Shishian

Help with a friends Dps Frost

5 posts in this topic

I have recently been helping a guild mate to improve his dps and have kind of hit a roadblock. I'm not overly familiar with legion mages and the amount of frost guides to lead me to understand whats going on with his dps is lacking.  Was hoping I could get some tips for him to help boost his dps.

Here is a link to our guilds warcraft logs warcraft logs link  the player is Fuzzaap.

When running a sim for his character this is what I get mr. robot the first thing I notice is his average hit for his spells are much lower but I'm not sure what would be causing such a large difference. I have worked with him on a few things such as hitting extra ice lances that are not buffed by accident, but I'm lacking in knowledge of frost mage any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not an expert on frost spec and I'm currently at work, so cannot dig that deep into logs but one issue what I found was Water Jet usage.

First Water Jet he was able to utilize was at 54 seconds into fight. You can fit 2 FB's into single WJ and this would give you 2x FoF extra. If we look at the logs, we can see that he missed 8 possible FoF procs. Someone can correct me if wrong but I would start there.

Also add a Defiled Augment Rune, pre-pot and second potion during the fight. People really underestimate the power of pre-potting.

He seems to be having some issues keeping up Icy Veins, his uptime is only 30%, and when running a Bone Chilling spec he should have that up almost until it's available again, this does get affected by the water jet usage as previously mentioned. the faster he gets  those abilities on CD and uses the charges they give, the faster they come back up. I also like to precast a FB and maybe cast another before diving into the rotation, to try and get a few Chain Reaction stacks before going all out with the tons of FoF charges that Frozen Orb tends to give. Especially with those bracers I would try to have Chain Reaction at least 1-2 stacked before dumping lances, since it stacks with the bracer buff to make some pretty nasty Ice Lances. I'd also hold off on casting Icy Veins until he has his FoF charges ready to go, since Frozen Orb damage is pretty negligible compared to the Ice Lances it generates, and the GCD used could be the difference between Thermal Void keeping it from dropping or you being able to dump a good number of more Ice Lances in later.

And now for my most pointed out problem with rotations. ICY FLOES. USE. Put it on an easy keybind. Look up fights to where you may need to move and hit it in preparation of getting knocked around. Hit it if you have to chase something. Hit it if you're casting something with a longer cast time like Ebonbolt or Glacial Spike and really don't want to lose the cast. You used it once in a whole night of raiding. To put some perspective last time I was in ToV I hit Icy Floes 189 times. I'd also recommend speccing Shimmer in place of Cauterize, there's hardly any fights in the current raid tier where we use Cauterize to cheese mechanics and there's a grand total of zero where I've needed to use Iceblock and Cauterize. Shimmer is just too good, it allows you to blink while casting. And gives 2 charges of blink. We're almost twice as mobile with it, and we can move around with zero loss to dps. Yes, cauterize can be used for Helya, but so can Iceblock and it doesn't require you to spec out of Shimmer to use.

Doing mage dps basically comes down to always casting something. Any time you find yourself confused as to what to hit next, just default to a Frostbolt, get the gaps out of the rotation, figure out how to use Icy Floes, stay within 40 yards of the boss so you can always be shooting them with something. Oh, and water jet. And as the Qllix mentioned, use potions. If you can't afford to double pot every pull with Deadly Grace, use prolonged powers, I find them to be almost identical for frost in terms of damage output, and they are so much cheaper.

Thanks for the help I'll pass this info onto him and hopefully it will make more sense to him. 

I am also new to Frost Mage and have one question regarding your suggestions: what exactly is water jet?
I understand that is is somtething the Water Elemental uses, but i cannot see it in its bar. Also, is there a way to activate it myself or is it just happening from time to time?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By monkeygin
      Hey,
      I used to be proud of my parses, doing 85-90%+ parses at ilvl 878 or so. Since then I've geared up and feel like my stats are in the right place (though mastery could be a bit higher). Now I'm parsing at 52-65% even though I don't think I'm doing anything majorly different with my rotation, and I even have the 2pc t19...

