Frost DPS Help

9 posts in this topic

Hello, so I started playing DK at the launch of legion, and have enjoyed it so far. I was initially unholy but then changed to frost recently, and am enjoying both specs except for one thing, namely my performance. So there are three frost DK's in my raid and lately the other two are always towards the top of the meter while I'm towards the bottom. There is no large gear difference (I think they both have a couple ilvls on me, but I have the legendary belt), so I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Upon looking at logs I found they both casted significantly more spells than me on all fronts (FS, obliterate, etc.). I also noticed that I need to keep icy talons up more, but can someone tell me why I'm casting so many fewer spells than them (there is no large haste difference, the armory has us all at 30something% haste, even though one of them (Hungerghost) and I only have 20something, and I'm sure the same applies to the other DK), or if there is some other problem, then what is it and how can I fix it? Thanks.

(will update these links if they're not working (I got an SSL error))

My armory: https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Crohost/&app=com-wow&opt

other DK (Hungerghost): https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/character/kalecgos/Hungerghost/&app=com-wow&opt

other DK (Selerot): https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/character/shattered-halls/Selerot/&app=com-wow&opt

My parsings page/all my logs (if you want to look at more): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/11054914/latest/

ToV Normal Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9JVdT8WK2Dn1f4wy

Mythic EN Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/GLJDKZ27b6P1pMvd

Heroic EN Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wrHQf6Wztx3gcGPa

Heroic ToV Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mGDLK2PWRN9C1ax8#fight=1 (note, I'm only in the first six pulls (AKA all the wipes) on Odyn)

Videos from ToV (they correspond with pulls 1 and 2 from the logs):

Pull 1: 

Pull 2: 

Alright, so I was looking through a lot of your logs i couldn't really find one where you wouldn't die before them (out of the logs you linked, not including the wipes on odyn I didn't look at those because wipes can very much so vary.) Xavius is the first one I find where you aren't dying before them, and on that pull it's because of you using Glacial advance while they are using Obliteration which allows for more casts. Which would still not lead to such a dependency in damage, so looking further into it. (also you RL doesn't use advance combat logging I would highly suggest you ask him to makes log easier to raid for me.) Just judging by what I can and what I see in the videos I'm guessing the biggest difference in your damages is your frozen pulse the other two dks seem to have a much higher uptime on their frozen pulsedoing in the realms of 4-6million more damage which is rather large. As you said Icy Talons as well. Your frost fever isn't 100% up time either around 91% on xavius heroic, you also didn't use the double Dragon, maybe not possible because of kill speed.Their trinkets are also better than yours to be honest. You also have some wasted rime procs would should if possible be avoided similar story with Killing Machine which should super be avoided.

Kind of a TLDR: Work on using procs more often, find better trinket, uptime on dot could/should be better, don't worry to much about the differences in casts honestly at least from the xavius log standpoint. Biggest difference between them and you is the difference in frozen pulse damage try and work on getting that up higher it'll vastly help you.

I noticed that you are not using potions, certainly one of the other DKs is using Old War on every pull... my guess is the difference may not necessarily be that great, but when Person #1 does all possible min/max things available.. it's pretty much a given that those unwilling or unable to do the same will be adrift by a noticeable factor regardless of skill or gear.

Also, looking at the video, you didn't seem to be spamming HB when out of melee range/during transitions... that alone could account for a large number of available FS missed by lack of RP.

Edited by Browed

@Drtain Thanks a lot, I hadn't thought of frozen pulse as a cause of damage. So essentially just use more runes so I have a higher uptime on frozen pulse, don't die, use obliteration on more fights, and have a better uptime on frost fever and icy talons, ok great, thanks.

@Browed Thank you as well. I do use potions on every fight, although there was a period where I would conserve them on fights where I was sure we wouldn't kill it since raiding this xpac has been so expensive, but I'm back on my feet financially so I use them all the time now (I use prolonged power though instead of old war). Ya, I should start using HB more when I'm out of range, thanks. 

Potion of the old war after it's nerf became worse than prolonged power for both frost and unholy in single target and aoe. It's only better for some classes such as warriors because when they pop their warrior cry (I forget it's name apologizes) it allows them to get 100% crit chance with also applies to their potions. Dks don't have anything that would make the potion stronger which means it's benefit isn't that great.

Prolonged power raises your str for a minute, so your pet Timmy, your army of undead and your gargoyle are all buffed as well. 

Old war just buffs you. 

