FORUMS

Hello, so I started playing DK at the launch of legion, and have enjoyed it so far. I was initially unholy but then changed to frost recently, and am enjoying both specs except for one thing, namely my performance. So there are three frost DK's in my raid and lately the other two are always towards the top of the meter while I'm towards the bottom. There is no large gear difference (I think they both have a couple ilvls on me, but I have the legendary belt), so I was wondering what I was doing wrong. Upon looking at logs I found they both casted significantly more spells than me on all fronts (FS, obliterate, etc.). I also noticed that I need to keep icy talons up more, but can someone tell me why I'm casting so many fewer spells than them (there is no large haste difference, the armory has us all at 30something% haste, even though one of them (Hungerghost) and I only have 20something, and I'm sure the same applies to the other DK), or if there is some other problem, then what is it and how can I fix it? Thanks.

(will update these links if they're not working (I got an SSL error))

My armory: https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/deathwing/Crohost/&app=com-wow&opt

other DK (Hungerghost): https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/character/kalecgos/Hungerghost/&app=com-wow&opt

other DK (Selerot): https://us.battle.net/login/en/?ref=http://us.battle.net/wow/character/shattered-halls/Selerot/&app=com-wow&opt

My parsings page/all my logs (if you want to look at more): https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/11054914/latest/

ToV Normal Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9JVdT8WK2Dn1f4wy

Mythic EN Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/GLJDKZ27b6P1pMvd

Heroic EN Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/wrHQf6Wztx3gcGPa

Heroic ToV Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mGDLK2PWRN9C1ax8#fight=1 (note, I'm only in the first six pulls (AKA all the wipes) on Odyn)

Videos from ToV (they correspond with pulls 1 and 2 from the logs):

Pull 1: 

Pull 2: 

Alright, so I was looking through a lot of your logs i couldn't really find one where you wouldn't die before them (out of the logs you linked, not including the wipes on odyn I didn't look at those because wipes can very much so vary.) Xavius is the first one I find where you aren't dying before them, and on that pull it's because of you using Glacial advance while they are using Obliteration which allows for more casts. Which would still not lead to such a dependency in damage, so looking further into it. (also you RL doesn't use advance combat logging I would highly suggest you ask him to makes log easier to raid for me.) Just judging by what I can and what I see in the videos I'm guessing the biggest difference in your damages is your frozen pulse the other two dks seem to have a much higher uptime on their frozen pulsedoing in the realms of 4-6million more damage which is rather large. As you said Icy Talons as well. Your frost fever isn't 100% up time either around 91% on xavius heroic, you also didn't use the double Dragon, maybe not possible because of kill speed.Their trinkets are also better than yours to be honest. You also have some wasted rime procs would should if possible be avoided similar story with Killing Machine which should super be avoided.

Kind of a TLDR: Work on using procs more often, find better trinket, uptime on dot could/should be better, don't worry to much about the differences in casts honestly at least from the xavius log standpoint. Biggest difference between them and you is the difference in frozen pulse damage try and work on getting that up higher it'll vastly help you.

I noticed that you are not using potions, certainly one of the other DKs is using Old War on every pull... my guess is the difference may not necessarily be that great, but when Person #1 does all possible min/max things available.. it's pretty much a given that those unwilling or unable to do the same will be adrift by a noticeable factor regardless of skill or gear.

Also, looking at the video, you didn't seem to be spamming HB when out of melee range/during transitions... that alone could account for a large number of available FS missed by lack of RP.

Edited by Browed

@Drtain Thanks a lot, I hadn't thought of frozen pulse as a cause of damage. So essentially just use more runes so I have a higher uptime on frozen pulse, don't die, use obliteration on more fights, and have a better uptime on frost fever and icy talons, ok great, thanks.

@Browed Thank you as well. I do use potions on every fight, although there was a period where I would conserve them on fights where I was sure we wouldn't kill it since raiding this xpac has been so expensive, but I'm back on my feet financially so I use them all the time now (I use prolonged power though instead of old war). Ya, I should start using HB more when I'm out of range, thanks. 

Potion of the old war after it's nerf became worse than prolonged power for both frost and unholy in single target and aoe. It's only better for some classes such as warriors because when they pop their warrior cry (I forget it's name apologizes) it allows them to get 100% crit chance with also applies to their potions. Dks don't have anything that would make the potion stronger which means it's benefit isn't that great.

Prolonged power raises your str for a minute, so your pet Timmy, your army of undead and your gargoyle are all buffed as well. 

Old war just buffs you. 