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, please take a look if you have some time.

Warcraft logs (star augus). I'm "Monkeygin":
      878 (12 days ago):
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/Fmyb9vAdZ3jwgc1K#fight=8&type=damage-done&view=analytical
      888 (5 days ago):
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DxF7bgy8V9Q1cjWp#fight=23&type=damage-done
      889 (yesterday):
      https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/tMm3LgWVDG1cCy8b#view=analytical&type=damage-done

(I held my meta burst for bloodlust to try it out... didn't work out so well it seems.)

Armory:
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/magtheridon/Monkeygin/advanced

Thanks

• By Devkarin
      Hey to all my warlock-collegues,
      i´m playing aff since vanilla now and it is still my prefered spec (maybe try once Demo to see how it flows) but im always trying to improve my performance.
      I´m not aiming a "orange performance" at Warcraftlogs but purple oder upper blue shold be targeted. SO i just ask here to get some tip where i can improve my performance, cause many eyes and brains work better than just a single one and just using SimCraft is not the best way i think-
      So feel free to get some informations what you think about could work (talents, rotation, gear/stats etc pp).
      Following my armory an some logs of our "Twink&Community-Starter Raid" where we are mostly using Twinks and carrying non-riders out of the Community to show them every raid that is available. Normaly i´m raiding NH HC 9/10.
      Armory Link - Laneana
      Warcraftogs - Twink&Carry nhc
      Thanks for any support.
    • By Mike14107
      1. Times available & time zone:
      <The Mafia> Raids Tuesday/Thursday from 6pm-9pm PST.  We also run alt/non-raider raids on Wednesdays that are optional for everyone from 6pm-9pm PST.
      2. Server preference:
      <The Mafia> is a day one HORDE FROSTWOLF guild. Frostwolf is a medium pop PvP joint server with Vashj.
      3. Hardcore/semi-hardcore/casual:
      <The Mafia> is a semi-hardcore PvE progression guild. We just started Mythic raiding at the tail end of 7.1.  We raid ~6 hours a week UNLESS in a rare circumstance we are close to killing a boss and everyone wants to schedule an additional raid day or stay 30min to an hour after scheduled raid times.
      5. Current progression/experience:
      <The Mafia> is 7/7 M EN, 3/3 H ToV, 10/10H NH and 1/10 M NH.
      6. Recent logs (if available):
      If you want to look at our current logs to see what kind of players we currently have you can find us @ https://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/22446
      7. Contact info:
      Feel free to add me @ Mike#14107
      8. Anything else:
      <The Mafia> is a super friendly day one Frostwolf guild.  Our primary objective is to have fun in an environment that is as stress free as possible.  Our goal isn’t to be a top 200 US guild, but instead to clear the content before the next set of content is released.  Not saying we wouldn’t be able to get there, we just don’t have the top 100 guild pressure environment others do.  We have some really skilled players and are looking for a few more to round out our Mythic raiding team.  Please contact me with logs if interested.  Thanks!
    • By Violentravi
      Hello,
      Adelante is currently recruiting DPS & Heals, however, all competent players will be considered.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 1/10M NH, 10/10H NH 6/7M EN and 3/3H TOV.  As far as classes go we do not have a Moonkin, Mage, Feral Druid, or any type of Monk. We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM Eastern.  Thursday is not considered a raid night, but we will often clear Heroic and Normal on this evening for AP and it is not required. We are pushing progression on Il'gynoth, and look forward to finishing off EN then moving on to Nighthold, we will be intermittently working on Mythic TOV.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that, if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
      If you are interested, please PM me (violentravi#1826) or recruiting officer Sepsis (tuxedomask#1712) in game.  However, if you have time (which goes a long way) for us to give you a real evaluation there is a short forum to fill out linked on our discord: https://discord.gg/JMVuYRW

Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho & the Guild