FORUMS
Crozzer

Mobile takeover ads

First, great site. Thank you.

yesterday, your ad provide let through a couple of takeover ads. Meaning, modal dialog covering the screen and content.

very disruptive, deceptive, annoying.

these were for some kind of "lucky site drawing winner" or something.

I'm on an iPhone 6, safari.

thought your revenue team might contact your ad provide and be sure to block these types of ads.

cheers,

crosby

We'll definitely look into this. Thanks for letting us know and giving us all the info :) If this ever happens again, make sure to report it to us with the same information. Hopefully it won't!

Sorry about that :( Could you please tell us where you are browsing from? Also, if you had a screenshot, it'd be awesome.

This happened to me tonight. I was browsing on my Huawei Nexus 6P in Australia. I don't believe I clicked on anything, but my have accidentally when trying to scroll.Screenshot_20170113-195250.png

13 hours ago, JohnnyZ said:

So I tired going back to see where it would land and got this:

Screenshot_20170113-204436.png

Thanks for the report, this is going to help immensely!

@Damien I'm glad to help. I used to get overlays that blocked what I was looking at, but I wasn't active on the forums back then. I'll keep reporting any trouble I have with ads.

Cheers

I'll make sure Damien takes a look, Johnny. Thanks for posting these here, it honestly does help us a great deal. I know that it can get tiring dealing with these invasive ads, so we're doing our best to make sure they disappear! (It definitely is better than it used to be, even if it doesn't seem so!)

Thanks guys. I know it is better than it was. I'm just glad you're taking this so seriously. There used to be scrolling banners that just overlaid the content. Made it hard to read anything. Anyway, I'm patient and and I know it is being attended to. Should I keep posting if I keep experiencing them, or do you think that's enough info to sort it out? Cheers!

1 hour ago, JohnnyZ said:

Thanks guys. I know it is better than it was. I'm just glad you're taking this so seriously. There used to be scrolling banners that just overlaid the content. Made it hard to read anything. Anyway, I'm patient and and I know it is being attended to. Should I keep posting if I keep experiencing them, or do you think that's enough info to sort it out? Cheers!

Absolutely! We're looking into every single report.

16 hours ago, JohnnyZ said:

Have you seen the scrolling banners recently? We changed ad agency on the 1st of January and these banners should have disappeared.

Regarding the mobile ads, I feel as if I should give you some explanations as to why they are on the website.

We work with an ad agency and they are plugged into a number of "ad marketplaces". When a page is displayed, the highest bidder from all the advertisers from all these marketplaces (for each of the ad slots we have) gets the "impression".

January is the lowest month of the year in terms of advertising rates, so this is when the bids are the lowest. This causes low paying ads (of which these redirect/pop up ads are a part of) to bid on our website and sometimes even win the auction. Our ad agency has a huge list of filters and blocks to prevent these ads from showing on the website. The problem is that we only see these ads a few weeks per year, because by mid February, advertising rates pick up and these ads can no longer compete. By the time the next year comes, the abusive advertisers that submit these ads have improved the way they avoid detection and the cat and mouse game starts over.

So we investigate every report we received, forward them to the ad agency, who adds more rules to their filters and notify the marketplace where the ad came from.

• Like 1

@Damien thanks for the explanation. No, I haven't seen the scrolling banners in what feels like even longer than since1 Jan. If this is a bit of an arms race, I'll keep filing my reports. Cheers.

I've got a new one:

https://www.oz-offers.com/_static/_supload/bba/Prelander/Wingame/59/OZ_offers_Woolworths_PK220/OO_WW_PK220.html?offer_id=2722&aff_id=5638&url_id=9644&aff_sub2=49170120101efao57c3d1c08c829d3ac&aff_sub=2652

Mobile Huawei Nexus 6P, direct browsing on latest version of chrome, whilst in forums, first time I've gotten this ad. Where the others took over the current tab and I couldn't go "back" to IV, this one opened a new tab and one click of the back button closed it and returned me to IV. 2k worth of groceries would be handy, tho...

Screenshot_20170120-213937.png

• Like 1

Made an account just to post this, the site is almost unusable on mobile for me lately, Galaxy S7. I get redirected about every other time I visit. Only have pictures on the most recent, I'll save more if it keep happening. 

Screenshot_20180202-075324.png

Screenshot_20180202-075329.png

On 2/2/2018 at 4:03 PM, DeviceThrall said:

Made an account just to post this, the site is almost unusable on mobile for me lately, Galaxy S7. I get redirected about every other time I visit. Only have pictures on the most recent, I'll save more if it keep happening. 

Screenshot_20180202-075324.png

Screenshot_20180202-075329.png

Sorry about that and thanks for the report. Chrome 64 beta is on Google Play, do you think you could please try and install it to see if it prevents these redirects? (it should, as it has a new built-in adblocker to take care of these). I'm also going to report it in hope it gets fixed soon...

• Like 1

Right now the website ist not usable on the mobile phone because of the ad. can't do anything against it.
As then, there is an ad taking over redirecting to another "you won" page.

Edit: Using a browser with ad blocking right now. 

Edited by nevermind7

9 hours ago, nevermind7 said:

Right now the website ist not usable on the mobile phone because of the ad. can't do anything against it.
As then, there is an ad taking over redirecting to another "you won" page.

Edit: Using a browser with ad blocking right now. 

Firstly, apologies for this. It shouldn't be happening and we are trying to combat them as much as possible.

Can you use this link to report the ad: https://www.icy-veins.com/enthusiast-gaming

Put as much detail in as possible, ranging from your browser, OS, how the ad pops up, where it popped up, etc.

19 hours ago, Blainie said:

Firstly, apologies for this. It shouldn't be happening and we are trying to combat them as much as possible.

Can you use this link to report the ad: https://www.icy-veins.com/enthusiast-gaming

Put as much detail in as possible, ranging from your browser, OS, how the ad pops up, where it popped up, etc.

Hey sure. I'm a webdeveloper but couldn't analyze so far which one redirects the browser.
Redirect happend to the website: gifstoftheholyspiritverse . top

Oneplus 5
Andoird 8.1.0 (Oxygen 5.1.1)
Chrome Mobile & Firefox Mobile

Popped up at random guides for HOTS.

Seems so far good for now. No redirects in the last 20 Minutes.

Edit:
Could'nt find any of the same ads that redirect.
I forgot that i block on my Web-Chrome ads and deactivated it. Got redirected as well.

A solution for Chrome Users:

The company said the feature would go live in Chrome 64, which is currently in the Canary and Dev channels, and not expected to be completed until January 2018. Surprisingly, the feature is already built into Chrome (even the stable version), you just have to turn it on.

The process only involves toggling a flag in Chrome's settings to 'Enabled,' and it works on both desktop and mobile. Just copy chrome://flags/#enable-framebusting-needs-sameorigin-or-usergesture and paste it in the address bar (you can't click/tap on it due to security concerns). Then just tap/click the highlighted dropdown menu, change it to 'Enabled,' and restart the browser when asked.

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/11/08/heres-protect-rogue-redirect-ads-right-now-chrome/

Edited by nevermind7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, nevermind7 said:

Hey sure. I'm a webdeveloper but couldn't analyze so far which one redirects the browser.
Redirect happend to the website: gifstoftheholyspiritverse . top

Many thanks. Hopefully with enough reports of the offending ads, they'll get removed as soon as possible and won't cause any more issues!