FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Nalar

Demo lock (with logs) needs help

hi guys , I'm in a troubled place , and I need your help,

ive simmed my lock and should be doing a lot more dps than what I am doing at the moment , but I'm no where near this figure,

logs : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2pm4Gv7Bg6VrkPCq/#boss=-3

Battle.net http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Nalar/simple

one desparate lock in need of help , could be stats , could be anything , but need help ,

Regards

Nalar

57 minutes ago, Nalar said:

hi guys , I'm in a troubled place , and I need your help,

ive simmed my lock and should be doing a lot more dps than what I am doing at the moment , but I'm no where near this figure,

logs : https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/2pm4Gv7Bg6VrkPCq/#boss=-3

Battle.net http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/bloodhoof/Nalar/simple

one desparate lock in need of help , could be stats , could be anything , but need help ,

Regards

Nalar

Hi Nalar,

I'll take a better look tomorrow but most obvious issue (apart from the above) is your casting gaps. Go to each boss log (for each spec) and the "Casts" section. Then click on each spell except TKD (as this a passive but for some reason always comes up as a cast). You see all those gaps? That is when you are doing nothing and for Demo particularly every single lost global is less pets. Less pets mean lower DB damage (as it is based on the amount of pets active), lower amount of DB casts and possibly also missed Doom damage as it falls off or you have to reapply it manually. So work on minimising movement but if you really have to move then use Demonwrath.  

You are not doing too badly on the ST fights for your item level. Just need to tighten the rotation up and your 35th point will help a lot. I will have a more in depth look later. 

no problem , anything that can help me ,I do know I have movement issues and it hurts dps badly, but anything else will be advantageous , thankyou so far , waiting in anticipation.

Nalar

Edited by Nalar

7 minutes ago, Nalar said:

no problem , anything that can help me ,I do know I have movement issues and it hurts my dps badly, thankyou so far , waiting in anticipation.

Nalar

Is it just the Demo fights you are concerned with or for all specs?

5 hours ago, Nalar said:

Just demo spec please, as that's our highest dps spec?.

was trying other specs on other bosses to se what it was like.

Demo is our highest DPS on single target (ST) patchwerk/light movement. Once you start having to move a lot (so to be clear I am not taking Nythendra or Ursoc etc) and perhaps do not cope very well with it as well there is a point where Destro and Affliction will take over even though they are very poor on ST.

Personally, on heroic, I play Destro on Dragons, Il'gynoth, Cenarius, Xavius, Odyn and Heyla as it is very strong at cleaving/bursting adds while not losing much ST damage. It does depend on your raid group though. Our ST and AoE damage is pretty good overall but we are very ranged light and sometimes we have/have had issues killing certain adds hence Destro wins out for me. However, you can make Demo work on any boss if that is your preference and/or you wish to stick to one spec and then rock the ST aspect. 

Log time. So casting gaps.  I am still not that great with the movement thing but it is a learned skill (for most people) and can be improved a lot. Think carefully before each fight about the best positioning, whether you really need to cancel your cast to move straight away and whether your gateway and circle would be useful. Then if really have to move be clear on what you will cast (Lifetap if near/under 70% MP and then Demonwrath). As soon as you stop moving then know what you need to cast next in your rotation.

Like Locky says cast HoG on 4 (or 5) shards only.

One missed Dreads, one missed TKC. 

Lots of missed DB chances (the movement thing).

2 missed Felstorms (doesn't really matter on ST but it does on fights with adds so something to watch).

Only one potion use. 

Though you had decent burst your opener is not optimal. Check out the guide over on MMO-Champion for the DC opener. You also forgot DE post first Dogs,

TKC. Ideally you want 2 HoGs and Dogs (and then Doomguard when available) in every one. First one you had no dogs in it (so yeah really work on that opener). Remember TKC is calculated on cast end so your pets have to be alive. 2nd TKC no DE after the pets. The others look decent though.  

