discord: sephorae #7200
      http://www.imperium-guild.com

• By Starym

Well, we were all very impressed last week when we heard Cenarius Normal mode went down to a single Demon Hunter, even one as skilled as Mione, but this one probably tops it. The relative difficulty aside (not sure which fight is actually tougher to solo), Chronomatic Anomaly is in the currently active raid and it's on the second hardest difficulty available, making it another damn impressive feat. Next stop Gul'dan?
      No particular comments on this video, which could mean it wasn't as hard a fight as Cenarius or might not. In any case this kill somewhat overshadowed another recent one, the second visit to Emerald Nightmare and downing of a particularly pesky spider, whom Mione calls a "complete target dummy :') but still a relatively tight dps check".
      Here's the armory link for the 918 ilev Demon Hunter.
    • By Starym

June 13th will see the end of the third season of Legion PvP and if it follows the timing of Season 2 and patch 7.2  we may be seeing 7.2.5 as early as June 13th. That timing seems about right, as the ToS raid has been (tentatively) planned for "mid to late June" and the raid itself will probably come a week after the patch launch.
      Blizzard (source)
      The time is nearly at hand to bring Legion PvP Season 3 to a close for all Arena and Battleground competitors.
      Season 3 – End of Season Rewards
      If you participated in Season 3, to ensure you receive the rewards that you’re due, please keep the following in mind:
      Refrain from transferring your character(s) to another realm or faction until after Legion Season 3 has ended. Legion Season 3 titles and mounts will be awarded approximately two weeks after the season ends. Faction-Based Rewards
      Don’t forget—end-of-season rewards are based on your faction. If you transfer your character to the other faction, you must have 150 wins after your transfer to receive the reward.
      When the dust settles, where will you stand this season?
    • By Elithia
      Deathsworn Verdict

We are currently looking for DPS and Healers to bolster our mythic roster!
      Current progress: 9/10M NH, 3/3 TOV. Raid Times
       Wednesday: 20:45 – 00:00  Thursday: 20:45 – 00:00  Sunday: 20:45 – 00:00
      During progression, we occasionally extend to a Monday (20:45-00:00) raid if a boss kill is on the horizon.

Apply on our site at: http://deathswornverdict.enjin.com/
      Or contact me for further information: Elithia#2451 
      Deathsworn Verdict – Who Are We?

Deathsworn Verdict (Ravencrest) has been an active raiding guild since 2011 and over the years, we have always worked hard to progress through high-end content as a cohesive team. Raiding is only one side of the story for us, though. No day in Deathsworn Verdict goes without jokes and laughter, and we are immensely proud of the unique, inclusive guild atmosphere that we have cultivated.

What Can You Expect From Us?
       A humorous, unique social atmosphere that extends outside of raid times and outside of WoW.  Solid, focused mythic progression.  A range of off-raid activities, such as mythic+ groups and alt runs.
      What Do We Expect From You?
       Full preparation for each raid. This includes knowledge of the fight, correct gems and enchants as well as bringing consumables.  To have the drive to improve and be mature enough to handle constructive criticism.  To be able to communicate in English using a microphone + Discord.  We do not tolerate homophobia, sexism or racism in any form.