Therefore stick with the cheaper pot and drink it often. Its cost is not much and it will do wonders for your dps. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      Monks are a class that did not receive many changes on the Shadowlands Beta until very late in the cycle. We're checking out the latest round of Monk changes, one month ahead of Shadowlands release.
      Highlights
      Energizing Elixir has been removed from the global cooldown. Blizzard is aware of balance concerns Windwalker Monks have about dual-wield and Two-Handed weapons, and they are considering different options to address the problem, but they've got nothing to share at this time.  They are also aware of bugs related to Storm, Earth, and Fire in relation to other spells. They are looking to improve the reliability of the ability in future Beta builds. Weapons of Order (Kyrian Covenant Ability) has been redesigned for WW Monks. Multiple Legendary Powers have been tweaked. Monk
      Faeline Stomp (Night Fae Covenant Ability) now deals damage (or heals if Mistweaver) to targets in front of the Monk when cast and continues to deal damage to targets caught in the Faelines. Spinning Crane Kick now caps at 6 unique targets (was 5), dealing up to 60% damage (was 50%). Weapons of Order (Kyrian Covenant Ability) Brewmaster: For the next 30 seconds, your Mastery is increased by 10%. Additionally, Keg Smash cooldown is reset instantly and enemies hit by the ability take 5% increased damage from you for 8 seconds, stacking up to 5 times; Mistweaver: For the next 30 seconds, your Mastery is increased by 10%. Additionally, Essence Font cooldown is reset instantly and heals up to 6 nearby allies for (30% of Spell Power) Health on channel start and end; Windwalker: For the next 30 seconds, your Mastery is increased by 10% 13%. Additionally, Rising Sun Kick cooldown is reset instantly and your Rising Sun Kick reduces the cost of your Chi Abilities by 1 for 5 seconds, and Blackout Kick reduces the cooldown of affected abilities by an additional 1 second. Mistweaver
      Ancient Teachings of the Monastery (Legendary Power) - Your Tiger Palm, Blackout Kick, and Rising Sun Kick heal an injured ally within 20 yards for 120% of the damage done to an injured ally within 20 yards. Enveloping Breath - While active, Yu'lon and Chi'Ji heal nearby targets with Enveloping Breath when you cast Enveloping Mist, healing for [ 30% 180% of Spell Power ] over 6 sec, and increasing the healing they receive from you by 10%. Tear of Morning (Legendary Power) - Renewing Mist applies Extended Life to the initial target, instantly healing them for 145% of Holy Spell Power and increasing all healing done to them increases your healing done to the target by 15% for 12 seconds. When you heal with Enveloping Mist or Vivify, 50% of the heal is also applied to targets within your Extend Life effect. 25% of your Enveloping Mist and Vivify healing is also applied to all targets with Tear of Morning. Windwalker
      Haste now affects the periodic of Crackling Tiger Lightning. Energizing Elixir (Level 45 Talent) has been moved off the global cooldown. Blizzard has fixed a bug where Rising Sun Kick and Whirling Dragon Punch weren't contributing to Xuen's Empowered Tiger Lightning. Rising Sun Kick (Rank 2) restored. Increases the damage of Rising Sun Kick by 70%.
    • By Stan
      The latest Mage class changes from Shadowlands Beta revolve around Venthyr Covenant Ability and Legendary Power tuning.
      Mage
      Mirrors of Torment has been updated to grant you Brain Freeze, Fire Blast cooldown reduction, or Mana when a mirror is consumed, based on your current specialization. It can now proc from auto-attacks, but can only occur once every 6 seconds.
      Mirrors of Torment (Venthyr Covenant Ability) Arcane: Conjures 3 mirrors to torment the enemy for 20 25 seconds. Whenever the target attacks, casts a spell or ability, a mirror is consumed to inflict (75% 60% of Spell Power) Shadow damage and their movement and cast speed are slowed by 15%. The final mirror will instead inflict (198% 151% of Spell Power) Shadow damage to the enemy, Rooting and Silencing them for 4 seconds. Whenever a mirror is consumed, you gain 4% mana. Fire: Arcane: Conjures 3 mirrors to torment the enemy for 20 25 seconds. Whenever the target attacks, casts a spell or ability, a mirror is consumed to inflict (75% 60% of Spell Power) Shadow damage and their movement and cast speed are slowed by 15%. The final mirror will instead inflict (198% 151% of Spell Power) Shadow damage to the enemy, Rooting and Silencing them for 4 seconds. Whenever a mirror is consumed your Fire Blast cooldown is reduced by 4 seconds. Frost: Arcane: Conjures 3 mirrors to torment the enemy for 20 25 seconds. Whenever the target attacks, casts a spell or ability, a mirror is consumed to inflict (75% 60% of Spell Power) Shadow damage and their movement and cast speed are slowed by 15%. The final mirror will instead inflict (198% 151% of Spell Power) Shadow damage to the enemy, Rooting and Silencing them for 4 seconds. Whenever a mirror is consumed you gain Brain Freeze. Fire
      Fevered Incantation (Legendary Power) - Each consecutive Critical Strike you deal increases Critical Strike damage you deal by 2% up to 10%.
    • By Starym
      He's at it again... This time around it's a ridiculous amount of healing, but only outside of Kul Tiras and Zandalar, and only for Alliance players. The main ingredient for this particular crazy stunt is the Gently Squeezed Toad, which you can summon every few seconds, then attack for over a million damage due to the damage aura that makes you deal more damage to low level mobs. And that's it, you just need some amount of leech to get crazy healing very often, with 500K individual heals and around 50-60K HPS with about 30% leech in Rextroy's specific example! The only problem is, this only works for Alliance, as the toy is only sold by Old Loola in the WoD Ally garrison and is BoP, so Horde need not apply.

Check out the full video for the details, especially focusing on the World PvP uses:
      Here are more details on the technique, including a useful macro!
    • By Stan
      Redditor EternalDawnbt has recreated the Tomb of Sargeras in Minecraft.
      The author also released the map for download on Planet Minecraft, so you can explore it in single-player mode!
      Source: Reddit
    • By Stan
      Reddit user Granny_knows_best spotted that using Rime of the Time-Lost Mariner gives you a hat in Flight Form. Another Redditor found out it also works in flapping Moonkin Form.
      Rime of the Time-Lost Mariner is a toy that has a chance to drop from Dread Ship Vazuvius on Timeless Isle. When used, you get transformed into a skeleton, but Druids will receive a hat in Flight Form.

Druid in Flight Form receives a hat from Rime of the Time-Lost Mariner.
      Furthermore, Redditor DonSerrot confirmed this also works with Legion's Archdruid's Lunarwing Form and flapping Moonkin Form.

Source: Reddit