Combine summons more. You should always be able to do Doomguard with something (you didn't in your opener). Then DC proc with a 4 HoG when the stars align (you can sometimes help this with a lIfetap).

Always cast DE after a summon (or a summon-summon-DE), you missed this at least 6 times over the course of the Nythendra fight (or it was very late as perhaps you had to move though I watched your reply and you didn't actually move that much).

Ursoc main issue (apart from the above  which will show on every fight) was a major lack of casts. Ursoc movement is totally planned. Move on your instants (not that we have that many as Demo) and learn to Demonwrath. Your issue may not just be movement related but also more of a overwhelmed type thing (or at least mine was).

So when you get on a fight where a lot is happening you forget your rotation and don't cast/forget to cast again when you stop. That's where the practice bit comes in so you can do your stuff perfectly without thinking about it and just deal with mechanics. 

Like I said you are doing decent and Demo takes many people (myself included) a long time to really get to grips with. Things need tightening up so go practice and things should start to come together very nicely. Once you have the ST stuff down you should find the multi-target stuff falls into place more too.

Good luck

Disclaimer: Always may be errors.

much appreciated on the feedback , ill try to do what I am failing on.

just seen the opener on mmo-champion and was wondering when and how to incorporate the doomguard  better and the rotation has hit the nail on the head, been doing some WQ's just to try out the opener and its more fluid than what I have been doing , so thankyou on pointing me in that direction.

for flask I have the 2 hour buff so I don't need a lot of flasks when raiding :D

since you have said about cast times I've also noticed that you have to be one step ahead of the casts , maybe that what I have noticed will close my cast time gaps ?

1 last thing I know I said about demo only but what talents do you run with when raiding destro?

Edited by Nalar

On 15/12/2016 at 4:24 PM, Nalar said:

much appreciated on the feedback , ill try to do what I am failing on.

just seen the opener on mmo-champion and was wondering when and how to incorporate the doomguard  better and the rotation has hit the nail on the head, been doing some WQ's just to try out the opener and its more fluid than what I have been doing , so thankyou on pointing me in that direction.

for flask I have the 2 hour buff so I don't need a lot of flasks when raiding :D

since you have said about cast times I've also noticed that you have to be one step ahead of the casts , maybe that what I have noticed will close my cast time gaps ?

1 last thing I know I said about demo only but what talents do you run with when raiding destro?

Ah I had read this but I think you edited it after or I hope to think I would have replied to your questions. Glad to hear your opener is going better. It should give you both better burst and higher damage which will you keep you high much longer into the fight. 

Yeah for any lock spec and class too probably you want to know what you will be casting next (especially after moving) and spamming that key (ideally using keybinds and not clicking). You may only be gaining say 10th of a second (perhaps much more) here and there but when you think how many casts you do over a course of a medium/long fight that does add up and give you more globals=more DBs=more Imps=higher DB Dmg. If perhaps you get a little overwhelmed in the fight and lost in your rotation safest best is to spam DB until you find your way again. Much better than not casting at all though ideally you don't want to stay capped etc on shards either.

For Destro is depends on the fight. As you play Demo then it's better to use that on ST (unless you just want to practice the Destro stuff on farm).

Typical cleave build is: 1111131

Most common single target (ST) build: 1111123

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/10#difficulty=4&boss=1853&class=Warlock&spec=Destruction Click through the different bosses and you can see the most common talent set up of the best parsing logs. Be aware though they are not necessarily always the best talents for progress but it will give you a rough guide of what people choose.

Just for the record Roaring Blaze (if you do not target switch much), Mana Tap and possibly GoSup (on ST only with low movement) sim higher however they commonly seen as awful to play with so most people choose not to. So yes read around a bit, use Discord etc so you make informed decisions.

Feel free to change the utility talents if you do have a preference for Burning Rush etc.  Ask if you have any questions. If you feel the need post some more Demo logs say in 2 weeks for another review. I'd be happy to do a Destro one before (not experienced enough with Affliction to do more than a quick comparison but Locky or someone else can probably sort you out with that).