Therefore stick with the cheaper pot and drink it often. Its cost is not much and it will do wonders for your dps. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Narii625

SERVER: Illidan
      RAID TIMES: Fridays & Sundays 10pm - 1am Server Time.
      PROGRESSION: 2/11M, 11/11H
      LOOT STYLE: EPGP DKP Reloaded (What is EPGP?)
      CURRENTLY ACCEPTING (950+ ilvl)
      Tank All DPS (Healing offspec preferable but not required) Possibly accepting other roles! ABOUT US
      950+ ilvl to trial immediately, but we accept others.
      We are looking for skilled and laid back DPS and a Tank for Mythic Antorus.
      We're semi-casual in terms of time we spend raiding but serious about progression, attendance, and performance.
      We're a close-knit guild that hangs out in Discord a lot, joking, playing alts, Mythic+, other games or just hanging out. Fun guild events happen monthly!
      Overall, we're very social with guild members that actually talk to each other. (18+ required, we talk like pirates!)
      Fill out our Application form & add me on Battle.net and/or Discord! 
      Battle.net ID: LadyPluu#1299
      Discord ID: LadyPluu#4473
      Booty Pirates Website
    • By Stan

Our Battle for Azeroth content hub is filled to brim with useful information to get you started with WoW's latest expansion!
      Your source of the latest Battle for Azeroth news!
      Release Date
      World of Warcraft's latest expansion will be released on or before September 21, 2018.
      Pre-Purchase Battle for Azeroth
      If you pre-purchase the expansion, you'll get a level 110 boost and gain early access to four Allied Races. The Digital Deluxe Edition comes with various goodies in all Blizzard games except Diablo.
      Game Version Pricing Buy Link Standard Edition $49.99 // 44.99 EUR EU / US Digital Deluxe Edition $69.99 // 59.99 EUR EU / US Allied Races
      Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged Draenei, Nightborne and Void Elves are four Allied Races that can be unlocked before Battle for Azeroth goes live. Pre-purchasing the expansion won't unlock them though. They're gated behind Exalted reputation standing with Legion factions and achievements.
      If you boost an Allied Race character to level 110, you won't be able to receive Heritage armor.
      It's very likely that Blizzard removes the gating at some point before Battle for Azeroth launch. It would not make much sense having them gated behind old content.
      Allied Races Unlock Requirements
      Besides the requirements listed below, you must have at least one max level (110) character on the destination realm of your Allied Race character.
      Example: I want to create a Nightborne on Illidan and in order to do so, I must have a level 110 Horde character on the same realm.
      Allied Race Requirements Highmountain Tauren Ain't No Mountain High Enough + Exalted with Highmountain Tribe  Lightforged Draenei You Are Now Prepared! + Exalted with Army of the Light Nightborne Insurrection + Exalted with the Nightfallen Void Elf You Are Now Prepared! + Exalted with Argussian Reach Allied Races in Battle for Azeroth
      Four Allied Races have been confirmed so far. The Alliance will be able to unlock Dark Iron Dwarves and Kul Tirans, whereas the Horde can convince Mag'har Orcs and Zandalari Trolls to join the faction. The aforementioned Allied Races will be gated behind Battle for Azeroth content and can't be unlocked before launch. So far, we looked at Dark Iron Dwarves, their totems, customization options of Kul Tiran Humans and Zandalari Troll Druid forms.
      Kul Tiran Customization Options Kul Tiran Druid Bear Forms Dark Iron Dwarves Preview Dark Iron Dwarf Shaman Totems Zandalari Troll Druid Forms Zandalari Troll Shaman Totems Build Highlights
      Battle for Azeroth is currently in Alpha. We have overviews with creature models, items and latest changes:
      Battle for Azeroth Alpha Build 26231 Highlights Battle for Azeroth Alpha Build 26175 Highlights Battle for Azeroth Alpha Build 26131 Highlights Battle for Azeroth Alpha Build 26032 Creature Models Battle for Azeroth Alpha Build 26095 Highlights Battle for Azeroth Alpha Build 25976 Highlights Class Changes
      In the latest dev watercooler, Blizzard talked about Class design philosophy in Battle for Azeroth. There's a new BfA build every week and we keep track of all talent changes here. A detailed overview for every build can be found below:
      Alpha Build 26231 Talent Changes Alpha Build 26175 Talent Changes Alpha Build 26131 Talent Changes Alpha Build 26095 Talent Changes Alpha Build 26032 Talent Changes Alpha Build 25976 Talent Changes In addition to that, Hunters can no longer change a Pet's specialization in Battle for Azeroth.
      Ten new dungeons will be added to the game in BfA. We looked at Dungeon Journal entries and compared item levels of loot rewards after the squish.
      Heart of Azeroth
      With the removal of Artifact weapons and traits, all players will receive a Legendary neckpiece called Heart of Azeroth. The main goal is to collect Azerite (Artifact power) and empower it in order to unlock Azerite armor traits.
      Heart of Azeroth Explained Legacy Loot Mode
      Personal Loot used in dungeons since Patch 7.3.5 was not well received by transmog collectors. Blizzard is trying to fix it with the introduction of Legacy Loot mode.
      If you're an avid mount collector, Battle for Azeroth will most definitely not disappoint you. Plenty of cool mounts are coming and we covered the following flying/ground mounts so far:
      Basilisk PvP Mounts Bee Mounts Bloodfeaster Mounts Brutosaur Mount Crawg Mounts Frog Mounts Goblin Hovercraft Mounts Hyena Mounts Parrot Mounts Proto-drake Mounts Raptor Mounts Vulture Mounts Mythic Keystone Changes
      No huge changes are planned for the Mythic Keystone system. It has been received well in Legion. We datamined some spells related to Mythic Keystone customization and a new (possibly level 10) affix.  Tyrannical & Fortified affixes will be moved to level 2 Keystones to avoid awkward power spikes.
      Mythic Keystone Customization New Mythic Affixes Profession Changes
      Most First Aid recipes have been moved to Tailoring and achievements are now Feats of Strength, hinting at a possible removal of First Aid. An early look at Profession changes and new recipes can be found here.
      Game Director Ion Hazzikostas is periodically answering your Battle for Azeroth questions. The latest Q/A was conducted last week.
      Battle for Azeroth Live Developer Q/A (March 15) Battle for Azeroth Live Developer Q/A (January 30) Raids
      Uldir will be the first raid of the expansion. We previewed early Dungeon Journal entries and found out that Blood God G'huun is the final boss of the raid. In a future raid (probably a Nighthold equivalent in BfA), we're going to fight Azshara. 
      Uldir Raid Encounters Upright Orcs
      Male Orcs can adjust their posture in Battle for Azeroth. 
      How to Create Upright Orcs Upright Orcs Overview Visuals
      Hunters and Warlocks received new spell animations.
      Hunter Spell Animations Warlock Spell Animations
    • By Stan

An overview of all micro-holidays in 2018.
      Here's a schedule of all micro-holidays for this year. For more details about what's coming near the end of the month, check out This Month in WoW and our This Week in WoW series.
      Blizzard (Source)
      A new addition to Legion is what we’re calling micro-holidays. Each one is meant to make the world feel more alive without making players feel like they need to participate for big rewards—while still providing some more variety and fun.

To commemorate the first ringing of the Scarab Gong on January 23, 2006, players will be able to relive a portion of the Ahn’Qiraj gate opening by collecting items for turn-in. The winning faction will then be able to claim bragging rights and have their faction flag hang over the gates until the next Call of the Scarab micro-holiday event.

The mages of Azeroth like to relax, too. Hop into a portal at your local watering hole and join the Tavern Crawl!

Those who head to Feralas will be able to bear witness to the yearly hatching of the hippogryphs. You may even make a little friend for the day.

Dinosaurs are running amok in Un’Goro. Help quell the rampage and you’ll be awarded some temporary evolution buffs.

Each year, the Winterfin murlocs allow their tadpoles free reign over their village. You can make a difference by adopting your favorite, feeding it, and protecting it from nearby predators.

Step into the shoes of a guard in the major cities with a /salute and you’ll get to serve and protect the city just like them. Stay vigilant and watch out for any invaders.

Several of Azeroth’s characters – some of whom you might recognize – are giving tours of Azeroth in their hot air balloons. You’ll enjoy their commentary and interact with other citizens as you take in the scenery.

Head to Sporeggar in Zangarmarsh, collect some rare mushrooms, and help the sporelings heal the great mushroom, Fshoo. You’ll gain a bit of Sporeggar reputation for helping them out.

Thousand Needles is where the biggest bash on boats can be found in Azeroth. It’s a chance to unwind a little, away from the lurking danger of the Burning Legion.

The main auction houses in Orgrimmar and Stormwind have been cleaned out and turned into dance parties for the day! Crowd on in and show some faction pride!

The mages of Azeroth like to relax, too. Hop into a portal at your local watering hole and join the Tavern Crawl!

A wonderful celebration of all things Moonkin is happening today in Moonglade. Stop by and see what you can learn!.
      These holidays are just the beginning and we’ll be adding more even beyond the patch so keep an eye on the calendar!
    • By LazioB
      Hi everyone! This is my first time playing endgame content, thanks to some veteran friends who invited me to play with them. I started with a Fury Warrior, and now that I feel comfortable, I started logging the runs. 

Here is a part of Antorus Normal ( I accidentaly deleted the file later which included the rest of the bosses :( ) 

Would anyone please take a look at it to see where I have room for improvement (probably everything) and how can I tackle those issues?

PD: Im lacking one of the BiS leggos, and ever since I have the Convergance of Fates trinket, I lost my rotation, cant seem to find when to fire each ability now.
    • By Javalvik
      <Exo> is an old guild from Dragonblight which semi-recently transferred to Stormrage in search of mythic raiders. We are a guild full of experienced raiders always looking to expand our roster. 
      We are not a world first guild nor do we aim to be. Our primary goal is to get loot and have a good time, however this still means on progression nights we do expect you to show up, put on your serious face, and kill some shit.
      Our raids are on 3 nights a week; Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 9pm-12 Server Time (EST). The Monday raids are optional farm/alt nights (Normal/Heroic) with Tuesday/Wednesday being mandatory progression nights.
      Currently we are in need of any competent DPS, off specs are always a welcome addition but not required. Performance and skill will be looked at above gear, experience, or class.
      We do not have a minimum item level required to join our raid team, however we will require you to catch up in our Monday farm-runs up until you are at a mythic level.
      If you have any questions or are interested in joining or trialing with us please add Pasha#1800, Java#1849 or Bushido#1988 on bnet to talk with an officer.